Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1549925 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1410 on: January 28, 2014, 04:13:04 pm »
I could probably just research this, but are the Ars and Atelier games related? I believe they're both NIS releases.

Either way, I keep looking at both series and feeling like I need to jump into them, but man there appear to be a lot now.

I'm guessing that you're asking if the Ar tonelico games & the Atelier series are related; right?

If so, only in that:

1).  GUST had a hand in the development/creation of games in both series,

2).  They share a similar art work style, and

3).  Like you said - if they get localized...it's usually by NIS America.

*An Exception* would be starting with the most recently localized Atelier game to be released in the states & in English (Atelier Ayesha)...Tecmo Koei bought-out one of the Japanese companies & (iirc), localized/published & released the game here.

Also, (another 1st for the series) was that Koei decided to go w/ "English-Only" voice-work.

With N1, it was pretty much a guarantee that you'd be getting your choice of hearing the game in either English or Japanese.

It was actually (*WHY*...I dunno) ranted about, raved about , and (supposedly) boycotted by a shitload of people who don't know or understand Japanese -for- ya' know...not having Japanese voices  ::)

The Interwebz; I guess, huh?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #1411 on: January 28, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »
Well, this is irritating.

I can't find my copy of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I know I still have it somewhere. I just can't find it. ARGH.

Edit: Found it buried under a box of comics. Great, now I can sell my set and buy a new video card with the money. :p
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:03:59 pm by foxhack »

bobster

« Reply #1412 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:39 pm »
I could probably just research this, but are the Ars and Atelier games related? I believe they're both NIS releases.

Either way, I keep looking at both series and feeling like I need to jump into them, but man there appear to be a lot now.

I'm guessing that you're asking if the Ar tonelico games & the Atelier series are related; right?

If so, only in that:

1).  GUST had a hand in the development/creation of games in both series,

2).  They share a similar art work style, and

3).  Like you said - if they get localized...it's usually by NIS America.

*An Exception* would be starting with the most recently localized Atelier game to be released in the states & in English (Atelier Ayesha)...Tecmo Koei bought-out one of the Japanese companies & (iirc), localized/published & released the game here.

Also, (another 1st for the series) was that Koei decided to go w/ "English-Only" voice-work.

With N1, it was pretty much a guarantee that you'd be getting your choice of hearing the game in either English or Japanese.

It was actually (*WHY*...I dunno) ranted about, raved about , and (supposedly) boycotted by a shitload of people who don't know or understand Japanese -for- ya' know...not having Japanese voices  ::)

The Interwebz; I guess, huh?!
Thanks for all the information! I've never really looked into them all, but I know they have a pretty hardcore following (as evidenced by you =P). Maybe I'll pick up some when I get some spare cash.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1413 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:39 am »
Atelier Iris Eternal Mana for the PS2 was pretty awesome.  I really enjoyed the Item Synthesis but am currently stuck with progressing on one of the side quests.  Received the game for free from my brother.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1414 on: January 29, 2014, 07:15:17 am »
The PS2 Mana Khemia games are also considered to be 'Atelier spin-off' games...

bobster

« Reply #1415 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
So confusing!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1416 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:59 am »
So confusing!

It really seems more daunting than it is  ;)

To distill the Ar tonelico series & the Atelier series of games into what it is that differentiates them the most from each other; go with:

Ar tonelico games = more like traditional, turn-based RPG's with a huge emphasis on Lore, fleshing-out characters w/ awesome backstories, and some of the best music...ever (seriously - they made up an entire language for the Ar tonelico world (Hymnos) that many of the songs are actually sung in...IMO, the quality *in spite of being unable to understand the lyrics* (no - I'm not one of those "fans" who's actually *learned* that language; (you'd be surprised at how serious some fans are:)) stands out even more, I think.

Atelier games = Much more light-hearted stories (think a sister finding her lost sister/looking for a mother that disappeared) rather than a "we need to band together for the sake of all that is decent to save the world") kind of themes.  Combat in Atelier games is almost an afterthought & more of a means to an end (that end being to go places & gather ingredients & materials).  The "Heart" (read: what you'll be doing for ~75% of most Atelier games) is *Synthesis*.

