Author Topic: Save your Change, Folks  (Read 12973 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Save your Change, Folks
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:46 am »
I started to do something kinda awesome a little while ago.  I decided I would save all my change and then buy something I would never spend the money on.  I figure if I do this for 6 months or so I can get Earthbound or at least ClayFighter: Sculpter's Cut. 

If anyone wants to join in, it might be kinda fun to come back to this thread in a few months and post what we bought.  You'd be suprised how much change you go through and never even notice. 

darko

Re: Save your Change, Folks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:44:03 am »
That could be fun. I don't usually pay for things with cash, however.

I used to put all of my change in a mason jar. When it was finally full I took it in. To my amazement it totaled over $200. Pretty crazy.

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:55 am »
Cash? Must be some new type of debit card.

soera

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:59 am »
We just cashed in all our pennies the other day. It was about $17.00. Thats a lot of copper.

scott

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:54 am »
I usually save all my change and do the same thing. This last time I used it to back Reaper Miniature's Kickstarter project. Ended up dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 on it and that was 90% change and bottle returns. Pretty sweet.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:29 am »
I will start today. 11-20. So 5-20 I will see what I have. :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »
@soera You might want to back that up a month.  Prices tend to go up when kids get out of school.

soera

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:18:07 pm »
Actually thats not a bad idea. I have another "goal" ending in April too. I am trying to lose a little weight (while Im not fat or large by any means, I want to get back to the recommended weight for someone my height and that is 140 so I need to go down 35 lbs). If I make this goal, then I can use that change to buy me a reward!

So from 11-20 to 4-20 (420 rocks anyhow!)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »
Actually thats not a bad idea. I have another "goal" ending in April too. I am trying to lose a little weight (while Im not fat or large by any means, I want to get back to the recommended weight for someone my height and that is 140 so I need to go down 35 lbs). If I make this goal, then I can use that change to buy me a reward!

So from 11-20 to 4-20 (420 rocks anyhow!)

Not to mention that you'll be, by default, spending less $ from eating/buying less food to add to your change-jar :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »
That sounds like a win!

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
That is a great idea. My grandma used to give me two big jars of change that she saved all for my birthday. My birthday is Jan 2 so it worked out perfect, but they used to total a couple hundred dollars. But like everyone else I think I'll do this as well

scott

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:23:46 pm »
I usually keep my Quarters in a coffee can and glue the lid on it. Then I keep all of my other change in an old tub for Laffy Taffy. The gluing the lid think worked great, but I had meant to save quarters from February to February. Ended up needing the money for the Kickstarter in July, but it was too good a deal to pass up, so it was worth it.

Plus, I should be set for life on minis. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:47 pm »
I already have a little bank full of change from like the past 3-4 yrs at my current apt but haven't had it counted yet.  I've also looted it for laundry quarters, too, so it's probably not as lucrative as it could be.

But I like the idea!  I have another piggy bank that I can start anew from, so I'll throw a "don't open before" date on it and see what I get.  Like Darko, I don't really use cash that often, so I don't imagine I'll have much change.  Hopefully by the end of the few months, I'll have enough to buy an indie bundle or something ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »
I started carrying more cash just for this. And it makes balancing my checkbook easier. Win/win

By the way, have we set a date yet?  April 20th sound ok?  5 months from today?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:47:04 pm by turf »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
That sounds like a win!

Indeed!

A Thin Win  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"