Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1654185 times)

karyann

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5010 on: December 09, 2014, 11:27:57 am »
Warframe, a free-to-play *launch* title, has taken up probably around 350 hours of my time so far and I'm still playing it nearly every day. I have a respectable library of 21 games for it now, all of which I enjoy.

I had people telling me before the system came out that there was no need to buy it anywhere close to launch. But this always came off as a bit patronising, even tho I know people don't MEAN it that way. Basically, you know what's best for you - if the launch/early titles do nothing for you then of course you shouldn't get one near launch. But just because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean they don't appeal to me. ;)

Oh definitely, I indeed didn't mean it that way :P Everything about games that are "worth playing" or "not worth playing" is purely opinions anyway. I don't deter people from buying systems at launch (heck, I bought my Wii U at launch), but I know that for me it's rarely worth it. Apart from the huge hype, which is still part of the "worth" of owning a system, let's face it! The thrill of buying a new system which you've been excited for for a while, opening it up, booting it for the first time at the same time as millions of other people... Getting all excited along with all of them, talking about your experience with other new users, that definitely has some value in itself too.  ;D

And nowadays, when the updates come, you still have the excitement of experiencing the improvements to the system. Like with the Wii U, which was super slow at the beginning. When the update making it faster finally came in, I was thrilled! And when they added folders, and the quick menu, that was exciting too.

...I'm making myself want a PS4 so bad right now  :( I think I may have made myself change my own mind about "buying at launch" haha

argyle

« Reply #5011 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:35 am »
Very true, Greg

This is all from my perspective of wanting & playing strictly RPG's

to each their own on what = enough wanted games to justify buying at launch

Warframe, a free-to-play *launch* title, has taken up probably around 350 hours of my time so far and I'm still playing it nearly every day. I have a respectable library of 21 games for it now, all of which I enjoy.

I had people telling me before the system came out that there was no need to buy it anywhere close to launch. But this always came off as a bit patronising, even tho I know people don't MEAN it that way. Basically, you know what's best for you - if the launch/early titles do nothing for you then of course you shouldn't get one near launch. But just because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean they don't appeal to me. ;)

Oh definitely, I indeed didn't mean it that way :P Everything about games that are "worth playing" or "not worth playing" is purely opinions anyway. I don't deter people from buying systems at launch (heck, I bought my Wii U at launch), but I know that for me it's rarely worth it. Apart from the huge hype, which is still part of the "worth" of owning a system, let's face it! The thrill of buying a new system which you've been excited for for a while, opening it up, booting it for the first time at the same time as millions of other people... Getting all excited along with all of them, talking about your experience with other new users, that definitely has some value in itself too.  ;D

And nowadays, when the updates come, you still have the excitement of experiencing the improvements to the system. Like with the Wii U, which was super slow at the beginning. When the update making it faster finally came in, I was thrilled! And when they added folders, and the quick menu, that was exciting too.

...I'm making myself want a PS4 so bad right now  :( I think I may have made myself change my own mind about "buying at launch" haha

It's all good, I know neither of you meant anything by it - I was just giving my opinion based on my experience. And that "being part of day 1" experience is definitely part of it, no doubt. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5012 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:44 am »
Success!

I just popped the Tears to Tiara 2 trophies for:

- "Beat the game on medium difficulty",

- "Beat the game on hard difficulty", and (unexpectedly:)

- "Acquire an" (average of) "S-Rank on the Game results screen"!

I say "unexpectedly" because, I gave up on going after S-Ranks 3 or 4 days ago and - I was very pleasantly surprised - that, somehow the game averaged out my:

(28) S-Ranks,

(9) A-Ranks, and

(eight) C-Ranks as an "S";D

All that's left is to get all of the bonuses ==> beat the bonus dungeon + ==> Platinum!

