Author Topic: Music thread  (Read 35442 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Music thread
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 10:27:07 am »
I like Quennsryche!

Actually, my old guitar teacher (foolishly, in retrospect) turned down an offer to be 1 of their guitarists  :o

Another school friend of mine (Paul Crook) wound up playing w/ Anthrax...small world.

So as not to re-type all of this again, if you want to, read this: ==>

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1811.300.html

Also coming from a metal-lover...I Love/get chills sometimes listening to Bette Midler singing "The Rose"; it's...just...beautiful  :'(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »
I've loved Eurobeat/Italo Disco music for years now, and I've really been listening to a lot of it within the past 2 months.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:23 pm »
So, the band shirts I ordered came in this morning. I was torn on whether to put this in the Metal thread or this thread, but it probably belongs here more because the only metal shirt is the Sunn shirt.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »
Any of you guys dig progressive rock?

King Crimson's Red is one of my personal favorite albums of the genre as well as one of my all time favorite albums in general.

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »
Speaking of progressive rock/new prog, look at what I picked up today:

OH IT'S ONLY 3 OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME, ESPECIALLY THE LATTER TWO

I'm dead shocked that they were in stock at my local (barely urban) music trader, let alone the Coheed and Cambria albums. $30 well spent.

scott

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
Yay Coheed! I do love them, I have a playlist on my ipod of all their albums in "chronological" order.

Did you pick up The Afterman albums yet? I really enjoyed them, far more than Year of the Black Rainbow and No World for Tomorrow.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »
Yay Coheed! I do love them, I have a playlist on my ipod of all their albums in "chronological" order.

Did you pick up The Afterman albums yet? I really enjoyed them, far more than Year of the Black Rainbow and No World for Tomorrow.
Loving the air quotes around chronological ;) "What do you mean 'you don't start your discography with 2?'" I've listened to Ascension and Descension, and they're absolutely amazing. In fact, I'm really considering reading the Amory Wars one of these days. Honestly, all of their albums are up to here in quality to me but I'd have to say Silent Earth: 3 and Second Stage Turbine Blade are tied for my personal favorite. I can't seem to find a copy of anything else around here, and for the time being I have no method of buying online (and even if I could, shipping to Canada? Yikes. Cheap Canadian retailers are few and far between.) But I'll get them all sooner or later.

scott

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »
Agreed. I listen to Second Stage Turbine Blade constantly. I meant "chronological" by saying my playlist starts with Ascension and ends with No World for Tomorrow. Rather than release date.

I have some of the comics and trade paperbacks, wish I had the TPB of IV: Vol 1. though... I was also able to snag the special edition of Black Rainbow with the novel bundled with it. I haven't read it yet though.

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »
Agreed. I listen to Second Stage Turbine Blade constantly. I meant "chronological" by saying my playlist starts with Ascension and ends with No World for Tomorrow. Rather than release date.

I have some of the comics and trade paperbacks, wish I had the TPB of IV: Vol 1. though... I was also able to snag the special edition of Black Rainbow with the novel bundled with it. I haven't read it yet though.
I'd have to say Devil in Jersey City is my favorite song from Second Stage Turbine Blade, and Al The Killer and Cuts Marked In The March of Men are tied for my favorite on Silent Earth 3. But the best way of listening to them is by the full album, of course. And oh, I'm silly. I forgot about the chronology of the canon.

Also, I'm so jealous about the novel and comic.

scott

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:11 pm »
Ya I got super lucky on the Novel. I think I picked it up shortly after release for like $20 on Amazon? I guess it's spendy now a days.

sin2beta

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »
So.... I'm starting to really appreciate Madonna. I started listening to her while completing my SG-1000 game list of 1983. I decided to listen to some music and watch some movies of that year. And, honestly, Borderline may be in contention for my favorite song of that year.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 02:48:58 am »
Raised in a rock-heavy household, although we do listen to different genres and are pretty flexible.  Also, I'm more of an alternative listener with a very limited taste for country and hip hop.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »

Picked up I Mother Earth's first album, Dig, and Ignite's Our Darkest Days for $3 each!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:48:56 pm by exonerator »

bobster

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 09:46:03 am »
Man Ignite is so good! Nice pickup!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 11:35:51 am »
Man Ignite is so good! Nice pickup!
Agreed! :D I Mother Earth is really good as well. They're more of an alt rock band (especially in their later releases), but some of their earlier songs are really good funk metal, much like Snot or Primus. ALSO THEY'RE CANADIAN OHHHH CANADAAAAA