Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514969 times)

pacpix

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1755 on: December 07, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
Just beat Super Mario 2 (Japanese version) and beat worlds 9-1 though 9-4

You accomplished something.  That game is crazy hard.  I get mad and quit every time I think I found a warp zone and it takes me backwards.   >:(
The game does not even let you go to world 9 if you use warps anyways ha.  Overall I enjoyed the game, but I will take Super Mario 2 USA any day over the Japan version.  I thought it was nice that they included 5 bonus worlds though.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1756 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:55 pm »
As many of you know, I'm like the world's #1 King's Field fan. I've played through those games as many times as other people have played through The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros.

As such, I picked up Eternal Ring, also by From Software. For whatever reason, I thought I had played it before and that it was an entirely different game. I was bored the other night, and decided to give it another shot. Well whatever I thought I had played, I was wrong.

This is awesome! It's like King's Field III, but with even more magic! I'm loving it! I'm not too far into it, yet. But if you're a King's Field fan, you should REALLY enjoy this. It's another first-person view action-RPG where there's an emphasis on exploration and collecting tons of these different magical rings. This is a PS2 launch title, though, so don't expect a whole lot from the graphics. Check it out.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1757 on: December 10, 2014, 12:27:56 pm »
I've wondered how that Eternal Ring game was...

Have you also played Shadow Tower, Burningdoom?

I haven't tried my copy yet, but - I seem to remember hearing that it was very similar to the King's Field games.

Also, how is KF: The Ancient City on the PS2, what's its story about, and how (and how much) are the different games in the series 'connected' to each other?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1758 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »
I've wondered how that Eternal Ring game was...

Have you also played Shadow Tower, Burningdoom?

I haven't tried my copy yet, but - I seem to remember hearing that it was very similar to the King's Field games.

Also, how is KF: The Ancient City on the PS2, what's its story about, and how (and how much) are the different games in the series 'connected' to each other?

Shadow Tower is prohibitively hard. I've tried multiple times to get into that game, and can't get much further beyond the beginning area, each time. And I'm a King's Field veteran. Those games aren't exactly a walk in the park, either. Unless you're just hardcore, I'd stay away from Shadow Tower. I've heard that Shadow Tower: Abyss on PS2 is better, and easier. But it was only released in Japan.

In the King's Field series, the first game (Japan only) and the 2 releases on PS1 in the U.S. are all loosely related. But you can easily play them on their own without knowing a thing from the other games. The Ancient City is a standalone game. And it's a fantastic addition to the series. I've played through it a few times. Obviously it's gonna have upgraded graphics, being on PS2. And it's a larger game. But it has that same sense of exploration, loneliness, and desolation.

Eternal Ring, so far, seems like the easiest game of all the From Software RPGs (so far at least), that I've played. So if you haven't played any of them, that might be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:38:22 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1759 on: December 10, 2014, 08:41:20 pm »
I forgot to mention: Expect some pretty terrible voice-acting, like House of the Dead terrible, in Eternal Ring. That always gives a game a little more incentive to play.

scott

« Reply #1760 on: December 11, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
I forgot to mention: Expect some pretty terrible voice-acting, like House of the Dead terrible, in Eternal Ring. That always gives a game a little more incentive to play.

Added Eternal Ring to my PS2 wish list now, thanks. I've seen it in the wild a bunch and usually pretty cheap too. Might see if I can snag it this weekend ha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

devancowan

« Reply #1761 on: December 12, 2014, 06:49:25 pm »
Just finished up Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and now I'm heading back to finish up Fantasy Life. This Christmas break from school is going to be amazing. So many games I hope to finish. My back log is getting crazy

pacpix

« Reply #1762 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:55 pm »
I keep meaning to purchase a King's Field game.  Looks like a really cool series
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #1763 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:54 pm »
Just got my first dos game to work with dosbox so I loaded up cybermage which is pretty much a doom clone, but hey can't go wrong with that :)

« Reply #1764 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:58 am »
King of Fighters '98 Ultra Super Mega Alpha Beta Omega Fancy Spiffy Final Edition...On PC.  I had never played the KOF series till recently with KOF13, and I while I liked the game, I wasn't sure how good this re-release would be, just because the old fighters don't always age well to me.  Like going back to SNES Super Street Fighter 2? I think that's a rough one lol

While I can't say if the port is 100%, I think it might have some of the common netcode issues, but I played a good hour with a friend who has crap internet and it played pretty great.  Everything runs smooth, looks crisp, and the options are just right.  You know what I can't do with KOF13? Get the resolution to be perfect.  Know what I can do with KOF98, a technically 16 year old game? Have auto resolution so it looks perfect lol

Totally worth it for the 15 bucks I'd say.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1765 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:32 am »
Played Cyborg Justice and The Lost Vikings on the Genesis with my brother.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1766 on: December 17, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »
As many of you know, I'm like the world's #1 King's Field fan. I've played through those games as many times as other people have played through The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros.

As such, I picked up Eternal Ring, also by From Software. For whatever reason, I thought I had played it before and that it was an entirely different game. I was bored the other night, and decided to give it another shot. Well whatever I thought I had played, I was wrong.

This is awesome! It's like King's Field III, but with even more magic! I'm loving it! I'm not too far into it, yet. But if you're a King's Field fan, you should REALLY enjoy this. It's another first-person view action-RPG where there's an emphasis on exploration and collecting tons of these different magical rings. This is a PS2 launch title, though, so don't expect a whole lot from the graphics. Check it out.

Okay, I've gotten more into this, and I take it back. It's still worth a play if you're into the King's Field series, however the KF games are still better, IMO. It feels like it was rushed out. The ring-making system is far from fully-realized (which is how you use magic). The world is less exploration-driven. And the graphics are missing that final coat of polish, it almost looks like it may have originally been planned as a PS1 release.

devancowan

« Reply #1767 on: December 19, 2014, 09:17:59 am »
Just about to start Persona 4 Golden. I feel like I'm a little late on this title lol  :)

davifus

« Reply #1768 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:11 am »

You're never too late
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #1769 on: December 19, 2014, 10:47:04 am »
I really need to play the Persona games. I'm a big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series. I feel like I'd need to start at 1 though.

Too many RPGs to play!
Currently Playing: The Witcher