Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515990 times)

bobster

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1350 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:46 am »
Right now I'm playing Mario Kart 8 online.  People are way better at this than me.

I feel your pain, I thought I was doing good then tried to play online. I was mistaken. I think Bobster just lets me win sometimes for a ego boost.
Nope, I legitimately fall off the track like 10 times sometimes  >:(
Currently Playing: The Witcher

argyle

« Reply #1351 on: June 26, 2014, 08:49:58 am »
I think I'm gonna focus on the main storyline of Fallout 3 this weekend & try to wrap that up.  Move on for now.  That game is *bleak*, and that's compared to New Vegas.  I played NV first, and IMO it's the better game - I enjoyed the setting more and I loved the quest lines you got for your companions.  Fallout 3 isn't bad, but it just feels empty in comparison.  I know, it's the wasteland.  :P  But there seem to be settlements & people all over the place in NV, but it just doesn't feel like that in F3. 

I wanna play some more Drakengard 3 anyway.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

« Reply #1352 on: June 26, 2014, 09:13:21 am »
I think I'm gonna focus on the main storyline of Fallout 3 this weekend & try to wrap that up.  Move on for now.  That game is *bleak*, and that's compared to New Vegas.  I played NV first, and IMO it's the better game - I enjoyed the setting more and I loved the quest lines you got for your companions.  Fallout 3 isn't bad, but it just feels empty in comparison.  I know, it's the wasteland.  :P  But there seem to be settlements & people all over the place in NV, but it just doesn't feel like that in F3. 

Fallout 3 I thought was pretty good. The bleakness you mention might have played well in my mind. The first 2 Fallout games had a lot of empty space and feelings of being alone. But now that you mention it, it does't really feel like there are pockets of settlements in the 3rd one. I have yet to play New Vegas, but you might inspire me!

blipcs76

« Reply #1353 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:10 am »
Right now I'm playing Mario Kart 8 online.  People are way better at this than me.

I feel your pain, I thought I was doing good then tried to play online. I was mistaken. I think Bobster just lets me win sometimes for a ego boost.
Nope, I legitimately fall off the track like 10 times sometimes  >:(

Yeah, it's crazy how good people are online already.  If you don't stay at the front of the pack in the first half of the first lap, you'll never catch up to the leaders and you'll be stuck duking it out with people for 6-12 position.  The items seem to be much more reserved in 8; I've probably done at least 50 online races so far and I've maybe gotten a blue shell to throw once or twice.  I've gotten the bullet maybe 3 times.  I don't think I've ever gotten the lightning bolt.  All I ever seem to get are shells and mushrooms.

If you're in the lead, you're better off than the person in 2nd.  If you're in 2nd, all you get for items is green shells and banana peels.  The people in 3rd-6th get plenty of red shells to hammer you with though, so being in second place kinda sucks.

blipcs76

« Reply #1354 on: June 26, 2014, 10:52:31 am »

Fallout 3 I thought was pretty good. The bleakness you mention might have played well in my mind. The first 2 Fallout games had a lot of empty space and feelings of being alone. But now that you mention it, it does't really feel like there are pockets of settlements in the 3rd one. I have yet to play New Vegas, but you might inspire me!

I think Fallout 3 had a pretty decent number of little settlements.  Oasis, The Republic of Dave, Rivet City, Little Lamplight, Paradise Falls, Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, Big Town, etc.  And Andale <shudders>.  It also seems there are more random locations to wander into and explore that are completely optional and usually only have a unique item or bobblehead, like some of the factories, the other vaults, the deathclaw sanctuary and the horrible, horrible Dunwich building.  I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

bobster

« Reply #1355 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:14 am »

I think Fallout 3 had a pretty decent number of little settlements.  Oasis, The Republic of Dave, Rivet City, Little Lamplight, Paradise Falls, Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, Big Town, etc.  And Andale <shudders>.  It also seems there are more random locations to wander into and explore that are completely optional and usually only have a unique item or bobblehead, like some of the factories, the other vaults, the deathclaw sanctuary and the horrible, horrible Dunwich building.  I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.
I think I need to play this again! I apparently don't remember too much of the game lol.

On your other post, it really does suck to be 2nd place in that game.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1356 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:11 am »
Taking a break from FFX-2 to give Child of Light a try today...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #1357 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
Let me know how it is! It looks very pretty. I hear good things.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1358 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:34 am »
Let me know how it is! It looks very pretty. I hear good things.

I'll give it a few hours & post some thoughts/impressions on it later - iirc, some others here were interested & curious about it, too :)

argyle

« Reply #1359 on: July 03, 2014, 10:59:04 am »
Always up for RPG impressions.  ;D

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1360 on: July 03, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »
Okay - So some 1st & very early thoughts & impressions for:

The Child of Light

(Playing it on the PS3)...

+ Visually gorgeous; just beautiful

+ I'm liking the music that I've heard, so far

and, (so far) the only (but pretty damned BIG) elephant in the room; aka

- I'm not liking that the whole telling of the story is done in simple & rhyming verses (think Jack & Jill/Mother Hubbard/Dr. Seuss/Fairy Tale) styles & cadences of rhyming; wtf  :o

Not only could *I* have come up with some better-structured verses -but- limiting themselves in this way seems to make the telling of & the progression of the story...clunky & awkward.

By no means a game/deal breaker -but- an annoyance for sure.

bobster

« Reply #1361 on: July 03, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »
Were you aware of the rhyming before you got into the game? I'd already heard they did that, and that the main character pretty much can't do it so it makes it kind of cute. Either way, thanks for the impressions!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1362 on: July 03, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »
Were you aware of the rhyming before you got into the game? I'd already heard they did that, and that the main character pretty much can't do it so it makes it kind of cute. Either way, thanks for the impressions!

Yeah, I did actually know about it which is why I'm only scoring it as an annoyance & a "limitation" rather than any kind of deal/game-breaker :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1363 on: July 03, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »
I'm still playing Cave Story. It just went from "a little too easy" to "Where the F do I go now?"

abe

« Reply #1364 on: July 03, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »
I'm still playing Cave Story. It just went from "a little too easy" to "Where the F do I go now?"

Which version of Cave Story are you playing?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)