Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 63981 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2023, 07:50:01 pm »
Fourth season of Solar Opposites was a step up from the third, but still not as good as 1 or 2.  The Silvercops stuff still feels like an attempt to recapture the Wall storylines.  Enjoy Dan Stevens taking over as Korvo.

Telemarketers - Charmingly amateur and lo-fi docu series about two affable stoners who are feed up with the BS their telemarketing company is getting up to and decide to become whistle-blower.  A little too long, like so many docu series these days, but doesn't outstay its welcome.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:39:40 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2023, 01:35:22 am »
Gamera: Rebirth - Unfortunately, I could only get through most of the first episode, I thought it was awful.  I don't think it knows what it wants to be.  There are three distinct art styles going on, where you have drawn, well detailed, backgrounds, and then you have very flat, stiff, low frames 3D humans and some other elements, and then there's the monsters that are this harsh, over-detailed, higher frames, style, and it's all conflicting with each other.  As a story, I know Gamera has had a long history of kid stuff, Godzilla did too for a time, but it again has very conflicting styles.  It's an end of summer friendship story between some teens, which is what a lot of the first half of the episode is, and then you have straight military/science stuff for that side of things.  You have violence like people getting eaten and quick shots of people getting their limbs taken off with monster lasers, no blood, but also one of the kids is saying "fuck" in the first episode. It wasn't to be harsh and violent, but also very kid friendly and light, but it's also about monsters killing people...

I don't know if I can give it another shot.  The bit I saw of Gamera looked fine, but it keeps cutting with jarring art styles and the explosion effects don't feel like they match either  I didn't really like most of the Godzilla anime trilogy films, but they were at least cohesive in their art style.  It's frustrating, because this was a long needed revival of Gamera, but this show looks terrible.  I don't even care if the story is good, I just don't want to watch it.  I don't know if this was a budget thing or bad direction on part of the studio.  It's rough, I don't even know if I'd recommend it to hardcore Gamera fans, maybe they could put up with it, but my love of Gamera is much lower than my love of Godzilla, so I don't know if I can put up with it.

« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2023, 02:46:40 pm »
I've watched the first 3 Comedy Central seasons of Futurama, and while being more inconsistent with wider gaps between the peaks and valleys it is still really damned good overall.

Second season of 12 Monkeys is generally better than the first.  They're doing a lot with an obviously tiny budget on this show.  It's supposed to just better with each season, so I'm excited to see where it goes, even ifit does feel kinda like Dark for Dummies.

Finished the Comedy Central run of Futurama, and the final season is the best and most consistent of that era.  Game of Tones still makes me cry and Meanwhile is a great finale.  Hulu episodes are up next!

Castlevania: Nocturne - Really good follow-up series.  Gorgeous animation and great voice acting.  It is a bit if a set-up season which was both expected and disappointing. Needs to add a bit more depth to the Big Bad, though, as they are totally outshined by the subordinates.

Finally finished off Ahsoka.  It's fine. The back half is way stronger than the front half, but still feels pretty sterile throughout.  An OK series that probably would have been better as a movie.  Ray Stevenson got a terrific final role with Baylan Skoll, easily the most interesting part of the series.

The long, long overdue third season of Party Down.  It didn't miss a step after over a decade.  There are two episodes that I'd consider the best of the entire run.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:24:47 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #423 on: October 26, 2023, 01:14:24 am »
Super Cub - I've been in the mood for real chill anime stuff, so I finally got around to watching Super Cub, a cute slice-of-life anime, about some highschool girls that have mopeds.  Very wholesome, very light, I just have a thing for anime shows that have like this very narrow niche to get engaged by.  It's like finding someone who does really involved, over an hour long videos about some random thing on Youtube, I love that stuff.  Silver Spoons with its agriculture school setting dealing with farming and such, or Moyasimon with it's agriculture school setting dealing with brewing and the like, yes, I have watched two Japanese anime shows about agriculture schools lol

No real complaints with Super Cub, it does what it needs to.  The drama they have in episode 11 is a little forced I feel, but it doesn't take away too much.

« Reply #424 on: November 04, 2023, 08:07:46 am »
Silo - First time ever getting Apple TV, they really didn't have too much I was interested in for a long while, but there's a couple shows that looked pretty good and the Godzilla show is coming up, so I figured I'd finally jump in.  I'm a big post-apocalyptic fan, and the setup for this show feels very Fallout with everyone locked inside a bunker for many decades, but I gotta say this show is great.   I don't want to talk about anything with the story in particular, but I thought they did a pretty good job and I'm really interested to see where another season goes.

« Reply #425 on: November 04, 2023, 07:06:51 pm »
The Fall of the House of Usher - I liked this one a lot.  It's got more black humor than Flanagan's other shows and probably sticks the landing better than any of the others.  Generally pretty cool and interesting takes on several Poe stories.

« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2023, 01:23:44 am »
Attack on Titan - It's finally finished after all these years.  Crazy it took this long and took two studios to do it.  I think I need to settle more on things to gather what I really feel on it, I think overall I'm okay with the story, I still think my favorite stuff was the first three seasons, when it's all dealing with stuff on the island.  The mystery, the drama, the constant threat of titans, that was always the most engaging to me.  But I did get a little emotional towards the end, I'm a big sap like that, but I liked it.

« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2023, 08:27:19 pm »
The new Futurama season is pretty alright.  Generally on par with the CC seasons, though the anthology episode is pretty rough.  They've not been able to make them work since the FOX years.

« Reply #428 on: November 11, 2023, 01:09:37 am »
For All Mankind: Season 1 - Going through what Apple has and decided to start up For All Mankind, a realistic space exploration show with the slight twist of changing up history, where the USA wasn't the first to the moon, Russia was.  It's not like some big crazy scifi story, it's not Wolfenstein or The Man on the High Castle, it's just a shift to create this concept where the space race didn't stop, tackling the idea of "What if we kept trying to push for more in space?" So more moon trips, building a base, and the hazards and trials of doing so.  It's really good, a lot of great drama, covering like a...10 to 15 year time span from the first walk on the moon, to the mid-70's.  I do recommend it, a good watch, I'm already starting into the next season.

« Reply #429 on: November 11, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
Twisted Metal was a total blast.  I don't know jack about the games, but this felt like the perfect mix of action, camp, and humor.  It gets a little quip happy at times, but I enjoyed it a lot.

« Reply #430 on: November 11, 2023, 05:52:15 pm »
Twisted Metal was a total blast.  I don't know jack about the games, but this felt like the perfect mix of action, camp, and humor.  It gets a little quip happy at times, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I really need to get back to watching it, I watched the first episode, but didn't get to the rest, but I really liked what I was watching.  Still wild that Twisted Metal of all things has a show lol Now if I could just get a remaster of Twisted Metal 2, I'd love that.

« Reply #431 on: November 14, 2023, 08:48:48 am »
Murder, She Wrote - It's really starting to show the seams in Season Nine.  There are still some fun mysteries spaced throughout, but there are also far more stories that are poorly constructed and relying on outlandish or silly contrivances.

Our Flag Means Death - I love this weird little show.  I might actually prefer the second season.  Briskly paced, and the cheapness adds to the charm.  Love the new characters, and laughed a lot.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:06:43 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2023, 12:10:28 am »
For All Mankind: Season 2 - Another good season, this one dealing with the aspects of moon base life and that of a very intense cold war situation.  While I'm not always in love with the interpersonal drama that happens outside of the actual space stuff, it does have importance to the story in the end, it's not drama just for the sake of it.  Definitely continues to be a solid show, looking forward to this next season and the next era of the space race.

« Reply #433 on: November 16, 2023, 09:08:32 pm »
Watched the final batch of episodes of Disenchantment. It's got several really funny bits, and i like a lot of the characters, but I've never really cared for the serialized bits, and it leans really hard on them in the last stretch.

« Reply #434 on: November 18, 2023, 03:21:07 am »
For All Mankind: Season 3 - Another good season, dealing with a literal space race to Mars which was pretty exciting.  There was one bit of interpersonal drama that I didn't really love in this season coming from the second season, it still works toward the greater drama of the show, it's just a weird story to keep pushing lol  Overall still good, been burning through everything pretty quickly really which is always a good sign for a show to me, especially after three seasons and I'm glad I have a fourth to go through to see the next jump into the future of this whole space expedition experience.