Author Topic: August 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 9438 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

August 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
Was just in Gamestop & couldn't resist picking up that one lone copy of "Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom" PSP game that'd been...

*VEXING*

me (w/ its mere existence & refusal to sell)
 :-[

On the "nice" side, though - when I went to ring it up...I found out that it was on sale for $10 less than it was priced at (on its stickers)  8)

I'd have been *really* pissed if it had sold w/o me knowing that...seeing as I'd been *WAITING* for that exact $10 price-drop to buy it  :o

Anyhow, I have a 'feeling' that this one's gonna' be rare/hard to find soon...and (when it comes to the games for the 6 consoles/handhelds that I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in)...these 'feelings' are ~95% of the time right  ;D

Another "weird little side-story/note":

I was in Gamestop a few days ago & saw a guy getting ready to re-sell a pretty big pile of PS2, PS3, XBox, and DS games.
The 1st (top) game that I noticed he was selling was Pokemon SoulSilver DS/NA.

Now, I knew that this was already going for $20 - $25 (Used) on their shelves...

I pulled the guy aside (there were people in front of him) and told him straight-out that:
"I'll give you $10 for it/cash...if they offer you less".

He agreed.

I was right behind him in line then (waiting to pick up my Growlanser pre-orders)...and the cashier scanned the game & said that they'd give him

$3.50...

(IN *STORE* CREDIT)...

for the game  ;)

...He then proceeded to ignore me, act like I wasn't there/never talked to him, accepted their offer, and left w/o a word or even a glance or explanation/apology...

Anyone have *ANY* ideas on wtf some possible reasons/explanations for doing/acting like this might be - 'cause...I'm truly at a loss here :(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

Re: August 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »
Ive met people like that. I was in a Vintage stock a while ago. This girl come in with a box full of NES/SNES stuff. I could see all 3 castlevania games, flintstones 1, among others. Id say 25 NES games and close to 15 SNES games along with the systems and lots of cords/controllers. They offered like $20 for everything. They immediately took it. I told them I would give them 3 times that. They looked at me like I was intruding on their space and ran off.

The moral of the story is : People are jackasses everywhere :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »

The moral of the story is : People are jackasses everywhere :D

Ha, Ha, Ha!

While this is undeniably the (sad) truth...couldn't/wouldn't even a "jackass" realize that TEN Dollars is more/better than THREE Dollars & FIFTY Cents  :-\

Again...WTF?!

I *HATE* things/people that I don't understand/can't figure-out what/why their thinking is what it is...must be the 'inner-counselor/psychologist' in me  ::)

...Just another one of my weird "things"!
 ;)

soera

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »
You would assume ... Especially when its $10 cash vs $3.50 store credit. I cant explain it either. But then I go to thrift stores everyday and see all the stuff that is donated. I just saw a fully functional wood chipper at one. Anyone that paid for one knows what it cost and knows for certain that they could sell it but instead loaded it up and gave it to a thrift store. Its crazy but people are weird.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »
Yea it definitely is strange, but at the same time without those same people like you stated above thrift stores would be awful. Who would donate the rare video games if we didn't have these idiots?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »

Yea it definitely is strange, but at the same time without those same people like you stated above thrift stores would be awful. Who would donate the rare video games if we didn't have these idiots?

Hah!

You're right - and, you also just managed to find the full half of my empty glass; so Thanks!

soera

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »
Oh, Im not complaining about idiots ... just saying they are out there! :P

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:15:16 am »
Would you be happy if you had to sell your collection or part of it and get pennies on the dollar? Its no excuse for rudeness but I kinda feel bad for them

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »
Would you be happy if you had to sell your collection or part of it and get pennies on the dollar? Its no excuse for rudeness but I kinda feel bad for them

Yeah...but if times ever became that hard for me where I had to break-up/sell my collection...I damned sure would *NOT* be selling it at a Gamestop :P

Back on topic...I noticed that the new/sealed copies of {Lollipop Chainsaw} were already on sale for $20 off of the original MSRP; so I picked one up for myself :)

scott

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »

Yeah...but if times ever became that hard for me where I had to break-up/sell my collection...I damned sure would *NOT* be selling it at a Gamestop :P

Back on topic...I noticed that the new/sealed copies of {Lollipop Chainsaw} were already on sale for $20 off of the original MSRP; so I picked one up for myself :)

Hmm, I may need to look into that.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 08:37:31 am »
@SCOTT:

Just a little heads-up, Scott...

I found it for $20 off of the MSRP at my local Gamestop.

They were still being shown, displayed, and 'stickered' at $59.99.

I'd been in the same store a day or 2 earlier for something else, and clearly remembered seeing "$20.00 off" stickers right under some of the $59.99 stickers.

Today, none of them still had the $20 off stickers on them, and, the "on-sale" price wasn't clearly displayed anywhere that I could see, at least.

There were 3 guys working the store (2 of them friends of mine -and- the 3rd was a *MANAGER* from another local store..."helping-out".

I decided to give the "new" guy a little test...

I brought Lollipop up, put it on the counter, and had him ring it up...

He rang it up - and told me I owed him $59.99 (I'm sure that, had I let it slide, he would have been more than happy to later 'pocket' that additional $20 of mine)!

I was about to tear him a new one, manager or not (no, let me be honest...MORE SO because it was a manager who knew what he was doing; instead of a new cashier who could have potentially made the same mistake).

My friend (this store's *regular* manager saw me about to lose it), came over and *HEARTILY* apologized for his co-workers "accidentally ringing it up incorrectly :)

took off not only the $20 that should have been reduced in the first place -but- an additional $20 for my "inconvenience" (read: not reporting/getting this other guy fired).

So, I got it for $20!

Just, Caveat Emptor (and all of that, Scott)!

Nothing crooked cashiers hate more than an informed & knowledgeable buyer :P

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »
Decided to go to flea markets today... seems like it wasn't a great idea considering the thunderstorms and such, but I still came out with something.

At my usual reseller I got Blinx on Xbox and a complete in box Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Rantoh Hen on Super Famicom.

The other Flea Market had nothing.

Then I went to some random thrift store-like place. Came out with an old PC port of Double Dragon complete in box, and an SDTV (which cost 4$).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:56:42 am »
I spent too much this weekend.  I uped my "most I've paid for a retro game" record, and it's eating at me.  Anyway, I wandered into a place called Replays in Memphis Sunday afternoon.  This place had some pretty cool stuff for good prices.  They had a CIB Legend of Zelda in great shape for $20 and a complete Mint NES Action Set for $70. 
I picked up a Game Boy with Link's Awakining CIB and a loose cart of E.V.O. Search for Eden for the SNES.  I paid less than a third of what E.V.O. has been going for on Ebay, but it's still more than I like to spend.  I may sell that one since I'm having so much buyers remorse.
Does anyone know if this Game Boy variant came with headphones?

scott

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:07:59 am »
Hmm I'm not sure if they came with headphones or not. I know all the launch ones came with ear buds one with a blue accent and one with a red accent. I've been looking for a pair of those for my cib Game Boy for awhile now.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:51:21 pm »
Garage sales were pretty lame this weekend, mostly likely due to the awful heat wave we're enduring.

However, I did manage to snag a red GBA SP for $15.  I've been looking for one for a while to leave on my nightstand for bedtime gaming action and the one I bought on a garage sale last year had a dead battery.