Author Topic: What do you like to collect, sealed or opened games?  (Read 3280 times)

What do you like to collect, sealed or opened games?
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »
I was thinking about this one because i saw a video on youtube (Scott his name, do video game sellers videos) and he was talking about that he doesnt like collect sealed games, because he want to play it and other stuff (well you can buy 2 copies or download a emulator xD) so i was thinking why not get sealed games? which is the real reason that he cant collect sealed games?. For me doesnt matter, but I like to collect sealed games over the prowend one. For example I have Final fantasy 8 and final fantasy 9 both sealed but also i have 2 more copies of each one (black label and gratest hits) that are opened, so if I find a game that i really like, i try to find the sealed copy for the reason that is valuable and because i like the game. So tell me, sealed or opened game and why :D

Re: What do you like to collect, sealed or opened games?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:04:31 pm »
as long as it has the disc and a box im happy. manual is a plus

im a gamer first and a collector second

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
I don't really care to have sealed games. I like to play them and no emulating is not the same as playing the cart. I also really do not mess with disk based games I leave that to the kid. If I ever decide to get sealed games it will be a few games I had as a kid that are my favourites. The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, Metroid, and maybe the the Marios and they will go on the wall in shadow boxes. I really do not see it happening though. I pretty much stick to thrifts for my games, sometimes I go to the used game store and see if I can get the 5 for $5 deal. I just do this for fun.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:02 pm »
honestly same reasons as scott(scottsquatch as it says on his youtube) for me. I never got why people collect sealed games. I tried to but they always somehow end up opened, and the two I have sealed still are for possible trades cause I either don't care for the game or it's a double, but got a great deal for it.

and honestly if you haven't checked out Scottsquatch's channel you should
http://www.youtube.com/user/JHMDF
and holy hell look at at his game room video

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »
My collection is meant to be played; but that doesn't stop me from buying a sealed game if the price is right. If I can get a sealed copy of a game for the same price as an open one, I will buy it and put it on the shelf sealed. When I'm ready to play the game I check ebay to see if the price has gone up. If so I'll buy an open copy of the game and put the sealed one on ebay. If not I wont waste two seconds opening it.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:56 pm »
Everything is correct, but i love more collect sealed over opened games, specifically on games I like. I think is the best you can get from that game you love, beside to play it of course (because if you love it you will want to get a used copy to play it and other for collect it). Like i said, I'm crazy with final fantasy games, and for example, I owned 5 copies of FF7 (misprint black label,misprint greatest hits, black label, 2 greatest hits) and I would like to have the sealed copy too because there i would say: now i have every copy of the game (also i have the international version and the Japanese too). I dont know maybe I'm too fanatic of the dam game that i get into craziness with it xD

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:32 pm »
My hope is to become obscenely rich, buy tons of sealed versions of super-rare games, and make videos where I open them up and play them while laughing maniacally... and then sell them for a couple dollars just to mess with the market.
Having trouble with the "getting rich" part though.

Really not into sealed games, I don't exactly get the point of getting a game if you're not gonna play it (and if you buy extras to play... why not just open the sealed one and give it to someone who will play it?). The only reason I may have a sealed game is if I just didn't get to playing it yet... My only "sealed" game right now is Mario & Luigi Dream Team, and that's gonna change within a week or 2.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:30:31 pm »
I buy them opened, since it's cheaper, and I never keep my games sealed.

scott

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:02 pm »
I'd rather have an open game that I can play, than a sealed game that just sits there. Sure I have my Castlevania collection in nice plastic protectors, but I also have loose copies of each of the Cart based games to play.

Most of the sealed games I own are actually ones that I've bought and not gotten a chance to play yet... like the SMT: Devil Summoner games on PS2. Though I do have a couple sealed games that I bought cause the price was right, such as D for Saturn from Foxhack. I have one copy of a Naruto game that we got for a Review copy for Digital Something years ago. I never got a chance to open it up and review it and it sits on my PS2 shelf. I've decided to leave that one sealed.

