Author Topic: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?  (Read 19604 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

Re: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:54 am »
I'm quite unhappy with the new PS4 information about lack of support for CDs, MP3s and media streaming.  I think I might be done with new consoles.  The more controlling these consoles become the less I'm interested.  I'm really hoping SteamOS turns out to be amazing at this point.

I'm the opposite.

The *LESS* shit that a console does (other than gaming, of course) the happier I am  ;D

This generally does make things simpler but I feel I've subtly become reliant on my PS3s features....

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
I'm quite unhappy with the new PS4 information about lack of support for CDs, MP3s and media streaming.  I think I might be done with new consoles.  The more controlling these consoles become the less I'm interested.  I'm really hoping SteamOS turns out to be amazing at this point.

I'm the opposite.

The *LESS* shit that a console does (other than gaming, of course) the happier I am  ;D

This generally does make things simpler but I feel I've subtly become reliant on my PS3s features....

I can appreciate & understand that - *I* just long for a simpler time when consoles played games -and- when you'd buy one...you'd just be paying for the cost of some plastic to play said games on; instead of the "Multimedia Experience"  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:56 am »
Since I've not put an audio CD in a console since the PS1, I'm not really hurt by the fact that the PS4 won't play CDs. But while I don't usually stream anything from my PC to my PS3 or 360 I can see where that would be really annoying for some people. Though, the faq didn't say anything (as far as I noticed) about not being able to play video files, so I'm guessing you could still play those...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
Since I've not put an audio CD in a console since the PS1, I'm not really hurt by the fact that the PS4 won't play CDs. But while I don't usually stream anything from my PC to my PS3 or 360 I can see where that would be really annoying for some people. Though, the faq didn't say anything (as far as I noticed) about not being able to play video files, so I'm guessing you could still play those...

If I could simply plug an external HDD in via USB and play things directly then that might not be so bad either....  I archive literally everything I own on 2 4tb drives that are not games....  From CD/DVD backups to photos and Comic book scans....  I like to preserve my originals....

soera

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »
I think Im with Scott and Kenny on this one. I couldnt care less if my game system plays any sort of MP3 or music CD. If my system is on, Im gaming on it. :D

scott

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »
As far as I can tell, it's only saying you can't use an external HDD for saving PS4 data to it. It doesn't say anything, from what I see, about not being able to hook up an external HDD and reading data off of it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:07 pm »
As far as I can tell, it's only saying you can't use an external HDD for saving PS4 data to it. It doesn't say anything, from what I see, about not being able to hook up an external HDD and reading data off of it.

Well, the PS3 had some FAT32 vs NTSC issues regarding external storage though....  I'll likely just try everything myself once it releases because I never trust anything I haven't tested myself 100% anyways....

azure

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »
Not at launch but I foresee myself getting a PS4 for sure sometime, and a Wii U.

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 03:40:15 pm »
Not at launch but I foresee myself getting a PS4 for sure sometime, and a Wii U.

Im fur shur a WiiU
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

insektmute

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2013, 02:12:36 am »
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit bummed at the lack of DLNA support on PS4. I currently use my PS3 for streaming music and video from my desktop PC, which works beautifully, and was hoping I could move it to my bedroom so I could listen to music more easily in there, and watch my Blu-ray stuff. I'll probably still move the PS3 in there, but kinda stinks that I'll have to lose the streaming in the living room.

Given Sony's response though, I strongly suspect it's something that will be added sooner rather than later. The hardware can certainly support it, so all that's required is a software update.

sin2beta

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:05 am »
I was looking at IGN's XBox One vs PS4 games article. Man, this generation is not going to be that different from the last. THe PS3 and 360 were basically the same. I think it's the XBox One and PS4 will end up being the same system as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/playstation-4-vs-xbox-one-the-games
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:19:08 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jobocan

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:44 am »
Yeah, that's exactly why I can safely say I don't really care about possibly not getting an Xbox One (or at least not for quite a while).

During the 7th gen, getting both a PS3 and Xbox 360 was pretty worthless, considering almost all the good 360 games were also on the PS3, and it barely had any exclusives worth playing. I got both anyways (actually I bought all 7th gen systems twice...), but I could've easily gone without the 360 (would've missed a couple XBLA games and some shmups...).

So I figure that, once again, both consoles will get roughly the same library, and since the PS4 is seemingly more developer-friendly for now, it sounds like the better buy.

sin2beta

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
Yeah, I think pick the one with the few exclusives you like. Then get probably 10 games max on the other console once it becomes retro. I will probably pick up a PS3 for Yakuza. But even the Naughty Dog games don't keep me entertained much. But I do like Forza. And it seems to come down to those little things... which do you prefer Halo or Killzone.

At least with the Wii U I feel like I would be missing something. Even if it is not my first choice.

This weeks GiantBombCast summed up this battle between Microsoft and Sony very well "there will be a lot of rubble but no casualties". I would tend to believe this.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

brunauss

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »
Regardless of any prior personal comments made on this thread, I recently decided to not invest in the new consoles. Instead, I'm thinking and moving forward with the new standards. Investing in Onlive and Ouya seems more practical.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »
Regardless of any prior personal comments made on this thread, I recently decided to not invest in the new consoles. Instead, I'm thinking and moving forward with the new standards. Investing in Onlive and Ouya seems more practical.

Ouch....  That's....  yeah....