It's all about the items that you make!

To the extent that only the main characters (Rorona, Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, etc) can even "use item" as a battle option.

Actual stats are kind of put on the back burner since you make all of your own equipment, recovery items, buffs/debuff items, revive items, bombs/damaging items, etc yourself...the synthesis system is actually pretty complex & in-depth & has a bit of a learning curve -but- just think that, instead of stats raising every time you level up...you'll accomplish the equivalent by learning & becoming able to create better items - which, in turn - basically accomplishes the same thing.

karyann

« Reply #1417 on: January 29, 2014, 01:58:41 pm »
disgaeniac, I think you're gonna become my go-to source for anything NIS related  :)

soera

« Reply #1418 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »
Kenny is the go-to guy for anything like that for sure! :)

bobster

« Reply #1419 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »
I'm a believer that's for sure. I was looking at how much the Ar Tonelico games are, and I may pull the trigger on them since I see there's only 3 games so far.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1420 on: January 29, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
disgaeniac, I think you're gonna become my go-to source for anything NIS related  :)

Bring on the NIS-related questions...they're definitely one of my long time favorites!

Kenny is the go-to guy for anything like that for sure! :)

Absolutely...just like Big-Bad-Brad is our resident Expert/go-to-guy for all things "Dragon Quest;)

And...I guess that Scott would be the right guy for anything Castlevania-related; right?

Ya' know what?

I'm finding this interesting -and- I think that it would be useful & helpful for *EVERYONE* here to state what series/games/consoles, etc that they're the most knowledgeable about...this way - if/when anyone has any questions concerning __________, they'll know who to ask/mention it to *OR* who to shoot a PM to  8)

Speaking of NIS-related...I know that several of you other members here have pre-ordered the "Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc LE's (and/or the standard version of the game) -AND- since it will be releasing here pretty soon; here's some reviews of it!

http://www.nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=14108

soera

« Reply #1421 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »
We did have one of those threads a long while back. Where people actually posted what they collect and what they are super familiar with and knowledgeable on. Forte was the Mega man hero, Madmax was all things Final fantasy, etc. But if I remember right, it wasnt just series but also systems.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1422 on: January 29, 2014, 03:15:36 pm »
I'm a believer that's for sure. I was looking at how much the Ar Tonelico games are, and I may pull the trigger on them since I see there's only 3 games so far.

*ProTip* for Ar tonelico games =

- Play Ar tonelico (1) (on the PS2) first,

- then, when you're ready to play the 2nd game (also on the PS2) MAKE SURE that you read a FAQ/walkthrough 1st (once you've gotten to that point - let me know, and I can link you directly to the part that you need to read); so as not to inadvertently read anything that could Spoil parts of the game for you before playing it...there is a *Poetentially* GAME-BREAKING glitch late in the game that is very easy to avoid/work-a-round...if you're aware of it & if you know what to do about it before it fucks your game up!

- Ar tonelico 3 (on the PS3) is pretty much the least-favorite game in the series (IMO, too) -and- other than it still having a phenomenal soundtrack...just about nothing else in the game (well...except for the story part that wraps up the trilogy's storyline, of course) is a good as it is in the 1st 2 games...if you're gonna' skip one - make it the 3rd game.

- Ar tonelico 3 is also the only game in the series to deviate at all from the standard type of turn-based combat by adding an "Action" element.  It's far from a difficult type of action-based combat (Hell, I beat the game one-handed:) -but- if a player was to *Only* enjoy strictly turn-based combat & hate ARPG's...it would, again, be the one to skip.

Other than that - I envy you the ability of being able to experience the first 2 games for the 1st time  :o

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1423 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:33 pm »
Ya' know what?

I'm finding this interesting -and- I think that it would be useful & helpful for *EVERYONE* here to state what series/games/consoles, etc that they're the most knowledgeable about...this way - if/when anyone has any questions concerning __________, they'll know who to ask/mention it to *OR* who to shoot a PM to  8)

Well, sign me up for dick and fart jokes.  I'm also an expert in placement of "That's what she said"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1424 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
I'm also an expert in placement of "That's what she said"