Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275973 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1680 on: October 07, 2019, 02:16:35 am »

It's the spooky season, but I haven't been in a huge horror mood lately, so rather than dive into something proper dark and horror related, went for something more lighthearted with the first Addam's Family movie.  I remember liking these movies back in the day and the first movie is still a lot of fun.  Every joke is just "Well that sounds horrible...that's wonderful!", but the absurdity is what makes it entertaining I think.  It's not meant to be taken seriously and it's all just silly.  I'll probably watch the sequel too.

« Reply #1682 on: October 07, 2019, 10:30:32 am »

It's the spooky season, but I haven't been in a huge horror mood lately, so rather than dive into something proper dark and horror related, went for something more lighthearted with the first Addam's Family movie.  I remember liking these movies back in the day and the first movie is still a lot of fun.  Every joke is just "Well that sounds horrible...that's wonderful!", but the absurdity is what makes it entertaining I think.  It's not meant to be taken seriously and it's all just silly.  I'll probably watch the sequel too.

They’re both surprisingly good, and I’d dare say the sequel is the better of the two.  It balances the characters better and the plot is much more fun.  It also has one of my absolute favorite moments of physical acting.

doafan

« Reply #1683 on: October 08, 2019, 10:05:03 am »
The bastard who was blocking my access to the Internet at the office is no longer here, has been a couple of weeks since that bastard has gone, he was protecting the access to the web as if it belonged to him anyway I did took my team to watch and enjoy some series: Domestic na Kanojo, Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season, One Punch Man 2nd Season, Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!?, Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?, Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka and Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai already am enjoying some of this new season but I'll leave my impressions at the other topic  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #1684 on: October 11, 2019, 05:04:08 am »
Watched El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie and it was a fine movie.  I wish I had rewatched Breaking Bad for this as I was kinda forgetting some of what happened as it's been 6 years since the show ended.  I can see why this wasn't given a lot of fanfare and build, because it's really not a big film.  It's not here to reveal all sorts of new information or tell a new story, it's just a nice little bow to tie up the last details dealing with Jesse, an extended episode as an epilogue.  Nothing more, nothing less, but it was kinda nice seeing the cast return for this as I haven't watched more than like a season or two of Better Call Saul.  This is purely for the fans to get an extra bit of closure.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:06:47 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1685 on: October 12, 2019, 01:59:10 am »

Yeah these two movies are just a fun, weird, time.  I'm not sure if I liked either one over the other, they kinda follow similar ideas really, weird how they made them mostly about Fester, but still entertaining.  It's kind of a shame to hear that the new cartoon movie they did wasn't very good, making it more for young kids and pulled back on a lot of the dark comedy.  It would be interesting to see them try and do a proper new live action movie like the 90's films were, though I know there is technically a third film, just with all new actors in the roles.  Looks real cheap and poor, but it's got Tim Curry in it, so I kinda just want to see it for that lol

« Reply #1686 on: October 12, 2019, 08:53:16 am »
It's October, so I'm back to watching a Horror (or Halloween adjacent) movie ever day.  Here's where I currently stand:

Oct. 1: The Ritual
Oct. 2: Terrifier
Oct. 3: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday*
Oct. 4: Mama
Oct. 5: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Oct. 6: Event Horizon*
Oct. 7: Prophecy
Oct. 8: Castle Freak
Oct. 9: The Void
Oct. 10: Ginger Snaps
Oct. 11: Black Christmas (1974)*

* seen the film before

The best new one for me so far is Mama and the worst is Terrifier

« Reply #1687 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:40 am »

This was one of those movies as a kid that I used to watch, finish, rewind, and then watch again. I loved Nightmare Before Christmas, however despite that, it's been probably close to 2-decades since I last watched this masterpiece. Even as an adult I still found myself charmed by this film and in aww of its attention to detail, as well as how original and creative the whole movie is. I'm typically not one for musicals, but I enjoy most of the songs, and even the ones I don't care for as much still compliment each scene they take place in. I know there is a debate as to whether this is a Christmas or Halloween movie, and rewatching it I struggled to decide this for myself. In the end its horror themes even during the Christmas parts make it more of a Halloween movie more than anything for me. Nightmare Before Christmas oozes with quality and it makes me sad that it took me this long to rewatch it. I can definitely see why my 7-year old self was briefly obsessed with this movie, and even now my 32-year old self finds it incredible even under a more objective, cynical eye.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:55:25 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #1688 on: October 21, 2019, 01:36:40 am »
Starting a marathon of the newer Star Wars movies leading up to Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalker.  Gonna go in basic release order, so starting with of course Force Awakens.

Been a little while since I watched this one, rewatching it back before Last Jedi if I remember right, and I still enjoy it.  Just a nice bit of scifi action.  Of course there's the parallels to A New Hope, but there's just enough going on that is different and some cool set pieces that set it apart for me, like the initial Jakku Escape, fighting on Han's smuggling ship, the battle on that planet they get to afterwards, and of course the finale which is great.  This one all around I like as the upcoming movies have more I can nitpick or complain about from what I remember.

Up next will be Rogue One.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:40:22 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1689 on: October 22, 2019, 05:48:06 am »

I hadn't rewatched Rogue One since I think it first came out on Blu-Ray, but my views have changed slightly on it from what I remember.  I had it in my head that the movie struggled more with its characterization, that it was rushing through it all abit, but I don't feel that quite as much on this watch.  I mean it sorta does, like in the first 15 minutes, I think we travel to like a half dozen different planets and locations before it settles down lol I'm mostly alright with everyone even though I feel like the two leads come across a little one note, so when their personalities change, it comes more of a switch than a gradual shift.  Hard to place my views on that exactly, but they are fine for the most part.

That said I enjoy the movie, the the whole third act in particular being really engaging, I just love it all, because it feels very different from what you expect with Star Wars, almost coming off like a war movie with this rag tag group trying to bring it to the Empire even if they know they won't be coming back.  How they take out the shield around the planet is still so awesome.

Next up will be The Last Jedi.

« Reply #1690 on: October 23, 2019, 07:29:27 am »
Quick October catch up:

Oct. 12: Hatchet
Oct. 13: Bloody Birthday
Oct. 14: Bride of Re-Animator
Oct. 15: Mom and Dad
Oct. 16: Happy Death Day 2U
Oct. 17: Matriarch
Oct. 18: Child's Play 2
Oct. 19: Mandy
Oct. 20: Zombieland: Double Tap
Oct. 21: Child's Play 3
Oct. 22: Veronica

And I fit in Joker and El Camino on the 14th as well.

« Reply #1691 on: October 27, 2019, 10:47:27 pm »

Whenever reviewers of various media say something along the lines of "like seeing an old friend again" I often simply shake my head and forget they said something so cliche. However, watching Zombieland Double Tap actually felt like that. The first Zombieland movie is a very memorable, and even special movie to me; my now fiancee and I were just friends when the frist Zombieland came out and we saw it with a few of her friends, including one guy that really wanted to date her, but she wasn't interested at all. In order to discourage hm from pursuing her further, she asked me to pretend that I was her boyfriend, which I did. Her and I talk about that night a lot, as well as Zombieland and how much we enjoyed it. Despite this, I've only seen Zombieland that one time in the theater, but this has to do more with me just never having sat down and watched it again. But seeing all these actors again, many of whom I haven't kept up with or watched any of their newer movies since was like seeing them again after 10-years for the first time, which made watching Doubletap as much of a sentimental experience for me as it was a funny, enjoyable one.

I really enjoyed Zombieland Doubletap, although it was hard for me to judge it compared to the first since it's been so long since I saw that one. I really enjoy the humor of these movies as well as how it is delivered. The newer characters were not shoehorned in either which made not only the movie better, but made their characters more likable as well since it didn't feel like the writers/directors were trying to force them in your face. There was also a lot of really funny references to the first film, as well as the time period it took place in. As I said, watching this movie was very nostalgic for me, and at least from what I can remember it has all the charm, grossness, action, and humor of the first one.

One more thing I wanted to add is I feel like when the first Zombieland came out it was sort of at that point where the whole zombie sub-genre started to really take off in the mainstream. And funny enough I feel like this film seems to be coming at the end of that same zombie fad which has been going on now for around a decade; I definitely see the zombie trend started to die down noticeably, and at least for me these two movies will server as book ends to the whole 2010s Zombie craze.

« Reply #1692 on: October 30, 2019, 05:00:07 am »

Doing this one before The Last Jedi, but like Rogue One, I also still enjoy Solo.  It got a bad rap at the time because of latent Last Jedi frustration, but I think it's overall enjoyable enough.  Not that everything is great, I'm not a huge fan of really ridiculous coincidences, such as his girl showing up in Crimson Dawn, and all the nods to things start to feel kinda ham fisted, but as just a side story, it's fine.  In things like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, big series with a lot to explore, I'm always wanting to explore more of the universe, so I want to see stuff like this and Rogue One and why I didn't hate things like the Hobbit series as much as others.  It's a fun romp and definitely quite watchable.

The Last Jedi up next.  Will be interesting to see how I view it now this far away from the first watch in theater.  I had plenty of issues with it then, but not the same as others had and I'm curious if the stuff I like, still holds up for me and if the stuff I dislike, is worse or about the same...

« Reply #1693 on: November 03, 2019, 06:43:44 am »
And for the remainder of October:

Oct. 23: The Changeling
Oct. 24: Bride of Chucky
Oct. 25: As Above, So Below
Oct. 26: A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Oct. 26: Troll 2
Oct. 26: Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Oct. 27: Seed of Chucky
Oct. 28: Bone Tomahawk
Oct. 29: Insidious
Oct. 30: Don't Breathe
Oct. 31: Curse of Chucky

« Reply #1694 on: November 03, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »

I didn't watch this movie again in preparation of Rise of Skywalker, but just because it's an incredible movie. I actually don't plan on watching Rise of Skywalker until it hits Redbox, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say even at $1.25 + tax I'll feel ripped off after watching it. But anyhow, back to why I made this post.

I know I've reviewed this movie at least once before on here, but after watching it again this morning I simply could not help myself to praise this movie once more. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie, even beating out Empire Strikes Back which was for a very long time my favorite, even for several years after ROTS was out. ROTS is like a fine wine that just gets better and better with age and each repeated viewing.

It is by far the most entertaining of all the Star Wars movies as it possesses the majority of the best Lightsaber fights in the entire saga, with the climactic Obiwan vs Anakin fight being the best lightsaber duel of all, and maybe one of the best on screen fights of any movie, ever. Beyond that there are plentiful military skirmishes, an incredible space battle, and an extremely good story that satisfies in so many ways. Palpatine's ascension to being the emperor, Anakins fall to the dark side, the fall of the Jedi, the collapse of the Republic, everything; this movie is so amazing on so many fronts that I find it impossible not to enjoy this film immensely from start to finish. Then there is the score by John Williams, which with maybe the exception of the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, it is used to amazing effect. Specifically during the end scene where Anakin is given the Vader suit and when order 66 is given give me freakin chills every time.

This is certainly not a perfect movie, but to be fair none of the Star Wars movies are. You can't talk about this movie without talking about Hayden Christianson's acting, which at times is excellent, but at others is laughably bad. Mostly his delivery of various lines is where the limitations of his acting are very much so on display. There is also the criticism that this movie uses way, way too much CGI, which i can understand, but luckily 98% of it has aged well. Aside from that there are small nitpicks here and there, but overall nothing else negative about this movie shines through enough for it to get in the way of my enjoyment of it at all.

Watching this movie now gives me a sense of sadness though. No matter how you look at it Disney has irreparably damaged Star Wars, and while I have not given up all hope for the future of the franchise, I'd be surprised if it ever got this good ever again. I know people like to shit all over the prequel movies, and yes, they are flawed movies, particularly the first two, but they suffer from a fraction of the faults in the Disney films, save maybe Rogue One. I also felt that The Force Awakens was a good launchpad for much better things that were literally all squandered by TLJ, and with TROS being a direct sequel, the foundation of that movie was essentially constructed on quicksand. I don't see how TROS is going to set the franchise right again, but that doesn't mean that it might not find its way in the future. Assuming Disney gets their shit together, makes some radical restructuring decisions within Lucasfilm, and maybe attempts to leave their own mark in the canon either in the Old Republic Era or far in the future beyond the sequel trilogy, I don't know how it will be possible.

But for what it's worth we got 6 decent to masterpiece films that I will forever love, as well as a ton of expanded universe material that Disney stupidly retconned. I've actually been reading a lot of the comics from the old EU and many of them are great and really compliment the movies and other EU material. I don't think I'll ever be able to not love Star Wars seeing how much of an impact its had on me throughout my entire life, and I will be forever grateful I have Revenge of the Sith.