Author Topic: Board Games!  (Read 17004 times)

brunauss

Re: Board Games!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 03:19:26 am »
Ooooooooooooooooooooooo

Now people are uploading pictures of their closets and closet shelves. One more thing I have to take a picture of, when done uploading my library to here  ;)
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

jobocan

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
So I just got this game that I think will be of interest to people here.

It's called "Battlecon: War of Indines". The reason I think people on here might like it is that it's actually a 2 player head-to-head 2D fighting game. Literally, it's a board game version of Street Fighter.
Both you and your opponent play a combo of 2 cards (a character-unique style and a base attack card), then you see who has the highest priority and the turn plays out based on that and various effects on both cards. You'll be moving along a small 2D area trying to avoid or hit your opponent so there's thought to be put during every turn. The game ends when either a player has no health left or the timer (which lasts 15 turns) ends.

Very cool game. There's 18 different playable characters which all play very differently (plus some promos if you can find them) and a ton of different play variants for replay value (tag team, 4-player battles, different arenas to fight in, super attacks). And there's a standalone expansion upcoming which adds a ton of characters and even more play variants like a single/multi-player dungeon crawl.

If you like fighting games you should definitely check this out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:06:23 pm by jobocan »

jobocan

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:21 pm »
Started building that collection up a little bit:

scott

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:03 am »
My sister picked up Pandemic and Gloom this weekend and we played both of them. I really likedPandemic, and I may need to buy that myself. Gloom on the other hand, while catering to my morbid humor, I wasn't in the mood for story telling and I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I'll give Gloom a second chance though, cause I really should like it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:11 pm »
Yeah Pandemic is really fun. I need to try it with the expansion. Apparently it makes it tougher and it seems to add lots of stuff such as infection mutations (and a traitor element, which people seem to prefer ignoring).

Actually, I don't have the game, maybe I should pick up the new reprint some time (since that's the one that will be supported from now on).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 02:52:52 am »
So I recently purchased this Wizards of the Coast board game:

Which is a 2012 re-release of this classic TSR board game:

I'd rather have that awesome retro-looking original version, but with all the pieces that goes for a hefty price. They did a great job on the re-release, from all the pics I've seen, though. Pretty dang close to the original (different artwork notwithstanding).

This one, like my recent Star Control purchase for my Sega Genesis, is another purchase that's dear to my heart. As I mentioned in the recent game pick-ups thread, I just found out my dad has stage 4 cancer and we have no time-frame on how long he has left. This was a game we used to play a lot together when I was a kid (the original version). I freaking loved it and always asked him to play it when I visited his house. So this was a purchase so we could enjoy this together while we can, I can have that memory with me forever.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:57:31 am by burningdoom »

amauriel

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »
I see this thread was pretty dead until burningdoom posted today, but since I wasn't around for the first time...I LOVE board games. I don't have nearly as many as I do video games, but it seems we've collected quite a few in the last year or so. My favorites are Ticket to Ride and Power Grid, but we picked up both Alien Frontier and Compounded at PAX East this year and I am really enjoying those. We've also got stuff like Alhambra, King of Tokyo, Settlers of Catan, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, and a lot of those ones you see on top board game lists like The Dice Tower.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

bobster

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:27 am »
I see this thread was pretty dead until burningdoom posted today, but since I wasn't around for the first time...I LOVE board games. I don't have nearly as many as I do video games, but it seems we've collected quite a few in the last year or so. My favorites are Ticket to Ride and Power Grid, but we picked up both Alien Frontier and Compounded at PAX East this year and I am really enjoying those. We've also got stuff like Alhambra, King of Tokyo, Settlers of Catan, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, and a lot of those ones you see on top board game lists like The Dice Tower.
Alien Frontiers is really good. I need to pick up a copy myself. Gotta love Ticket to Ride and Power Grid though! My gaming group has been pretty obsessed with Bohnanza at the moment. What's not to love about a bean farming game!

Other than that, I finally got to bust out Carcassonne on Friday. Just like you said, I don't own as many as I'd like to.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

jobocan

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »
I've been wanting to pick up Alien Frontiers for a while but it's not too easy to find. I did find a copy recently, but I bought a copy of Puzzle Strike instead (also a tough game to find).

My board game collection is starting to get out of control (for me at least), but I slowed down quite a bit:
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/jobocan?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 12:38:53 am »
My cousin gave me a couple sets of World Of Warcraft: Heroes Of Azeroth & Onyxia's Lair.  Design looks pretty nice, sadly I just don't know how to play the game  Awesome thought for a gift, though.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

tripredacus

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 11:35:27 am »
I only have a couple of board games. The original Electronic Battleship and the TMNT board game. And I recently got the 80s SE Trivial Pursuit which I recall fond times playing it. I refer to it as the "Michael Dukakis game."

amauriel

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 07:53:20 pm »
I only have a couple of board games. The original Electronic Battleship and the TMNT board game. And I recently got the 80s SE Trivial Pursuit which I recall fond times playing it. I refer to it as the "Michael Dukakis game."

The TMNT Pizza Power game from the '80s? The one with the "Battle Flipper"? 'Cuz that thing is awesome.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

tripredacus

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:05 am »

The TMNT Pizza Power game from the '80s? The one with the "Battle Flipper"? 'Cuz that thing is awesome.

The Pizza Power game. I had it when I was a kid but that is long gone. I recently found it at a thrift store, but I haven't looked to see if it is complete. BUT thanks! I totally forgot, I also have the Gobots board game!
http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Novelty/BoardGame.html

jcalder8

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:20 pm »
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the other collection thread but I thought this thread could use some love so why not :D

I have started to collect the Marvel Dice Masters game. I love the look of the cards and the way the tie the dice into the characters. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but it reminds me of when I collected the Marvel cards in the 90s.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:14 am »
One Board Game I'd love to have is Key to the Kingdom

I had a friend in elementary school who had it and I'd want to spend the night at his house just to play it! LOL and when the game got old we'd play imaginary games, pretending we were fighting characters on the monster cards. Once I get ahead on my finances a bit, I'll be tracking this one down :p

They were board games, but I also really want to grab some old Might Max play sets I used to have when I was younger.