Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Mattel Intellivision  (Read 1777 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Mattel Intellivision
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:17:54 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and today I'm looking at a classic, the Intellivision.

Mattel Intellivision

History:
In 1979 Mattel limited released the Intellivision (The name is short for Intelligent Television) then released the system across North America in 1980. Then released the rest of the world in 1982.

How did it do?
Extremely well, with over 3 million systems sold.

Graphics:
The first 16bit console, with graphics that step up from it's competitors, fluid animation that made many of their games stand out for it's time. 

Is this system still fun to play?
Yes, there's still a fan base for the Intellivision. The circular pad and tiny side buttons take getting used to and if your missing the overlays some of the games are a pain to play. 

What games are worth playing?
While Intellivision is known for its great Sport games in its time and while many of these games are still playable, they are not the games I love to play. My favorites where Burgertime, Diner, Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Tron Deadly Discs, Thin Ice, Thunder Castle, Worm Whomper & Bump & Jump.

How many versions are there?
Four major versions in the US, and several color and name variations overseas. The main four are the classic gold and wood-grain model, a Sears exclusive model called the Super Video Arcade. Later Mattel replaced it with the smaller Intellivision II, then the INTV system III (which was just a black and silver version of the model 1)

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
The systems for the most part are not hard to come by, the classic gold and wood-grain model is the most common. The model 1, Sears and INTV III versions of the console has hardwired controllers. Like every other console I talk about with hardwired controllers, if one has issues it makes them difficult to replace. Model 1's can be difficult to find in 100% working order, they seem to break down more then the model II. Games are fairly easy to come by and most of them are pretty cheap. But some of the last games released can be costly. There was also many expansions for the Intellivision, The Intellivoice, Computer and keyboard, and even an Atari 2600 converter.

My Experience with the Console
I had an Intellivision back in the late 80's, I believe it was the first console I bought from a garage sale. The cords on this system are short so expect to have the system close to you. For some reason I can't get this system to run right on my 1080p TV, the screen flips bad. But it works fine on a 720p. I was never a fan of the circular pad controller with its tiny side buttons on the side and I always found the sound annoying on many games. Later I got the Intellivision II, it's smaller and has an external power supply. The model II is a more reliable console then the model I, but for some reason there's a few games that will not play on the model II, This to wont work on a 1080p TV ether (at least not on mine) Also the model II will not work with the Intellivoice.
While I'm more of an Atari fan, the Intellivision does have some games I prefer playing on it.

Final Thoughts
The intellivision is a great classic console to have in your collection, If you can find a working one at a good price I highly recommend picking it up and giving it a try.

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out. Sorry there was no review last week, but it was fathers day and I was busy spending a day with my Dad.

Leave reply's on your experience with the Intellivision. I would love to hear them.  :D

By the Numbers: 103 own model I, 40 have a Model II, 11 own a Model III and 14 own the Sears SVA.

Past Reviews:
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Interton VC 4000
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:37:43 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: My 8-Bits: Mattel Intellivision
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:18:32 pm »
Cool write-up, as always! Thanks.

As a collector that may not have the fortune and funds you have available, what would make me want to buy this over a Colecovision (and keeping in my mind I already have an Atari 2600)? Are there are any "must-have" exclusives for the Intellivision that makes it an essential purchase over a Colecovision?

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »

As a collector that may not have the fortune and funds you have available, what would make me want to buy this over a Colecovision (and keeping in my mind I already have an Atari 2600)? Are there are any "must-have" exclusives for the Intellivision that makes it an essential purchase over a Colecovision?
Yeah I am curious as well.  The Intellivision has never really interested me, but maybe I am missing something.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

theflea

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »
The exclusive titles that are worth playing are...

- Astrosmash (while the game was released on Atari 2600 as Astroblast, the INTV version is a lot better)
- Diner (this was the sequel to Burgertime that was never released on any other console)
- Night Stalker (They kinda released this on Atari calling it Dark Caverns, but the INTV is a lot better)
- Thin Ice (play as a penguin cutting holes in the ice sinking bad guys)
- Thunder Castle (your a knight collecting treasure in a constantly changing map trying to avoid (or kill) the mystical monsters)
- Worm Whomper (a shooter you play as a farmer shooting bugs protecting his crops)

These are the games I've played that are still fun to play today and not released on Colecovision.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:41:39 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:44:41 pm »
Thunder Castle looks really awesome!

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »

They're both very different beasts. The ColecoVision is known for it's fantastic conversions of popular arcade games of the time. The Intellivision was better known for it's more ambitious and sometimes even experimental lineup of original tittles that were generally more complex than most of what was available for both the ColecoVision and the 2600. The Intellivsion has early examples of strategy, simulation, RPG and dungeon crawlers as well as some very good arcade conversions as well.

The Advanced Dungeons and Dragon games are fantastic and are still a blast to play.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:34:08 am by thecrypticodor »

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
Hmm it appears I wrongly counted out the Intellivision to early.  These games look very interesting especially the RPGs.