Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 15137 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
I didn't read through the entire thread, so this probably has been said already.

Xbox as a brand is seen as the late comer. Microsoft was once seen as a greedy company bent on world-domination that already held too much market-share in other areas (although Sony was the same story) breaking into the games business trying to make a buck, while seemingly not having anything special to offer. Then, there is the fact of the matter that generally, niche Japanese developers don't market their games on Xbox very often. The majority of OG Xbox games are "American" or European in game style, lots of action-based games.

Also due to a lot of willful ignorance, many naysayers don't adequately research the library and just assume there are no games that are exclusive, when in fact, there are many if you count games that were on Windows, but not PS2 or GameCube. Plenty of games that you've probably not heard of unless you were big into PC games in the early 2000s, and you most likely won't ever, unless they happen to show up on Steam or something. Not to mention several Dreamcast projects ended up coming to OG Xbox.

It's just fanboyism really.

not fanboyism really

The title of this thread is also kinda wrong I would rather say ignore xbox not hate.

As far as ignorance go, many have a big back log as it is for playing them games that they already own, why would some even consider starting to collect for xbox if other consoles are far more superior as it is in both options and quality. Time is also something that can be a rarity to some better use it on the better consoles just saying. Some barely have time to play some games when that's the case it would not be wise to go to xbox unless you have nostalgia for the system or have some nice time to spent.

That's the main reason if you would ask me time.

I wouldn't consider other consoles superior, unless your sole determining factor is genre and you specifically want certain types of games that the Xbox doesn't have, like JRPGs. It's also difficult to fault any 6th gen console for lacking in 2D games, during the height of 3D game popularity. You might say the same about N64, which had few 2D style games and lacked in several genres. But for me, it was an excellent console, with plenty of greats within the genres I enjoy so there's no sense in me complaining that it wasn't more well rounded. I like 3D games just fine, so again can't complain about the lull during the late 90s / early 2000s.

I picked up most of my Xbox games years ago, mostly between $3 - $5 each, so it was no big deal for me to invest in an Xbox collection. Many of the games I got were not on PS2, although it's widely believed that most which are, actually look and play better on Xbox. Xbox supports 480p a lot more often than PS2, I believe. Xbox is most worthwhile if you enjoy games from the early 2000s, if you were big into PC games at that time, or were disappointed when Dreamcast came to an end. If you aren't nostalgic for that era, then maybe not. But if you're a gamer/collector with a broad focus and interest on console gaming, then Xbox is a relatively low price of admission you can't go wrong with.

On the other hand, Atari Jaguar, you can go wrong with. You can pay steep price for the console, and find out there were about 70 games. Most of which aren't exactly cheap, many of which were not exclusive, and the rest of which are of questionable quality at best. Xbox is not Atari Jaguar.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:57:48 pm by Warmsignal »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 12:56:56 pm »
I didn't read through the entire thread, so this probably has been said already.

Xbox as a brand is seen as the late comer. Microsoft was once seen as a greedy company bent on world-domination that already held too much market-share in other areas (although Sony was the same story) breaking into the games business trying to make a buck, while seemingly not having anything special to offer. Then, there is the fact of the matter that generally, niche Japanese developers don't market their games on Xbox very often. The majority of OG Xbox games are "American" or European in game style, lots of action-based games.

Also due to a lot of willful ignorance, many naysayers don't adequately research the library and just assume there are no games that are exclusive, when in fact, there are many if you count games that were on Windows, but not PS2 or GameCube. Plenty of games that you've probably not heard of unless you were big into PC games in the early 2000s, and you most likely won't ever, unless they happen to show up on Steam or something. Not to mention several Dreamcast projects ended up coming to OG Xbox.

not fanboyism really

The title of this thread is also kinda wrong I would rather say ignore xbox not hate.

As far as ignorance go, many have a big back log as it is for playing them games that they already own, why would some even consider starting to collect for xbox if other consoles are far more superior as it is in both options and quality. Time is also something that can be a rarity to some better use it on the better consoles just saying. Some barely have time to play some games when that's the case it would not be wise to go to xbox unless you have nostalgia for the system or have some nice time to spent.

That is the the most generic argument ever
 That could apply to ANY console with that logic, hardly just Xbox. What if I was a Nintendo fanboy with a huge backlog? Should I not play PlayStation because of it? B.S.

