Author Topic: What do you do for living?  (Read 7812 times)

Re: What do you do for living?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »
I am still in high school at the moment, but I have been working at the family business doing different manual labor jobs since I was 10ish like sorting hangers and stringing laundry bags.  Last year I started working a lot more since I could drive and somehow ended up in the office one day where I am now building spreadsheets/binders for all of the delivery routes.
I'm in my junior year. 2015 is coming...
Same.  We are almost ready to go into the exciting world of working and paying a lot of bills!
That bad ass that your the same class as mine.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

90snostalga

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »
Hmm, im the only one getting his hands dirty  :o

Not technically.  Turf did mention that he was an underwear model so I'm pretty sure he gets his hands dirty  ;D

karyann

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »
I'm a web developer at 3 canadian national museums (more like webmaster-ish (maintenance and such), but we will be doing more development soon). Nothing too special, but it pays well and it's sometimes fun. Definitely better than working for a web company.

Haha, I feel you. I was an intern in web development last summer and man, that sucked. The company was awful though, so I can't blame the job itself.

I'm still a student in college, but I'm supposed to get my diploma in December this year. I study computer science, and while I don't know exactly what I'd like to do afterwards, I'm 110% certain that I don't wanna manage networks or be the IT (read "do-it-all-person-when-shit-breaks") of any company. :P I do know that in programming, I have always preferred projects about making video games over anything else. I kinda like making web sites too, but I suck at designing them. Or at least, I don't really like designs I make myself.

jcalder8

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »
I work in retail.

scott

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
Primary sales man and kinda like an assistant manager of my family's business.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »
i dont have a job because i have really bad social anxiety

90snostalga

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:28 pm »
I am still in high school at the moment, but I have been working at the family business doing different manual labor jobs since I was 10ish like sorting hangers and stringing laundry bags.  Last year I started working a lot more since I could drive and somehow ended up in the office one day where I am now building spreadsheets/binders for all of the delivery routes.
I'm in my junior year. 2015 is coming...
Same.  We are almost ready to go into the exciting world of working and paying a lot of bills!

You guys make me feel so old!

jobocan

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:20 am »
I'm a web developer at 3 canadian national museums (more like webmaster-ish (maintenance and such), but we will be doing more development soon). Nothing too special, but it pays well and it's sometimes fun. Definitely better than working for a web company.

Haha, I feel you. I was an intern in web development last summer and man, that sucked. The company was awful though, so I can't blame the job itself.

My experience with working at actual web companies (I worked for 3 different ones) has been consistently terrible. If you want to work in web, my suggestion is to either work as a webmaster/developer for a non-web company, or work for the government. Maybe take some contracts independently in addition to that if you can manage that.

karyann

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49:32 am »

My experience with working at actual web companies (I worked for 3 different ones) has been consistently terrible. If you want to work in web, my suggestion is to either work as a webmaster/developer for a non-web company, or work for the government. Maybe take some contracts independently in addition to that if you can manage that.

I've been considering this for a while, it's good to know that someone else thinks it might be a good idea! I can't wait to graduate and finally do something. :)

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »
I am a high school engineering teacher.

Incidentally, Matt, i may have to pick your brain.  I've been tasked by our Autos teacher to develop a web application to do work orders and technician tasks and such...

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:53 am »
Senior architectural design engineer.
i design building envelopes for large commercial buildings. - the metal panels and curtainwall (glazing) mainly.

some jobs i worked on (if anyone wanted to know)

currently working on this

and
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:30:38 pm by stethebubble »

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »
Right now, Im a stay at home dad ... but with my kids both going to be in full time school starting next summer, I plan to dabble in the world of pest control. Before I stayed at home, I was an animal control officer for about 5 years as well as a vet tech for a few more years. While doing the vet tech stuff, I also helped train birds and raised reptiles. At one time, I had 19 different turtle enclosures in my apartment. I would love to get a herpetology degree but there is nothing like that locally.

i was a stay at home dad for 6 months. only so much tellytubbies you can watch (that amount is none)

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
Primary sales man and kinda like an assistant manager of my family's business.

what is the family business

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 05:05:08 pm »
I'm an underwear model.

Taking half naked selfies and sending them to random people doesnt quite qualify as an underwear model.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH funny funny funny stuff  ;)  You two I swear, should do a video game review video series together or something.  Your personalities clash just right for very entertaining comedy.

agreed

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:39 pm »
Senior architectural design engineer.
i design building envelopes for large commercial buildings. - the metal panels and curtainwall (glazing) mainly.

That is actually pretty nice!!! :D
I am currently working on an application to navigate interiors using Oculus Rift. Would you be interested in it?

Thanks!
Juan M. - Naicigam