Author Topic: What do you HATE about collecting?  (Read 9550 times)

scott

Re: What do you HATE about collecting?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
I bought a Genesis for a dollar at a flea market one time. It didn't work...and it rattled. Opened it up, found three quarters inside. Removed those, works like a charm...and I got the system for a quarter!

My niece used to think one of the empty slots on my PC was a coin slot. She was always putting coins in it. Luckily my case at the time was easy to open and I'd just take them out after she left.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »
I hate original Gameboys.  Specifically trying to fix the screens.  I've thrown away both of the ones I've come across after trying to fix them and only making them worse.  One had a good screen, but was filthy.  I took the batteries out and cleaned it up.  When I turned it back on, it had 4 dead lines in the screen.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »
On mine I just took the board out of mine, and swapped it with the new one. That way I didn't even touch the screen itself. I've not had a problem since.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:03 am »
What do you HATE about collecting?:  Sellers who think everything is "RARE!!!!".  I have downsized my collection considerably lately and am focused on Saturn.  I'm pretty much done checking local shops who think every Saturn title is work at least $20 and that just the Shining Force III disc is worth $80...

madmax

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:39 am »
That reminds me.

I was at a gamebuzz in montreal and they had an FFV Super famicom cart for $80. I got mine complete, straight from japan for $16...

urbanchaos

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »
Gamebuzz are purely and simply thieves. Damn, I was looking for a Pokemon Blue cartridge lately, and they had a beaten up one, with the label partially ripped off for 24,99$. God dammit'

htimreimer

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 05:39:12 pm »
i went to a thrift store what i found is a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog in almost mint condition for 4.95 or 4.94 in us dollar the only problem with it is sum sticker residue on the cartridge label and vary minor scuff on the manual

ffxik

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:50 am »
Things that I hate about collecting.

Lets see alot were already listed stickers, resellers, and GameStop.  GameStopo's and just about every rental places stickers are just irritating to the point of just screaming at the counter "You Just need one, you putz".  

Another thing that absolutely hate is "New".  I'm sorry sir, that has had the factory shrinkwrap removed. The game disc taken out, and quite frankly the case is broken in several places.  It's used, deal with it.  To be sort of fair on this point though.  The GameStop that is near me usually swaps the display box for the honestly "New" game, but not always.

Ebay.  I have come to loathe that site for everything it's worth.  Most people on that site are just hair pullingly obvious in their attempts to sucker you outta your cash.   Collector's quality doesn't mean just disc/cart.  Furthermore I wish alot of these pinheads would realize that when dealing withe Sega CD/Saturn and early PSX games. You need to be careful with the longbox. I always send a note to the seller stating what I want done in these cases.  Most never listen, and in one case it cost me the rare seventh variant of Lunar: The Silver Star for SCD.  It came loose in the case and when I got it, it had a chip about the size of a fingernail busted out of it.

matt

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 02:46:02 pm »
Another thing that absolutely hate is "New". I'm sorry sir, that has had the factory shrinkwrap removed. The game disc taken out, and quite frankly the case is broken in several places. It's used, deal with it. To be sort of fair on this point though. The GameStop that is near me usually swaps the display box for the honestly "New" game, but not always.

God I hate this too. If it's new...it's sealed. End of story.

scott

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 02:58:04 pm »
Exactly. I HATE when they do that. Especially nnow when some games require a code for full access. I'm looking at you ubi passport....

desocietas

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »
Ebay.  I have come to loathe that site for everything it's worth.  Most people on that site are just hair pullingly obvious in their attempts to sucker you outta your cash.   Collector's quality doesn't mean just disc/cart.  Furthermore I wish alot of these pinheads would realize that when dealing withe Sega CD/Saturn and early PSX games. You need to be careful with the longbox. I always send a note to the seller stating what I want done in these cases.  Most never listen, and in one case it cost me the rare seventh variant of Lunar: The Silver Star for SCD.  It came loose in the case and when I got it, it had a chip about the size of a fingernail busted out of it.

Ugh, I know!  I just bought Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for PS1, and the barely-there packaging caused a crack in the front of the jewel case during delivery (no crack in the photos in the eBay listing).  Is it so hard for people to package things correctly?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »
While I also hate this. Its not as bad when it is a standard jewel case.... Saturn and Sega CD cases on the other hand, RAGE. ha

desocietas

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2011, 03:20:43 pm »
While I also hate this. Its not as bad when it is a standard jewel case.... Saturn and Sega CD cases on the other hand, RAGE. ha

yeah, i'm just lazy about finding replacements.  it's just annoying if it was in fine condition when it *left* their hands and they stopped caring about it once they got paid.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2011, 04:51:23 pm »
Oh I totally agree. Some folks don't understand customer service. At all.

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
Stickers, Gamestop, and ebay sellers with not only a lack of comprehension on how to grade the condition of their games, but just all around poor form.

Last week I bought three PS1 games on ebay; Lunar: Silver Star Story, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, and Persona 2. Here are the issues I ran into:

Lunar: SSSC- Listed as complete, and in "very good" condition. Paid $65, plus $8 for expedited shipping. Seller took three days to send it, and on Wednesday the seller sent me a message saying that he had to resend the package, as my zipcode had "smudged" in the post, and it was returned. Ever hear of packing tape? They did nothing to reimburse me for the shipping charges, and it took 9 days to get something that should have taken 6, considering the holiday.

The manual and map were the only things in "very good" condition. The box was a little beat up, but that was included in the description. The plastic case shows a ton of wear, and the discs are all lightly scratched, in spite of description saying they weren't.

Lunar 2: EBC- Listed as complete, and "like new". Paid $75, plus $5.50 for shipping. The seller used signature confirmation, and I worked 6am-4pm all week, so I missed the mail, and had to pick up the package at the post office a day later. If the seller had mentioned anything about signature confirmation, I would have looked elsewhere. Everything was in MAYBE "very good" condition, and the discs are the variant, which was a surprise. Unfortunately, they aren't "like new".

For both Lunar's, I already had incomplete copies with perfect discs, that I picked up at a local game store for $60 and $70, respectively. I pieced together a decent copy of each game, and decided to use the poorer disc's for actual playing, until I get the urge to sell them.

I would have saved money if I had just bought sealed copies.

As for Persona 2, again, listed in "like new" condition, for $80. The game shipped fast, even though I paid for priority mail, and the seller shipped it first class. The case is scuffed up, the game disc is scuffed and has a few small scratches, and the bonus disc is fairly scratched. I'd say "very good" condition would be pushing it.

I complained to the seller, and got $15 refunded, so it wasn't a total wash.