I think their point was, popularity wise, if most people have a PS 2 (It did sell way more consoles) and a backlog for that system that’s a big enough investment to deter them from seeking out another console that will grow that backlog and delay them finishing the one they already have on their console of choice.

Like if my lease hasn’t expired on my current car and it’s getting the job done... why even explore getting another just yet?

I kinda get it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:58:39 pm by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »

not fanboyism really

I wouldn't consider other consoles superior, unless your sole determining factor is genre and you specifically want certain types of games that the Xbox doesn't have, like JRPGs. It's also difficult to fault any 6th gen console for lacking in 2D games, during the height of 3D game popularity. You might say the same about N64, which had few 2D style games and lacked in several genres. But for me, it was an excellent console, with plenty of greats within the genres I enjoy so there's no sense in me complaining that it wasn't more well rounded. I like 3D games just fine, so again can't complain about the lull during the late 90s / early 2000s.

I picked up most of my Xbox games years ago, mostly between $3 - $5 each, so it was no big deal for me to invest in an Xbox collection. Many of the games I got were not on PS2, although it's widely believed that most which are, actually look and play better on Xbox. Xbox supports 480p a lot more often than PS2, I believe. Xbox is most worthwhile if you enjoy games from the early 2000s, if you were big into PC games at that time, or were disappointed when Dreamcast came to an end. If you aren't nostalgic for that era, then maybe not. But if you're a gamer/collector with a broad focus and interest on console gaming, then Xbox is a relatively low price of admission you can't go wrong with.

On the other hand, Atari Jaguar, you can go wrong with. You can pay step price for the console, and find out there were about 70s games. Most of which aren't exactly cheap, many of which were not exclusive, and the rest of which are of questionable quality at best. Xbox is not Atari Jaguar.

your right atari jaguar only has very few good games not even super outstanding ones let alone the high prices sure xbox is better than that console.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
Jaguar is a tough cat to love.

Very expensive. But it does have its gems:

Wolfenstein (best console version out at the time)
Doom (best console version out at the time)
Alien vs Predator
NBA Jam (nearly Arcade perfect)
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier
Total carnage (Arcade perfect)

Off the top of my head.

There is absolutely no comparison between it and the original Xbox.

Also as was mentioned before softmoding an original Xbox is very easy. Totally reversible and the emulation and homebrew available for it is amazing.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:07:54 pm by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

Also as was mentioned before softmoding an original Xbox is very easy. Totally reversible and the emulation and homebrew available for it is amazing.

Fair enough personally no experience with the jaguar so who am I to judge.

As far as xbox goes

coin ops is pretty good for those arcade game and console emulators, doesn't help the xbox library though as far as this topic goes.

That being said allot of people use a retro pi or something for emulating arcade games and such but the xbox is a cheaper option.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

Fair enough personally no experience with the jaguar so who am I to judge.

As far as xbox goes

coin ops is pretty good for those arcade game and console emulators, doesn't help the xbox library though as far as this topic goes.

That being said allot of people use a retro pi or something for emulating arcade games and such but the xbox is a cheaper option.

You are totally right the Jag is not worth it for all but die hard collectors. I just wanted to provide the list of golden oldies for folks still thinking of jumping into it.

Just curious why how easy the Xbox console is to open up and play retro games on via emulation is not fair game/criteria in a discussion about how retro gamers feel about it?

It’s literally the only console from that generation capable of emulating:
Mame
Genesis
Game gear
Atari
ColecoVision
Master system
Nes
Snes
N64
PlayStation 1

Many of the above in 720p, full speed, with filters.

Also direct (PC accurate) homebrew ports of Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Beats of Rage.

No hardware mods required.

It’s honestly the retro gamers holy grail and the console is still dirt cheap and easy to find.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:34:25 pm by dashv »

Warmsignal

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 01:39:16 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

Those are some perfectly acceptable games sure, but I think they're all available elsewhere for cheaper, and on consoles with better controllers (now). So that is how one could go wrong, in theory. My premise is that you can't go wrong with Xbox, well unless you're after JRPGs.

