Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Interton VC 4000  (Read 3063 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Interton VC 4000
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and this time I'm looking at a console that was mainly released in Germany, the Interton VC 4000.

Interton VC 4000

History:
In 1978, Interton released the Electronic VC 4000 Video Computer that was only released in Germany, they also allowed other companies to release their system under different names across Europe. Radofin also released this console as the 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System (APVS) and many other names around Europe as early as 1976. Thou the Radofin was released first, Interton claims to have created the system in 1974 but was late to release it. 

How did it do?
Fairly well in Germany, it was made til 1983.

Graphics:
Similar to Atari, most games feel like clones of popular games of it's time.

Is this system still fun to play?
It can be, but again most of the games are similar to an Atari 2600 game.

What games are worth playing?
The VC 4000 only released 37 games, the ones I got a kick out of playing are Invaders and Monster Man.

How many versions are there?
There's two style of models; the VC4000 style and the APVS styles. The VC4000 had about 8 different models that I could find and the APVS style had about 13. Basically the 2 styles play the same but the carts are different sizes.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Well if you don't live in a European country finding this console will be a challenge. But if you do import one, then you'll need a compatible PAL television. You can't use a converter because it only uses RF output. I tried a converter once and the frame rate was so bad it wasn't playable. If anyone reading this has found a good PAL to NTSC RF converter let me know. You'll also need a 220 volt converter if you live in the states. The the controller uses an analog stick and and a twelve button keypad with two red fire buttons look and feels almost like an Atari 5200 controller, but at least the 5200 was numbered.
The RF cord is hardwired into the console and thank god the controllers and power supply is not. But for some reason the controllers are hardwired into the APVS model I have.
The systems them selves usually run under $100 and most games are pretty cheap. Most of the cost will be shipping it from European countries.

My Experience with the Console
I got a good deal from a lady in Germany for the VC4000, came with 12 of the 37 games and many are uncommon. One of the controllers cord is white instead of black making me thing the controller was replaced, but at least it works. Hooking this thing up is the only problem I had. I own a multi-region CRT TV I picked up from a garage sale. Some days I can get it to run with a poor picture, other days it plays but the screen is so full of static its hard to play. I tried a trick I read about by opening the console up and adjusting a knob inside but It doesn't seem to help for me. I might need a more compatible PAL TV or the RF cord has issues. Then I got the APVS style of the VC4000 called the Acetronic MPU 1000, It plays better then the VC4000 but still has a poor picture and static sound. There's a sound adjustment knob on both consoles but It doesn't seem to do anything. The controller takes a lot of getting used to, imagine going from left to right but the ship your playing wont move til the stick it at the full opposite direction.

Final Thoughts
Unless you live in Europe and find one cheap, this is a collectors only console. Buying a PAL TV and a 220 volt converter only adds to the cost of playing this system. The games are nothing you cant play on an Atari 2600, its a console only for those who are crazy enough to want every gaming console in history. (like me) lol

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out, kinda makes you see the evolution. I'll try and have one up every weekend.   :D

Leave reply's on your experience with the VC 4000, Maybe your from Europe and have seen this console. I would love to hear them.  :D   
Next week we're coming back to the states to look at the first console to give Atari a run for it's money.

By the Numbers: Only 5 people own this console on Vgcollect and two of them are owned by me.  :P

Past Reviews:
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:27:47 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: My 8-Bits: Interton VC 4000
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:19:09 am »
In Poland regular price for Interton VC 4000 is about 40$ at online auctions (60$ boxed) and about 20$ at flee market. The games are quite common.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:33:19 am by mastafafik »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:12 am »
I've never heard of this one; but as always, I enjoy what your doing here.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:11:35 am by turf »

razorbeamz

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:54 am »
Where was this a couple months ago when I was writing a paper about the game industry in Germany? All I could find was a two page thing in a book about game consoles!
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 07:58:38 am »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and this time I'm looking at a console that was mainly released in Germany, the Interton VC 4000.

Interton VC 4000

History:
In 1978, Interton released the Electronic VC 4000 Video Computer that was only released in Germany, they also allowed other companies to release their system under different names across Europe. Radofin also released this console as the 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System (APVS) and many other names around Europe as early as 1976. Thou the Radofin was released first, Interton claims to have created the system in 1974 but was late to release it. 

How did it do?
Fairly well in Germany, it was made til 1983.

Graphics:
Similar to Atari, most games feel like clones of popular games of it's time.

Is this system still fun to play?
It can be, but again most of the games are similar to an Atari 2600 game.

What games are worth playing?
The VC 4000 only released 37 games, the ones I got a kick out of playing are Invaders and Monster Man.

How many versions are there?
There's two style of models; the VC4000 style and the APVS styles. The VC4000 had about 8 different models that I could find and the APVS style had about 13. Basically the 2 styles play the same but the carts are different sizes.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Well if you don't live in a European country finding this console will be a challenge. But if you do import one, then you'll need a compatible PAL television. You can't use a converter because it only uses RF output. I tried a converter once and the frame rate was so bad it wasn't playable. If anyone reading this has found a good PAL to NTSC RF converter let me know. You'll also need a 220 volt converter if you live in the states. The the controller uses an analog stick and and a twelve button keypad with two red fire buttons look and feels almost like an Atari 5200 controller, but at least the 5200 was numbered.
The RF cord is hardwired into the console, but for some reason the controllers are hardwired into the APVS model I have with descargar meet para pc.
The systems them selves usually run under $100 and most games are pretty cheap. Most of the cost will be shipping it from European countries.

My Experience with the Console
I got a good deal from a lady in Germany for the VC4000, came with 12 of the 37 games and many are uncommon. One of the controllers cord is white instead of black making me thing the controller was replaced, but at least it works. Hooking this thing up is the only problem I had. I own a multi-region CRT TV I picked up from a garage sale. Some days I can get it to run with a poor picture, other days it plays but the screen is so full of static its hard to play. I tried a trick I read about by opening the console up and adjusting a knob inside but It doesn't seem to help for me. I might need a more compatible PAL TV or the RF cord has issues. Then I got the APVS style of the VC4000 called the Acetronic MPU 1000, It plays better then the VC4000 but still has a poor picture and static sound. There's a sound adjustment knob on both consoles but It doesn't seem to do anything. The controller takes a lot of getting used to, imagine going from left to right but the ship your playing wont move til the stick it at the full opposite direction.

Final Thoughts
Unless you live in Europe and find one cheap, this is a collectors only console. Buying a PAL TV and a 220 volt converter only adds to the cost of playing this system. The games are nothing you cant play on an Atari 2600, its a console only for those who are crazy enough to want every gaming console in history. (like me) lol

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out, kinda makes you see the evolution. I'll try and have one up every weekend.   :D

Leave reply's on your experience with the VC 4000, Maybe your from Europe and have seen this console. I would love to hear them.  :D   
Next week we're coming back to the states to look at the first console to give Atari a run for it's money.

By the Numbers: Only 5 people own this console on Vgcollect and two of them are owned by me.  :P

Past Reviews:
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey

Ram merory 37 bytes only :)))))))))))))

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 05:49:41 pm »
Very interesting I don't think I'll ever be into owning one but liked learning about it thanks!

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:12:24 am »
Funny, I live in Germany and this specific console was offered to me in box for 40,- euros just a few days ago. For it really being a different gamer's generation than I am, I refused. But this offer gave me the opportunity to look this thing up. I didn't knew it until then and am amazed by the fact that there was a microprocessor-driven console in the late 70's (I learned it was released in 1978 and the company went bancrupt in 1983) developed, produced and marketed in Germany.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!