Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514212 times)

argyle

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1395 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
XIII-2 was probably the most fun I've had getting plat in an RPG, followed closely by Ni no Kuni.

I gave up on the Ni no Kuni plat cause I could not seem to farm enough ingredients. Looking for gold monsters was a lot of time invested.

There's really only one trophy that requires a good amount of farming, and I've been told by others that I got lucky on it because it didn't really take me that long (maybe a couple of hours farming for the rarest ingredient, when I've heard that others tried for days with no luck). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

scott

« Reply #1396 on: July 08, 2014, 05:02:55 pm »
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse released on the 3DS VC! I can finally play it again, yay.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1397 on: July 08, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse released on the 3DS VC! I can finally play it again, yay.

How long has it been, Stranger?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #1398 on: July 13, 2014, 04:16:55 am »
Been playing a good bit of King of Fighters XIII lately, very fun fighting game, actually looking to invest in an arcade stick, probably the 100 dollar Madcatz one as I want to see if I do better with one or not.  Really invigorated fighting games for me and was helped along with watching so many fights from EVO2014 lol

Also kinda bought BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger on PC.  Don't know if it's a great fighter or not, seems okay, but definitely got it for the soundtrack that came with it as I realized that BlazBlue is made by the Guilty Gear folks and being that Guilty Gear has some of the best game music, I had to get this for the soundtrack and was not disappointed.  Just a good continuation of what was done with Guilty Gear.  For only 10 bucks on PC, it's probably worth it on the soundtrack alone lol

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1399 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:09 pm »
I wanted to play a grown up game this weekend. I had several shooters on the shelf; so I fired up Crysis 3. I don't know if I need to play the first 2 or what, but that will likely be the last time I play it.

foxhack

« Reply #1400 on: July 13, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
Dark Souls. I finally made it to Anor Londo.

My stress levels are through the roof right now.

« Reply #1401 on: July 13, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »
This is a question kind of directed towards soera but anyone else is more then welcome to answer.

I am currently playing through Shovel Knight (which is awesome) and am trying to figure out which of the games in my backlog to play next. Ni No Kuni has been on my shelf, sealed, since release day. Can you convince me that it's the game I should play next!? I'm a fan of traditional JRPGs from the SNES/PS1 eras but I find myself with a much shorter attention span then I had as a kid. I only have about 6-9 hours a week to dedicate to videogames. Is Ni No Kuni right for me?

maximo310

« Reply #1402 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »
I finally got super smash bros melee 2 weeks ago so I'm going through the 1 player modes.  I'm also halfway through Shovel Knight after my bro begged me to play through the game as he is doing new game+ right now.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1403 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:23 am »
Played/tested my copy of Pitfall II for the Atari 2600 that I bought from theflea.

The boy played it a bit too. Not a bad way to burn 2 hours on Sunday.

argyle

« Reply #1404 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:13 am »
I wanted to play a grown up game this weekend. I had several shooters on the shelf; so I fired up Crysis 3. I don't know if I need to play the first 2 or what, but that will likely be the last time I play it.

IMO the Crysis game feel very generic.  They're pretty, but that's all they have going for them.  The closest they came to making a real fleshed-out game was the second one, but I wouldn't even really recommend that one. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1405 on: July 14, 2014, 05:26:19 am »

Well the first one I remember being a kinda generic game and bland shooter, with really just the suit being the only interesting thing.  Crysis 2, like Argyle said, it was the one that kinda set itself apart more to try and stand on its own better, but I didn't play too far into it.  Same with 3, which just seemed like an extension of the second, but again, I didn't play too far.  If you just didn't have fun playing it, going back to the previous ones won't help, they all play the same basically.  There's also not too much story I think your missing if the story is bad to you as these aren't games that are well known for their glorious narrative...really most military type shooters these days aren't lol

I think the only one in recent memory that had an entertaining singleplayer experience was Bad Company 1 because it had some humor to it and wasn't just about fighting some version of the Russian or Chinese military for world domination or whatever...till they release Bad Company 2 and ruined it :\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:33:36 am by kamikazekeeg »

soera

« Reply #1406 on: July 16, 2014, 07:07:54 pm »
This is a question kind of directed towards soera but anyone else is more then welcome to answer.

I am currently playing through Shovel Knight (which is awesome) and am trying to figure out which of the games in my backlog to play next. Ni No Kuni has been on my shelf, sealed, since release day. Can you convince me that it's the game I should play next!? I'm a fan of traditional JRPGs from the SNES/PS1 eras but I find myself with a much shorter attention span then I had as a kid. I only have about 6-9 hours a week to dedicate to video games. Is Ni No Kuni right for me?

Just now noticed this message. I feel you on the shorter attention span when it comes to games. I find myself without a lot of free time. Ni no Kuni however is one of those games that you find time to play. Even if you only have 3 minutes to spare, you will use it on the game. It keeps you that interested that your time you are not on the game, you are thinking about it when you arent on. I find myself thinking about playing it again even now. I have such a huge backlog that I dont think Ill ever get everything played ... but Ni no Kuni will be played through again at least once, I guarantee.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1407 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:12 pm »
Just finished playing Road Runner for NES by Tengen on the Retron 5.

I played Crysis 1 on the PC when it first came out and it was amazing. The powers of the suit make it a game you can play multiple ways. First time I went the kill em all and let God sort em out route. Later I went the more stealthy sneak around route.

The maps were quite huge at the time. The PC version also had this awesome firefight between aircraft and anti aircraft missiles and I remember getting out of the helicopter with jets crashing all around me and going holy shit the immersion is amazing. (I have a creative 5.1 sound setup).

Played it recently on PS 3 and yeah... It's just ok.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:18:45 pm by dashv »

« Reply #1408 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »
WOW and MarioKart8

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #1409 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:13 pm »
Silent Hill Play Novel. I can only understand about half of it. 8)

Cybil was always my favorite.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.