I just get tired of trying to explain how the Xbox is actually quite good. It seems obvious. There's a lot of aversion to it, that doesn't need to be. You can still find an OG Xbox really cheap, so the excuse of money or backlog seems petty to me. When mine died last year, I picked up another unit for $10. I got many of my games on the cheap as well, I'll get around to playing them all someday. They aren't going anywhere. If people actively want to ignore or dislike it, just out of need to oppose something or be on a team, that's their thing I guess.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

Those are some perfectly acceptable games sure, but I think they're all available elsewhere for cheaper, and on consoles with better controllers (now). So that is how one could go wrong, in theory. My premise is that you can't go wrong with Xbox, well unless you're after JRPGs.

I just get tired of trying to explain how the Xbox is actually quite good. It seems obvious. There's a lot of aversion to it, that doesn't need to be. You can still find an OG Xbox really cheap, so the excuse of money or backlog seems petty to me. When mine died last year, I picked up another unit for $10. I got many of my games on the cheap as well, I'll get around to playing them all someday. They aren't going anywhere. If people actively want to ignore or dislike it, just out of need to oppose something or be on a team, that's their thing I guess.

I agree with you on all counts. (I actually own 10 original Xbox consoles because I keep finding them for $10 and can’t help myself).

I also see and understand other folks feeling differently.

Depending on the game/experience I’m looking for $10 is not a big deal to me. I own many copies of several games across platforms. Sometimes I get them as an homage to the accomplishment. There is no practical reason to own a Jaguar. As you said, better cheaper alternatives exist for all but AvP and Iron Soldier. But I respect the American made console and what it managed to get right at the time and want to own that part of history. I wonder what might have been if their original plan to have AvP available at launch had panned out. It’s damn impressive for the time. No other console could even come close to reproducing that game at the time.

Some folks don’t want to/can’t part with $1. Depending on their budget/circumstances that’s entirely legitimate. So each purchase is a careful choice for them that has to fall in their comfort zone.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:51:41 pm by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

I agree with you on all counts. (I actually own 10 original Xbox consoles because I keep finding them for $10 and can’t help myself).

Depending on the game/experience I’m looking for $10 is not a big deal to me. I own many copies of several games across platforms. Sometimes I get them as an homage to the accomplishment. There is no practical reason to own a Jaguar. As you said, better cheaper alternatives exist for all but AvP and Iron Soldier. But I respect the American made console and what it managed to get right at the time and want to own that part of history. I wonder what might have been if their original plan to have AvP available at launch had panned out. It’s damn impressive for the time. No other console could even come close to reproducing that game at the time.

Some folks don’t want to/can’t part with $1. Depending on their budget/circumstances that’s entirely legitimate. So each purchase is a careful choice for them that has to fall in their comfort zone.

I highly doubt it is the price that can prevent people from buying one.

You also have to consider that it takes up space, an xbox console is quite the heavy beast, also if you go and buy a stack of games that will also fill up those shelves pretty well and if you don't use them it can be annoying to some.

If you dislike or plan to not really use an item, it will only take up space wich in turn can make people decide not to collect for xbox.

Also as far as atari jaguar goes

alien vs predator on the jaguar was an exclusive if i am not mistaken if not to wich console was it ported to, or are we just talking about steam or emulators.

Warmsignal

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »

Alien vs Predator
Rayman
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier

Off the top of my head.

That's a perfectly fine point to make, actually. It's just that people seem to try and rationalize it differently, by saying things like "I don't have an Xbox because it pretty much sucks". That's just being all around dishonest. Why build an excuse for not having it, to elevate yourself as being above having it? People do that kind of thing all of the time, and not just regarding game consoles.

I agree, if you're a hardcore game collector. I totally get the desire to collect Jaguar, even above many other consoles. I went into it blindly thinking it would be a practical type of console to play, and was sorely mistaken. I didn't realize the extent to which it doesn't hold up today, when I bought mine. But as a piece of gaming history, it would be really neat to collect for.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »
Sworddude:
There is affordability and value.

While there are some that I’m sure are still avoiding due to raw price I agree most folks probably aren’t avoiding it because it’s $10. More because it’s “not worth their $10” for the reasons you mentioned. They don’t want to make space, step out of comfort zone, they don’t want to spend any money on a dirty used console that old when they already have a PS2 that still works, etc.