Quick question for the rest of you who use PSNProfiles...after getting these new trophies - after having not been there for several days - I got the "can only update every 60 minutes" thing...is this because I updated them on my PSN profile 1st...and that's what they're counting?:o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #5013 on: December 09, 2014, 12:49:34 pm »
Quick question for the rest of you who use PSNProfiles...after getting these new trophies - after having not been there for several days - I got the "can only update every 60 minutes" thing...is this because I updated them on my PSN profile 1st...and that's what they're counting?:o

I believe it updates automatically every 24 hours, so it was probably just bad timing. It's happens to me every now and again too. I go to manually update my profile because I just earned some trophies, and it just updated my account for the day and I need to wait a bit again.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5014 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:46 pm »

I believe it updates automatically every 24 hours, so it was probably just bad timing. It's happens to me every now and again too. I go to manually update my profile because I just earned some trophies, and it just updated my account for the day and I need to wait a bit again.

Hadn't even thought of that; makes sense, though!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5015 on: December 09, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »
I'm done.  My brains are fried.  I've been working harder today than I have in a long time.  I have 3 different bosses wanting 3 different tasks/projects done right now.  I finished 1, but the other 2 will have to wait.  I'm done.   

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5016 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »
I'm done.  My brains are fried.  I've been working harder today than I have in a long time.  I have 3 different bosses wanting 3 different tasks/projects done right now.  I finished 1, but the other 2 will have to wait.  I'm done.   

Ouch. There's only so many hours in the day, though.

I'm glad I work in a small company. I only have 1 boss to report to, and it's small enough that everyone knows everyone so there's a kind of job-security in that as long as you do what's expected.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5017 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:54 pm »

Ouch. There's only so many hours in the day, though.

I'm glad I work in a small company. I only have 1 boss to report to, and it's small enough that everyone knows everyone so there's a kind of job-security in that as long as you do what's expected.

It's not that bad. I have a govm'nt job, so I'm not used to hard work and I have that job security. :P
It's just my boss, my boss's boss, and some other cat that's not directly involved with my office all wanted something. On top of that I have my normal stuff that has a deadline of next week. And I'm trying to learn new software! 
I'm just stressed. I need to leave, play a video game, and do some Jiu jitsu. I'll be fine in the morning.

desocietas

« Reply #5018 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:21 pm »
I thought this was funny, so I just had to share:

It's like, really, dude?  You ... you took a picture... of a mirror... of a game... that you're trying to sell...

I'm trying to figure out the thought process here.

"Hm, I need to take a photo of this game, but I don't know how.  I have a crappy camera on my phone, I think.  But how do I get an image of the game with that?  I know, it'll be like when I take a picture of myself and hold the camera up to my bathroom mirror.  I'll just hold the game up instead."

Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5019 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »
You mean you've never played Dilos Raeg Latem? best 4th person arcade shooter/basketball sim I've ever played

desocietas

« Reply #5020 on: December 09, 2014, 08:13:07 pm »
You mean you've never played Dilos Raeg Latem? best 4th person arcade shooter/basketball sim I've ever played

LOL, that took me longer than I care to admit, but hilarious all the same  ;D
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5021 on: December 09, 2014, 08:15:58 pm »
I'm surprised he wasn't trying to sell it as a "rare reverse label print edition" with "only 7 copies known to exist" or something

abe

« Reply #5022 on: December 09, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »
My first thought was that he used the front-facing camera on his phone, but that doesn't work. The image shows up mirrored on the screen before you take it (so you can use it like a mirror), but it should appear normal after you take the picture (on newer phones anyways,  maybe not on older ones). Which raises another question, why would you use the front-facing camera on your phone for taking pictures of things that aren't your face?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

foxhack

« Reply #5023 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:46 pm »
It looks like a webcam image to me, and those usually have a "mirrored" setting in them for some reason.

Guess he just didn't notice. Or care.

desocietas

« Reply #5024 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:37 pm »
It looks like a webcam image to me, and those usually have a "mirrored" setting in them for some reason.

Guess he just didn't notice. Or care.

Oh, good point - might be webcam, which might explain why he's sitting so low.  Haha, still surprises me what people will think will be "enough" for an eBay listing...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas