Author Topic: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation  (Read 8166 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 03:50:13 pm »
I really liked the DS, too. But best of all-time? Nah, I'd give that to the GBA-SP.

"Best" in what way(s)?

Best library of games with the mixture of great original titles and re-release/remakes of 8-bit and 16-bit classics, IMO; plus the even more expanded library of original & Color Game Boy titles w/the backwards compatibility. And the backlit screen was great-looking. Still the best-looking way to play Game Boy games on-the-go (GB Player for GC has it beat for at home, though). Plus the clamshell design protected that great screen from scratches. The battery-life is like forever, and they're rechargeable, so that's a big plus too. It's quite portable, being pocket-sized and all, too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:52:24 pm by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »
*Is Drooling in anticipation of the Vita TV launching here in the West*  ???
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
We're almost always on the same page, buddy -but- I've gotta' say that, IMO, the Vita is hands down & by far the best hand-held ever...it just doesn't have the greatest library (although, if you count all of the Vita, PS1, PS2, PS3, AND PS4 games that you can play on it...it's far from a *small* library, too:)  ;D
Don't forget the PSP, also.  May not be UMD backwards-compatible, but digitally available.

* While I know this one especially will be somewhat controversial(?), for me trophies & achievements pushed me in many games to do things I never would have done otherwise.  When done correctly, they provide a great way for a developer to help a player explore their games to the fullest.

Why "controversial"?

I completely agree & feel the exact same way about the introduction of Trophies & Achievments.

I know that some gamers seem to *Literally* REALLY Hate on them...I don't understand why.

I mean - for those who enjoy & appreciate them = they're there...For those who don't like them, can't stand them, and want nothing to do with them; well...they can very easily just ignore them and turn off the "trophy notification" 'Chime' (that many give as their "Immersion-Breaking" reason/justification for hating on them.

As someone who appreciates logic & common sense - I've yet to understand how MORE options (as long as they're not forced on you, and you can just ignore them and/or turn them off) -and- As Long As They're Not At The Cost/Expense Of Anything Else...can EVER be seen or considered a "BAD" thing...by anybody  :-\

I suppose that the parts of the gen that left the worst tastes in my mouth are:

- the whole 'push' to digitalize everything & try to move away from physical media (I have no problem with releasing both a physical AND a digital version of something, because...again...IMO, more consumer options ALWAYS = a "GOOD" thing.

- Selling physical games w/o MANUALS  :o

(cheap & lazy fuckers)  >:(
This too.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

soera

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »
I agree with a lot of what you said. Im not sure, however, that there is going to be anything anytime soon to push the Vita past the DS/3DS for me. The library is pretty small for a system that, as of yesterday, has been out for a full 2 years. What is there is just re-releases of games that are already on the PS3.

This is not saying that I will not ever get one. Im sure down the line I will get one and probably enjoy it. But, at the time of this posting, I think the 3DS is superior. :)

90snostalga

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 09:23:28 pm »
The DS/3DS is the best portable system of all time (I consider the DS and the 3DS the same thing).

The bad side of 7th gen. Xbox 360. Seriously, Microshaft needs to get out of the gaming world forever. That is all.

Second...

htimreimer

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 09:37:13 pm »
this may be controversial but this is for one of the worst generations in long time, i'm not saying there's nothing good about 7th but the bad outweighs the good, here is some of the bad

style over substance gameplay
story over gameplay
bad DLC policies
too high of a focus on multiplayer
bad customer service
over bloated egos
bad company policies

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »
this may be controversial but this is for one of the worst generations in long time, i'm not saying there's nothing good about 7th but the bad outweighs the good, here is some of the bad

style over substance gameplay
story over gameplay
bad DLC policies
too high of a focus on multiplayer
bad customer service
over bloated egos
bad company policies

Good:

-HD Graphics
-2-D Games have made a comeback.
-Prevalence of Indie and Small-Studio Games thanks to Online Game Networks
-Ease of access of some previously hard-to-find retro-games thanks to services like Steam, GoG, Virtual Console, and PSN.
-Good DLC (Shivering Isles on Oblivion for example)
-Downloadable Games (I prefer a physical copy, but it's nice to have the option if you can't find it or it's a digital-only release)
-Ease of Console Online Multiplayer
-Touch-Screen Controls on Handhelds (when used right, it's great)
-Netflix on Consoles

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:46 am »
For me this was a sad sad generation to be a gamer.  To me it ushered in the beginning of the end of video games as I know and love them.  Soon, very soon we will live in an all digital world and it's just not a world I care to game in.   Sure its fine for Indie games, but even those I find difficult to purchase at rock bottom prices because I can't actually OWN them. 

Game developers are becoming so stagnant and afraid to take any chances because of the bottom line.  $$$$.  You know, I haven't listened to new music (with a few exceptions) and movies literally do nothing for me since the 90s.  So stale and tired.  They just bore me to tears.  Every time I watch a movie I can't help but think I've seen all of this before.  Its just the same stuff rehashed over and over and over again. 

Now I see games headed down the same path and It saddens me greatly.  At the same time, I totally get why the younger generation thinks this generation was great.  My son is 11 and he loves him some xbox 360 and PS3.  If I hadn't lived through the prime of the NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, TG-16, Sega Saturn generation I prolly Would've loved this gen too.

Lastly, Although I was certainly no huge fan of the wii, if nintendo dies soon gaming will truly be dire.  I hear all of this hate on Nintendo lately, some of it warranted some of it not.   Just know this, nintendo's death would be a true tragedy for the gaming industry, one that I think eventually may bring the whole console industry down.  I still love nintendo.  It seems like they're the only company that knows how to make a video game any more.  NOT a interactive movie, or a game that takes itself way too seriously, or a gritty war shooter, but a video game.  The type of game that makes me feel like a kid again............A link between worlds was a masterpiece IMO........Sigh.

Any how thats my 2 cents, sorry it was so depressing.........
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:27:26 am by grimhope »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:53 am »
I agree with a lot of what you said. Im not sure, however, that there is going to be anything anytime soon to push the Vita past the DS/3DS for me. The library is pretty small for a system that, as of yesterday, has been out for a full 2 years. What is there is just re-releases of games that are already on the PS3.

This is not saying that I will not ever get one. Im sure down the line I will get one and probably enjoy it. But, at the time of this posting, I think the 3DS is superior. :)

Right.

You're saying the DS is the best because of its software - I'm saying that, games aside, strictly judging the best hand-held  subjectively (power, specs, and capabilities) that the Vita's the top dog ;)

Let's just leave it at we're both right  ;D

90snostalga

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »

Right.

You're saying the DS is the best because of its software - I'm saying that, games aside, strictly judging the best hand-held  subjectively (power, specs, and capabilities) that the Vita's the top dog ;)

I'm sorry Disgaeniac, what's the Vita???????    ;) lol

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:56 pm »

Right.

I'm sorry Disgaeniac, what's the Vita???????    ;) lol

Por que no sabes sobre mi Vita Loca  ;)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

I've been livin' la vita loca for years. I'm gonna say it's overrated.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

I've been livin' la vita loca for years. I'm gonna say it's overrated.

Yeah, sometimes it's overrated and sometimes it's just plain, old fun  8)

argyle

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »
For me this was a sad sad generation to be a gamer.  To me it ushered in the beginning of the end of video games as I know and love them.  Soon, very soon we will live in an all digital world and it's just not a world I care to game in.   Sure its fine for Indie games, but even those I find difficult to purchase at rock bottom prices because I can't actually OWN them. 

Game developers are becoming so stagnant and afraid to take any chances because of the bottom line.  $$$$.  You know, I haven't listened to new music (with a few exceptions) and movies literally do nothing for me since the 90s.  So stale and tired.  They just bore me to tears.  Every time I watch a movie I can't help but think I've seen all of this before.  Its just the same stuff rehashed over and over and over again. 

Now I see games headed down the same path and It saddens me greatly.  At the same time, I totally get why the younger generation thinks this generation was great.  My son is 11 and he loves him some xbox 360 and PS3.  If I hadn't lived through the prime of the NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, TG-16, Sega Saturn generation I prolly Would've loved this gen too.

Lastly, Although I was certainly no huge fan of the wii, if nintendo dies soon gaming will truly be dire.  I hear all of this hate on Nintendo lately, some of it warranted some of it not.   Just know this, nintendo's death would be a true tragedy for the gaming industry, one that I think eventually may bring the whole console industry down.  I still love nintendo.  It seems like they're the only company that knows how to make a video game any more.  NOT a interactive movie, or a game that takes itself way too seriously, or a gritty war shooter, but a video game.  The type of game that makes me feel like a kid again............A link between worlds was a masterpiece IMO........Sigh.

This is super depressing.  Just seems like a really sad outlook to have. 

For the record, I'm going on 39 so this isn't an age thing, my first "console" was a Pong machine.

Saying everything is a gritty shooter or overly serious is turning a blind eye towards a TON of great games that have come out this gen.  Then again...if you haven't enjoyed a single movie since the 90's, I doubt there's anything I can say that will change your mind on the state of gaming. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »

This is super depressing.  Just seems like a really sad outlook to have. 

For the record, I'm going on 39 so this isn't an age thing, my first "console" was a Pong machine.

Saying everything is a gritty shooter or overly serious is turning a blind eye towards a TON of great games that have come out this gen.  Then again...if you haven't enjoyed a single movie since the 90's, I doubt there's anything I can say that will change your mind on the state of gaming.

You pretty much said what I was thinking.