Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Magnavox Odyssey 2  (Read 1497 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Magnavox Odyssey 2
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and today I'm going to review the Magnavox Odyssey Squared, I mean the Magnavox Odyssey 2. 

Magnavox Odyssey 2

History:
In 1978 Magnavox released an improved model of the Odyssey to go up against Atari, The Odyssey 2. Overseas the system was released under the Phillips, Ether as the Odyssey or Videopac.

How did it do?
Vary well, selling over 2 million systems and was made until early 1984.

Graphics:
A step back from Atari, really blocky graphics but the games where clearer and sharper due to Atari's Screen flicker.

Is this system still fun to play?
Yes, It's games are outdated and simplistic but it will still give you some fun and you'll get a laugh if you have the Voice hooked up. Playing KC Krazy Chase the Voice cheers you on. lol

What games are worth playing?
Games like KC Munchkin, KC Krazy Chase, Pickaxe Pete and Demon Attack are a few I enjoyed.

How many versions are there?
Two in the states, they look the same but later models had silver removable controllers instead of the hardwired black ones. But overseas there was several versions, even ones that had a built in monitor.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
These systems hold up pretty well, The only issue to watch out for is the hardwired controllers. The cords are real thin and could be damaged easy. The systems run pretty cheap for the most part, you can pick up a console (even with games) for around $30. The Removable controllers model is tougher to find. Games for this system are cheap too for the most part, most you can pick up under $5 but there are a few rare ones that could cost you as high as $50 plus. But getting into Import consoles is a whole other monster, many versions are extremely rare and could cost you some serious cash.

My Experience with the Console
The Odyssey 2 was my second gaming console I ever owned. It was also the first console I ever lost. My Dad bought me and my brothers an Odyssey 2 and while it was no Atari I still loved it. But one day it stopped working, My mom gave it to a friend who thought he could fix it then not long after that my family moved and it was left behind. Later in life when I was bicycling to garage sales I picked up a new one. And have been collecting for it ever sense. I love playing around with the Voice, making say the silliest things, friends love making it say immature things, it's funny how it says “adult” words. lol   

Final Thoughts
The Odyssey 2 is a classic in every way, if you want to play some really old school games that are primitive but still playable I recommend an Odyssey 2. They are cheap to collect and still has some enjoyment value.

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out. Sorry reviews been going up late, been really busy on Saturdays lately.

Leave reply's on your experience with the Odyssey 2. I would love to hear them.  :D
Next week we look at what is technically the first 16bit game console.

By the Numbers: 59 people own an Odyssey 2 on Vgcollect, and 5 own Import versions.

Past Reviews:
Interton VC 4000
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:05:05 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: My 8-Bits: Magnavox Odyssey 2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:53:17 pm »
Very cool! Never played one of these, but I've heard a lot about them.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 02:29:46 pm »
Very cool! Never played one of these, but I've heard a lot about them.

K.c. Muchkin sadly never became the new pacman. They are such good games! Get an emu or watch a video and check them both out. Highly Recommended!

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:13:27 pm »
waiting for this one

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:36:54 am »
I love my Odyssey 2.  I initially found out about it from Mark on Classic Game Room and bought one last year.  K.C. Munchkin is a fantastic game that makes the system wortg owning in my opinion. I also had a lot of fun with War of Nerves.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:32:59 am »

In 1978 Magnavox released an improved model of the Odyssey to go up against Atari, The Odyssey 2. Overseas the system was released under the Phillips, Ether as the Odyssey or Videopac.

This isn't true at all, they released it with the intention to be a basic computer and educational and changed later.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »
We sold ours at a garage sale for 25 cents (I think) back in the early 90s.  I can't say I really miss it that much since I had if for so long, but there were some unique games for it for sure.  I remember playing UFO & Pick Axe Pete a lot, but I saw a video on PAP recently and it didn't make any sense to me.