Author Topic: TPX VGCOLLECT R&D LIST  (Read 14648 times)

tripredacus

Re: TPX VGCOLLECT R&D LIST
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 12:02:27 pm »
US Genesis Consoles now updated, there are 71 entries in the DB.

Left out is the lone 1601 non-TMSS Made in China console which I might add as a loose console only because it is not currently known where this console comes from. There was only one on US Ebay of this that I could find with no correlation of any other types of Altered Beast boxes. I will hold off on it for now because it may be something I can ID as being from a different country.

Up next are:
- update Gen NFR cart descriptions to match to packs
- add Value Pack/Pak label vars, newly discovered yellow sega label carts, including the SG ProPad 6.
- update the spreadsheet for Canadian releases
- then other countries

Also considering adding a "bounty board" type thread or so to assign things that need to be done on the db. That way if people want to help out the db but do not know where to start, they have a way to help. But this would have to be something only serious users would be allowed to do. We have far too many "I'm going to do this!" people who never do anything. Like the guy who said they would figure out the Lynx EU games (these are currently likely all dupes), or the V.Smile thing (jjfly disappeared shortly after creating all the EU entries), and there was another one that I recall but I forget what section it was supposed to be for (absolutely nothing was done other than the public announcement it would be done).

tripredacus

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:49 am »
Should put an update. I am still working on the Sega Gen/MD thread in the ID forum. Currently working on Sega Mega CD [EU] and going through each country to find bits of information that are handy to have. This usually means I make a skeleton post and then have to find examples from existing entries in the DB to refer to. And if those entries do not exist, then I have to search online to find them. Interesting thing is that even though I had previously figured those sections to be complete, there is still more that isn't yet documented.

I wil be working on finishing the Gen/MD thread, then will make the ID threads for the Saturn, Game Gear, Master System and Sega Computers category, before creating the skeleton post for PS2, of which I will focus on the Hardware category only.

tripredacus

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2021, 12:12:49 pm »
Taking a break from the Gen/MD Hardware post in the Adv Guide because I think there is a better way of handling consoles on the DB while still being able to document all of the retail releases. Simply put, all of the retail releases (especially in Europe) make the Hardware section confusing or difficult to use for people without console boxes. My attempt to solve that issue by using the Adv Guide to link consoles to packs was a good idea (I think) at first, but it becomes an issue in regards to the consoles that are known to exist but cannot be connected to packs. Thoughts about this have been pushed along and if all goes well, I'll end up making a poll about it to see if the community would be interested in trying something else out.

I went through the Atari Lynx EU section and updated the entries that I could confirm got European imports and deleted/merged the ones that could not be confirmed. For that section going forward, only items with confirmed EU releases should be put into there. I know that there are lists on Lynx collector sites that list all of the games released in EU, but we should not add them unless something EU specific is present, something to differentiate them from US releases.

For the most part it there are only 3 differences I have found:
- some sold in blister packs in France
- has printed text of ATARI-FRANCE either on the top of the box, or on a label
- has printed text listing 6 of the European importers on the bottom of the box

If a Lynx EU game is to be added, the pictures should show either a label being present or the item in the blister pack. If an item is confirmed to exist like this but an image cannot be used (such as the case with text on the top of the box) or there is some insert that is unique to a EU release (so far I have seen that the manuals, carts, posters and the white text flyer is identical to US version but that doesn't mean some other type of insert doesn't exist) then an entry can be made, but it will need to have the contents put into the description so that it doesn't get merged/deleted later on.

For the moment I will be focusing on updating some categories to meet the naming or image requirements of the Style Guide. These include:
- Gamecube Accessory (in progress)
- Gamecube Hardware
- Switch Accessory
- Wii U Hardware
- Game Boy Hardware

So if there is something you own in one of those cats, and the entry is lacking info, make sure to put in an edit to add the barcode or correct pictures so when we get to that entry we don't change it into something you don't have or merge it with something, etc.