AvP was a jag exclusive title and a great title. But I don’t think it’s $200 great (cost of console and game). I meant no other console could do the complex 3D with texture mapped environments and true transparency let alone at the framerate and resolution the Jag pumped it out. The other consoles just didn’t have that kind of horsepower. Remember they were competing with SNES, Genesis, and 3DO at the time and they were half the cost of a 3DO. Gotta admit that’s technically freaking impressive. :)

Warmsignal:
Totally get it. And you are right it’s bigger than gaming. It’s typical now days for folks to have the attitude “I feel this way about blah for my own personal reasons.” Therefore logic, facts, common sense, and everything else aside... blah is stupid as is anyone who likes blah.”
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:27:33 pm by dashv »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 01:49:12 pm »

not fanboyism really

That could apply to ANY console with that logic, hardly just Xbox. What if I was a Nintendo fanboy with a huge backlog? Should I not play PlayStation because of it? B.S.

I think their point was, popularity wise, if most people have a PS 2 (It did sell way more consoles) and a backlog for that system that’s a big enough investment to deter them from seeking out another console that will grow that backlog and delay them finishing the one they already have on their console of choice.

Like if my lease hasn’t expired on my current car and it’s getting the job done... why even explore getting another just yet?

I kinda get it.

I understood that fine, I just think it's a stupid argument. That's a personal problem, not an XBox as a brand or a console problem. Your backlog is your fault, not XBox's.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:51:03 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 03:40:35 pm »

not fanboyism really

I kinda get it.

I understood that fine, I just think it's a stupid argument. That's a personal problem, not an XBox as a brand or a console problem. Your backlog is your fault, not XBox's.

you must be quite the xbox fanboy  ::)

Besides I think the biggest reason is not only back log but just time. Time in general.

Why would you spend your time on xbox if you could spend it on games of the 8 or 16 bit era. Or those arcade games. Or maybe those early 3d days with ps1 or n64 wich have great party titles with friends. old pc games many classics. I'm pretty sure many hardcore xbox collector or players have nostalgia for the system but for those nintendo sega or even sony players xbox has little to offer.

Between sega sony and nintendo there are tons of games that many of different groups can enjoy since they mix or the same series or have allot similarities in gameplay, I can't say the same for  xbox.

Gamecube and ps2 have many gems or even wii aside from many excellent games plenty of master pieces to actually go to such consoles wich xbox has none off. Shenmue II is not an xbox game it's a dreamcast game people will play the dreamcast version even though it might be superior on xbox.

I have played plenty of xbox many of the better titles not lacking to much interesting stuff really.

In my opinion Xbox is a good console it has some good games but It's not a super great console and it most definitly does not have superb master pieces like many other consoles aside from lacking excellent games in general.

Back in the day it was a number 1 or number 2 console it was life for many but just like most of It's mainstream library the actual mainstream crowd has moved on from xbox and play xbox one or ps4 games now. However for the crowd that plays older games Xbox has not much to offer and therefore is ignored. In those era of consoles gamecube and ps2 actually do have many memorable master pieces aside from tons of excellent games.

it's really nice and all that xbox is so cheap to collect for but if it lacks interesting stuff compared to other consoles not to mention for many of those xbox exclusive good games you do not pay low dollar prices if you want them right now that is. So really super cheap it is not to collect for xbox for the stuff that might lure people in who play old sony sega or nintendo games to grab an xbox.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:47:18 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 03:47:18 pm »
I'm an XBox fanboy? It's not that you seem to have an illogical hate for XBox? Because you've replied to every positive reply in this thread with a wall of text. You are the type of person this thread is exactly about.

I own consoles from all major companies. I'm not a fanboy of any one of them, in particular. And the only major console maker I dislike is Atari.

sworddude

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »
I'm an XBox fanboy? It's not that you seem to have an illogical hate for XBox? Because you've replied to every positive reply in this thread with a wall of text. You are the type of person this thread is exactly about.

I own consoles from all major companies. I'm not a fanboy of any one of them, in particular. And the only major console maker I dislike is Atari.

Me hate for xbox?

I own 70 + xbox games and have played many of the xbox classics except halo you serious man   ::)

Just saying it is not a super great console compared to others wich is the reason why many people ignore it that's all.

Just stating some facts why many people might not chose to invest time in xbox.

not to mention I only reacted to pretty much your comments exclusively since in my opinion they are far from correct, it is a discussion post after all.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:04:50 pm by sworddude »