But for the most part, I don't care for sealed games and agree with the point of view that a collection is meant to be played. Any game that I got new and bought it with the intention to play it will get opened eventually. And I always open Collector's Editions, because I like to look appreciate the work these companies put into making it special.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:09:59 pm »
I've passed over sealed games for open games. A local game store prices them the same. The price is based on title, doesn't matter if it is loose, complete, or sealed. But I figure, someone else will get more enjoyment out of a sealed game than I would who will just open it up.

Now, I do have a few sealed games. They are doubles and were found insanely cheap. They are some Game Gear games I found for $1 a piece. I plan on keeping these sealed. After so many decades, I kind of forgot what it was like to hold a Game Gear box. It's also the only system I have that has the horrible cardboard boxes. So, I plan to keep a few as a personal historical reference of... "this is what Game Gear games looked like". The sealed aspect just means I'm not opening them, bending the cardboard, and ruining the box. They seem to stay dent free easier when sealed. I know that thin plastic can't protect it, but somehow it seems to.

I don't see a big difference between sealed and unsealed Genesis games.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:23 am »
My hope is to become obscenely rich, buy tons of sealed versions of super-rare games, and make videos where I open them up and play them while laughing maniacally... and then sell them for a couple dollars just to mess with the market.
Having trouble with the "getting rich" part though.

Really not into sealed games, I don't exactly get the point of getting a game if you're not gonna play it (and if you buy extras to play... why not just open the sealed one and give it to someone who will play it?). The only reason I may have a sealed game is if I just didn't get to playing it yet... My only "sealed" game right now is Mario & Luigi Dream Team, and that's gonna change within a week or 2.

You and I think to much alike sometimes. 

VGA graded ones then take a hammer to the acrylic box.  Don't damage the actual game box.  I bet some collectors would piss right down both legs.

I figure you wouldn't mess with the market too much.  Probably some reseller would snatch it up immediately and then post it for sell priced sky high before the dust settled. :-\
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:57:48 am by ffxik »

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:10 am »
I like to buy used games because I don't like to open them. My wife put an irrational fear of opening collector's editions.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:05 am »
My collection is meant to be played; but that doesn't stop me from buying a sealed game if the price is right. If I can get a sealed copy of a game for the same price as an open one, I will buy it and put it on the shelf sealed. When I'm ready to play the game I check ebay to see if the price has gone up. If so I'll buy an open copy of the game and put the sealed one on ebay. If not I wont waste two seconds opening it.

This is the answer that would be the closest to my own.

I don't limit myself to one and/or restrict myself from the other.

IMO, under the right circumstances - they both are worth looking at.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:48 am »
This is a pretty debated topic often. This is my point of view. If I find a game sealed for the right price, Ill take it. I have a lot of the games in my DQ collection sealed. They were actually cheaper (low watched auctions vs BIN) than a complete copy so I snatched them up. I also have a few games in my collection that I found sealed that I went ahead and bought. Do I search specifically for sealed games? No.

But its all taste. Some people actually prefer sealed games and to them I say good luck. Lots of people will mention the "games are meant to be played" as a reason to never own sealed games but, at the same time, people collect guns, stamps, money, cards, comics, etc. All of those items have a purpose outside of collecting too. I say do what you want and dont let anyone else tell you how or what to collect. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
This is a pretty debated topic often. This is my point of view. If I find a game sealed for the right price, Ill take it. I have a lot of the games in my DQ collection sealed. They were actually cheaper (low watched auctions vs BIN) than a complete copy so I snatched them up. I also have a few games in my collection that I found sealed that I went ahead and bought. Do I search specifically for sealed games? No.

But its all taste. Some people actually prefer sealed games and to them I say good luck. Lots of people will mention the "games are meant to be played" as a reason to never own sealed games but, at the same time, people collect guns, stamps, money, cards, comics, etc. All of those items have a purpose outside of collecting too. I say do what you want and dont let anyone else tell you how or what to collect. :)

SOERA

for President!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"