Author Topic: Which console do you think had the best game cases?  (Read 5153 times)

kashell

Re: Which console do you think had the best game cases?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »
I love this website.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 04:15:54 pm »
I love my avatar.

sworddude

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 04:47:40 pm »
While I don't love the Genesis as a system, I always loved the hard plastic Genesis cases, even if that wasn't for all games.  I also love PS1 long boxes, but again, not uniform for the system since they moved to cd jewel cases.  I wish I liked the PS Vita, cause I love those little plastic cases lol I'd probably say Gamecube and PS2 were the best cases overall.

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:20 pm »
I absolutely hate the Genesis cases, because some were cardboard, some were clamshell, some clamshell were smaller, some were larger, and nobody followed any form of uniformity with spine design.

That's not true. Genesis started with the black grid spines, then later changed to allow artwork on the spines and just a logo at the center, and then went to red spines. Each of those phases were uniform. The only clamshells that were larger were for EA carts that were a different size cart than standard.
Nothing is incorrect in my statement.  I own cardboard Genesis games.  I own clamshell Genesis games.  I own EA games that have larger clamshells.  I own Accolade, Codemasters, and official Sega cases.  The fact that there are black grid and red striped shows that there is no solid uniformity.  BUT on top of that, EA, Accolade, Codemasters, and several other companies used neither the Black grid nor the Red stripes for their games.

Right, but you said "nobody followed any form of uniformity with spine design.", which isn't correct. ;) The grid was uniform, the red was uniform, even the spine art (which applied to all releases for a brief time) was technically uniform.

Even PS3 is guilty of changing uniformity three times as far as the spine.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:08:26 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 06:20:38 pm »
I like Super Famicom boxes the most, the artwork for the most is incredible. Then Megadrive / Master System / SNES / N64. Anything that predates DVD style I generally find more appealing.

stealthrush

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 06:44:13 pm »
I like Super Famicom boxes the most, the artwork for the most is incredible. Then Megadrive / Master System / SNES / N64. Anything that predates DVD style I generally find more appealing.

I agree, I would add JPN Sega Saturn, PC Engine, PC Engine CD jewel cases spine card and all.

haloofthesun

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »
Wii U cases are nice to look at. Game Boy Advance boxes are really appealing to me too, although I can't really determine why that is.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »
Sega Master System and Sega Genesis early days are my faves.

I do like the PS1 and 3DO long boxes but no idea why the hell they needed to be so huge in the first place.

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:35 pm »
Sega Master System and Sega Genesis early days are my faves.

I do like the PS1 and 3DO long boxes but no idea why the hell they needed to be so huge in the first place.

I wish they stuck with the long boxes for the PS1.  Sure, there's no good reason for them to be so huge, but they look great lol  Would be a cool sub-collection to complete since there's only 122 of the PS1 long boxes.

pacpix

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 02:02:10 am »
I love the look of the Odyssey 2 boxes.  They are a bit flimsy, but the art on them is great and I like the folding box design.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 05:39:14 am »
Definitely Neo Geo AES snap lock cases, introduced around 1996. They're huge and sturdy, with great colorful artwork.

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 08:35:51 am »
I absolutely hate the Genesis cases, because some were cardboard, some were clamshell, some clamshell were smaller, some were larger, and nobody followed any form of uniformity with spine design.

That's not true. Genesis started with the black grid spines, then later changed to allow artwork on the spines and just a logo at the center, and then went to red spines. Each of those phases were uniform. The only clamshells that were larger were for EA carts that were a different size cart than standard.
Nothing is incorrect in my statement.  I own cardboard Genesis games.  I own clamshell Genesis games.  I own EA games that have larger clamshells.  I own Accolade, Codemasters, and official Sega cases.  The fact that there are black grid and red striped shows that there is no solid uniformity.  BUT on top of that, EA, Accolade, Codemasters, and several other companies used neither the Black grid nor the Red stripes for their games.

Right, but you said "nobody followed any form of uniformity with spine design.", which isn't correct. ;) The grid was uniform, the red was uniform, even the spine art (which applied to all releases for a brief time) was technically uniform.

Even PS3 is guilty of changing uniformity three times as far as the spine.
I'll rephrase.  Everybody did not follow a set uniform standard.

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 08:37:23 am »
As someone who built their own shelves, specifically DVD sized shelves... I hate the longbox games.  Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful when they aren't broken, but there is so much wrong with them and they are such a weird size.

telly

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 09:21:28 am »
As someone who built their own shelves, specifically DVD sized shelves... I hate the longbox games.  Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful when they aren't broken, but there is so much wrong with them and they are such a weird size.

Every time I pick up a longbox PS1 or a Saturn/Sega CD game, the cases are always chipped and cracked or the front cover is falling off the hinges. It really wasn't a good design.
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery