Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 504957 times)

90snostalga

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1095 on: April 24, 2014, 08:59:58 pm »
I'm now jumping on Wolfenstein 3D for computer along with playing Donkey Kong for SNES...

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1096 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:15 pm »
I started really playing the new Strider on the PS4. It's actually really good.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1097 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:48 am »
I'm struggling to get through Mario and Luigi Dream Team. This game is just not fun. I don't know how deep I am because my son keeps playing it. The timer says 6 hours, but it's probably only about 3-4 hours of me.

Man, I hope this thing picks up.

blipcs76

« Reply #1098 on: April 25, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
Finally got around to starting Xenoblade Chronicles.  For as much as this game was talked up by people, the first 2-3 hours didn't really impress me much.  But once i got out of the initial area, the game really started to open up.  The combat system is great and the environments are absolutely stunning.  Once I got into the first large open area, I was amazed at the scope of this game.  Draw distance is fantastic and really gives you a sense of how large this world is.

So now I'm hooked.  We just had our first baby last month and I find myself trading extremely valuable sleep to spend just a little more time with this game.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1099 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:18 am »
Finally got around to starting Xenoblade Chronicles.  For as much as this game was talked up by people, the first 2-3 hours didn't really impress me much.  But once i got out of the initial area, the game really started to open up.  The combat system is great and the environments are absolutely stunning.  Once I got into the first large open area, I was amazed at the scope of this game.  Draw distance is fantastic and really gives you a sense of how large this world is.

So now I'm hooked.  We just had our first baby last month and I find myself trading extremely valuable sleep to spend just a little more time with this game.

I've heard that's the greatest/worst thing this gen - seems to be a very Love-it-or-Hate-It kind of game; which isn't to say anything postive or negative about it as I haven't played it.

Hell, Cross Edge, One of my favorite games of that gen (with, IMO THE BEST battle system since...well...I can't think of ANY battle system from ANY game from ANY gen that I thought was nearly as good as this one:) was also very much a Love/Hate kind of game because the learning curve was more like a straight line...many people gave up on it (understandably); seriously...I needed to invest hours reading about & actually using all of the systems before I grasped everything about it -SO- I don't blame those who put it down before getting to that "AHA"! point in the game where everything made sense.

I remember reviewers witholding scores from the game due to being unable to "beat" it (see it through to the end) in the time that they were alloted w/ the game before writing their reviews.

Said reviewers also gained respect in my eyes by doing so, because, many other reviewers (in the same situation) just bashed/negatively reviewed it = I'd prefer/respect the integrity of NO review at all > one based on completing less than 1/2 of a game  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #1100 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
I was playing Nier the other night & reminded of the review by the guy who slammed it because he couldn't figure out an extremely simple fishing quest...  :P

Xenoblade is the best RPG of that gen imo, and with many others that I loved that's really saying something from me.  I adore that game - they did a perfect blending of the freedom you feel with an open-world game along with the story focus and clear path forward you get from a more traditional JRPG.  The characters are fantastic (and very well voice acted), the combat never got old and the questing is downright addictive.  I was amazed after sinking well over 100 hours into it to finish it that I then starting reading FAQs on the game and discovered the amount of content I somehow missed!   :o  I definitely want to do a new game + of that one eventually.

As soon as X has a release date, you'll have the date I will own a Wii U.  :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #1101 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »
Xenoblade is the best RPG of that gen imo

You would put Xenoblade over Ni no Kuni or Bravely Default? I havent gotten a chance to totally dive into Xenoblade but it really sounds like I need to.

argyle

« Reply #1102 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:17 pm »
I haven't finished Bravely Default, but as much as I loved NNK - yes.  I thought NNK's one weak point was the battle system.  The only 2 criticisms I can level at Xenoblade are:

1) It's not in HD.

2) Inventory management could be easier.

That's it.  :)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #1103 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:12 pm »
HD doesnt bother me in the slightest. I think the video output on the Wii is just fine.

Ive been wanting to start a new game. I have Witch, Conception II, FF X/X-2 HD, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Xenoblade, Pandora's tower, and Last story should be here in a few days. I really wanted to crank out Witch but if Xenoblade really is as good as you say, I may pick it first. Have you played the other 2 Xseed titles? Are they as good?

argyle

« Reply #1104 on: April 25, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »
I've heard from a friend of mine on another board that Last Story is excellent, but I haven't gotten past the introduction stuff myself (which was very cool, I just had other things I was playing at the time).  No idea about Pandora's - I own it but haven't touched it. 

The HD wasn't a big deal to me either really, that was my point.  ;)  I would have been nice (and I guess we'll get that with X) but it certainly didn't hurt the game.  It's still one of the most impressive-looking games on the Wii IMO, especially some of the really long vista shots.  I will say this - make sure you have a lot of time set aside for it, because it is a lengthy game even by JRPG standards. 

« Reply #1105 on: April 25, 2014, 08:46:28 pm »
Poked around the PS2 007 games I grabbed the other day and it was not good lol Agent Under Fire, the game I kinda got for free, was sadly too scratched to work at all.  I'm pretty sure it's the bond game I'm thinking of I remember playing a lot of. 

Nightfire started out kinda bad with your "tutorial" mission being pressing shoot a couple times because it was auto targeting things for you, and then you kinda got to drive the car for a short bit, and that was it.  Then it puts you into a mission where it tells you nothing about the gear you have on you and just sorta lets you go.  They don't understand tutortials very well lol

Everything or Nothing surprised me, being that it's a third person shooter, but it's kinda bad.  You basically HAVE to target enemies, then fire to shoot them, mostly spending your time in cover unless you want to run and gun, which you can, but still forced into basically locking onto enemies.  Was not impressed by that at all.

Didn't really play them very much and right off the bat, they have not aged too well other than maybe the alright intro movies for both.  Probably just gonna trade these two in and see about buying Agent Under Fire this weekend to see if it's the game I wanted lol

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1106 on: April 26, 2014, 06:56:42 am »
Xenoblade is the best RPG of that gen imo

You would put Xenoblade over Ni no Kuni or Bravely Default? I havent gotten a chance to totally dive into Xenoblade but it really sounds like I need to.

Play.

Guided.

Fate.

Paradox!

No.

More.

Excuses   >:(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #1107 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:03 am »

Wait until you get to this one area where you ave to scale a giant wall. It's massive and super impressive.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1108 on: April 26, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »
Still trying to Platinum Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and complete the achievements on Evoland.  Finishing Crushing Difficulty and the "Dodgeball" respectively continue to mock me.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

karyann

« Reply #1109 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:44 am »
Thanks to Disgaeniac, I decided on buying Project Diva F when I saw it this week-end. I'm enjoying a little too much the fact that I can now understand the menus (I downloaded and tried the Japanese version on my PSP), and customizing the rooms and characters. And of course, the rhythm game. And watching the videos. I just want to play instead of doing my homework  :'(