Author Topic: Retro collecting is dying!  (Read 21533 times)

Re: Retro collecting is dying!
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:07 pm »
This may sound horrible, but I hope it does die. There are too many people out there collecting right now just because its "in" or "cool" causing the prices to become over inflated. I blame the hipsters, they pay too much for everything they buy! If Urban Outfitters sold video games I think we'd see Earthbound at $400 for cart only. Once the fad dies off I might be able to afford the games I want!. Sorry for my stupid and illogical rant.

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »
This may sound horrible, but I hope it does die. There are too many people out there collecting right now just because its "in" or "cool" causing the prices to become over inflated. I blame the hipsters, they pay too much for everything they buy! If Urban Outfitters sold video games I think we'd see Earthbound at $400 for cart only. Once the fad dies off I might be able to afford the games I want!. Sorry for my stupid and illogical rant.
nothing stupid and illogical about this.
i cant wait for the prices to drop. thats why im carrying on with my ps3 360 ds collection

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:45 am »
i cant wait for the prices to drop. thats why im carrying on with my ps3 360 ds collection

I also cannot wait until this retro gaming fad runs its course and video games are cheap and accessible again. There are too many gamers and resellers looking for games, making it hard for anyone to find these games. Eventually, hopefully, this fad will pass and at that point maybe 95% of games won't cost nearly as much as they do.

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
Anyone who looks at price charting can see its getting bigger than ever.

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2014, 11:54:30 pm »
Anyone who looks at price charting can see its getting bigger than ever.

I find Price Charting to be fairly unreliable for specific prices, however it does capture trends nicely with their overall pricing graphs. It is currently huge, and I think this recent media attention surrounding the NWC cart that sold for nearly 100g is just going to make things worse in terms of interest in the hobby as well as people trying to sell their common NES or N64 games for a fortune. I remember how bad it got after that idiot on Storage Wars said he found a "super rare" NES model 001 or whatever, and then everyone thought their Mario/Duck Hunt was worth hundreds!

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2014, 12:09:12 am »
I would anticipate for that day...  I see eBay and Amazon sellers overpricing some of the games I'm looking for.

As for current video games, I am becoming inclined towards digital copies since physical copies don't even have manuals anymore.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:10 am »
I would anticipate for that day...  I see eBay and Amazon sellers overpricing some of the games I'm looking for.

As for current video games, I am becoming inclined towards digital copies since physical copies don't even have manuals anymore.

True, but at least you actually own the game when you at least have the disc (assuming there is no DRM crap on the game). There is zero ownership with digital, only the illusion of it.

scott

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2014, 12:13:06 pm »
There is zero ownership with digital, only the illusion of it.

This!

I'll always go physical vs digital. If there is the option. If it ever comes to digital only consoles, I'll retire from new game buying and l look to retro stuffs only.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »

This!

I'll always go physical vs digital. If there is the option. If it ever comes to digital only consoles, I'll retire from new game buying and l look to retro stuffs only.

Hear hear!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »
Im not really going to sweat the possibility of the world going to digital gaming. Its a fad thats not going to survive long in gaming. People are going to want the option to trade a game, sell a game, etc. Consoles are going to break and people are going to want their games back. Plus if it does finally get to that point, there is absolutely no shortage of games I want to play/replay in my library already that I honestly dont have to buy another game for the rest of my own eternity and could fill all my extra space with what I have now.

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »

This!

I have decided the same thing as well. In fact if it were not for the Wii U, I would have retired after this last generation (PS3. 360, Wii), mostly because developers are chopping games up more and more with DLC, season passes, and piss poor excuses for single player campaigns. And don't even get me started on DRM and always online BS. The industry is becoming way too greedy and it is showing signs of coming back and hitting them in the face. But that is another rant lol.

Sadly, I do believe all media, including games, are going digital only, mostly. While I do not believe there will be absolutely no more physical games, I see physical gaming being a small minority of game sales in about 10-years from now. One thing I am really hoping for is mass development for retro consoles coming back, like dozens of new Genesis or N64 games released each year. Sort of the same thing as Vinyl making a comeback as a medium from music. But I am completely and 100% okay with going retro only if I have too. I have the majority of games I could ever want (or possibly play), and there are still around 300 titles I don't have that I hope to pick up over the years.

scott

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2014, 12:22:56 pm »
I've taken a physical only stance on a lot of things. Other than video games, for example, I am staunchly CD only now when buying music. I have a huge list of albums I had bought digital of that I am in the process of slowly buying CDs for. Sire I use an iPod to listen to my music, but everything I own will be in disc format. There is nothing better than opening a new album, popping the disc in the player and listening through it. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »
I've taken a physical only stance on a lot of things. Other than video games, for example, I am staunchly CD only now when buying music.
There is nothing better than opening a new album, popping the disc in the player and listening through it.

I agree with you 100% on this -and- I also still strictly buy my music 'physically' by buying the CD's  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

90snostalga

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »
I've taken a physical only stance on a lot of things. Other than video games, for example, I am staunchly CD only now when buying music. I have a huge list of albums I had bought digital of that I am in the process of slowly buying CDs for. Sire I use an iPod to listen to my music, but everything I own will be in disc format. There is nothing better than opening a new album, popping the disc in the player and listening through it.

Agreed.  I have over 60 physical real cd's (not bootlegs) and I actually have about 30 vinyl albums as well from Hendrix to the Beatles to Madonna to Redman and Methman on vinyl.  I love music  :D

scott

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »
Nice, I'm sitting at just under 200 cds. I have a wishlist of over 100 more that need to be bought, including digital ones that need replacing.