Author Topic: My 8-Bits: MB Microvision  (Read 1303 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: MB Microvision
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:12 am »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles and this time I'm looking at the first handheld gaming console with interchangeable carts.

MB Microvision

History:
In 1979 Milton Bradley strayed from board games and made it's first and only game console. This was the first handheld game console that has changeable cartridges.

How did it do?
Did well at first but due to lack of new game releases the system was discontinued by 1981.

Graphics:
A vary simple LCD block graphics, very limited.

Is this system still fun to play?
Not really, the graphics are simplistic and blocky that most games are slow and dull.

What games are worth playing?
The only game I enjoyed was Blockout, which is just a Breakout clone. Only 11 games where made for this console and most of the games are terrible to play today.

How many versions are there?
Just one, overseas cart faces can come in different colors.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Well good luck finding a working model, these systems have so much that can break down. Most get screen rot and wont work at all, the cart pins can have issues and a chip in the console deteriorate easy. This console is pretty rare to begin with let alone finding a working one. The carts are the faceplate of the system, the buttons on the cart faces can break down too, many of the games I've tried I feel I gotta push hard on the buttons to get them to respond. If you find one in the wild check the battery compartment, if there's an old dead battery in it, it could have corroded and destroyed the console. If your paying a decent price for one be sure to test it if you can, there's way to much that can be wrong with this system.

My Experience with the Console
I bought a lot that had all but one game all complete in boxes from a collector, It was tested and worked great. I only played this system when I first got it but because this console can break so easy I'm always afraid that use will damage it. I find the carts are finicky, from hard to read to buttons being hard to get to work. I can see why this was Milton Bradley's only game console.

Final Thoughts
This is a collector's only item, not something you want to hunt down and play games on. It's more of a show piece to show people the first handheld gaming console.

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out.
Sorry I've been slacking last couple weekends, been busy with other things in my life. I'll do one when ever I have free time on the weekend.  ;)

Leave reply's on your experience with the Microvision. I would love to hear them.  :D

By the Numbers: At the time of this article 14 people have a Microvision in their collection. (wonder how many are in perfect working order.) :P

Past Reviews:
Atari 400/800
Mattel Intellivision
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Interton VC 4000
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: My 8-Bits: MB Microvision
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:58:52 am »
I have two Microvisions. One is in perfect condition, the other one has some missing pixels on the screen.

abe

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:25:21 am »
I've never heard of this one before, seems pretty cool. Although, finding a good working one sounds like a nightmare.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:10 am »
European versions have 'only' 8 games. And no. 8 is the hardest to find.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:43 am »
I have one. The controls didn't respond at all. So I took it apart to see if there was anything I could do, damn that was some foreign tech to me, lol. Some weird pads with copper, paper-thin contact things. Strange stuff. Needless to say, I couldn't fix it. In fact, when I put it back together, I could no longer get anything to appear on the screen.  :(

I still have the original box and packaging and everything with it, though. I only owned one game for it, Block Buster. I would have loved to try the Star Trek one, if the eBay guy didn't send me a faulty MicroVision. >:(

topspot123

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »
Wonderful post.  The Microvision is one of those systems that I would love to have, but I never expect to find in decent shape.  Thanks for sharing!