Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1597780 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1920 on: March 21, 2014, 10:35:22 am »
Ah okay.  I was going through the "browse" for pc games and was adding multi games to wish list like Boarderlands, Mass Effect, etc. but maybe I'll have to be weary of that.

Would you say its at least true for older pc games like in the 90s?  I know Doom is better on pc and wolfenstein for the DOS

It really depends on the game to me.  Borderlands, the original, is worse on PC.  Mass Effect I had no issues with for 2 and 3. Some tend to be better, some tend to be worst.  You could probably just ask around for a game to see if it's better or not ^^

foxhack

« Reply #1921 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:45 am »
And crackheads around the country rejoiced at Walmart accepting used games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1922 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:35 am »
And crackheads around the country rejoiced at Walmart accepting used games.

I doubt that they'll care very much about getting Walmart store credit for their (or more likely other people's used games:) ==> *UNLESS* their dealer is:

a). very flexible -n- easy to work with and/or

b). a big Walmart shopper   8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #1923 on: March 21, 2014, 02:21:28 pm »
Ah okay.  I was going through the "browse" for pc games and was adding multi games to wish list like Boarderlands, Mass Effect, etc. but maybe I'll have to be weary of that.

Would you say its at least true for older pc games like in the 90s?  I know Doom is better on pc and wolfenstein for the DOS

It really depends on the game to me.  Borderlands, the original, is worse on PC.  Mass Effect I had no issues with for 2 and 3. Some tend to be better, some tend to be worst.  You could probably just ask around for a game to see if it's better or not ^^

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is much better looking on PC. But it NEEDS a controller to play with.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1924 on: March 22, 2014, 01:54:22 am »
So now Walmart is buying & selling used games , too?

Yep. GameStop better be very damn careful. Walmart will squash them. The biggest thing Walmart has going for them is you can go there for anything. "I need to go grab some bread and lightbulbs. I might as well cruise the game section." 
GameStop's stocks went down after the news broke out.

I guess I'll do my groceries and some video game shopping at the same time.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

Warmsignal

« Reply #1925 on: March 22, 2014, 01:32:25 pm »
The Walmart thing is interesting, but I'd be willing to bet very short lived. It's already obvious most trades will go to Walmart.com and not the stores. My Walmart stores do not have the room to sell used games, not on the scale of GS. In addition, there are many, many titles that are not popular enough for them to have even sold new, much less used. Pretty much the only games you'll see used in store is Call of Duty, Mario, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, etc. Maybe a couple of dozen at best.

The only thing I love about this, is the fact that a trade-in REQUIRES original packaging. If stores like GS or Best Buy did this, people would stop throwing away game cases.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1926 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:03 pm »
GameGavel.com, the actual people on that run the site, suck.

I bought a copy of Retro Magazine #1 (which BTW doesn't hold a candle to the U.K. Retro Magazine) from them well over a month ago. After about 3 weeks of not receiving it, I wrote them informing them. I then find out they never sent it out and they'd send it out that Monday! I mention: "I'm getting my shipping refunded for that one, right?" Never received a reply.

Another week and a half goes by, and I still don't have it. So I write them again, I get the same exact response back again, this time with a promise of getting my shipping refunded to me. Which means they never sent out the magazine the 2nd time, either.

Well I finally received my magazine in the mail the other day. I shoot them another email informing them I never received that promised shipping refund. And I haven't heard anything back.

Don't buy anything from the GameGavel.com Official Store, unless you enjoy getting ignored after giving them your money.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:56:22 pm by burningdoom »

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1927 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:06 pm »
They've been super prompt with the Kickstarter folks, I'm surprised that level of care hasn't carried over to everyone else. It's a bit concerning, to say the least. I've had a number of problems with the guys at Video Game Trader magazine. They shorted me two issues; I complained and they said my account didn't carry over to their "new system." They then canceled my subscription and told me I should re-subscribe (at a higher rate, of course) and they would tack on two extra issues to my subscription. I sent them another message with some additional questions and never heard back from anyone. Never mind some of the questionable practices when they piece together the art for the covers; my media law class used their TRON issue as an example of how to get sued (they lifted an image from a Playboy body paint photo shoot and put it on the front cover then claimed that the "digital processing" they used on the image made it different enough to claim fair use and derivative work).  ::)

foxhack

« Reply #1928 on: March 22, 2014, 03:27:16 pm »
I got my SNES copier to boot! But since I'm using a knockoff SNES power supply for the system, it's not getting enough power, so it freaks out and dies when I try to do anything like load a game from the disc drive. Boo.

I've gotta find a power supply for the SNES somewhere.

Edit:
It works as a SNES cart passthrough too! I just played a SNES Kunio game that I was supposed to send to an old pal of mine years ago. Oops. D:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:45:41 pm by foxhack »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1929 on: March 22, 2014, 09:04:58 pm »
This is my favorite weekend of the year. I've watched more basketball in the past 3 days than should be legal. I may OD on basketball.

argyle

« Reply #1930 on: March 23, 2014, 01:31:44 am »
The only thing I love about this, is the fact that a trade-in REQUIRES original packaging. If stores like GS or Best Buy did this, people would stop throwing away game cases.

Apparently BB has just started requiring them.  I've been trading in my games disk-only to BB because most of them I plan on picking back up when they get cheap, and if I end up buying used odds are I'll either find a disk-only copy or a copy with a damaged insert/manual - so since they didn't care, I just kept them.  Went to trade something the other day, and the guy that's been handling my trades told me that their GM just came in and told them they now have to have them.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

anruiukimi

« Reply #1931 on: March 23, 2014, 02:58:01 am »
Do any of y'all have to box up video boxes when you are out of room? My poor handhelds are subject to this, sadly... (as well as random video game bits...I don't even own the games for the two boxes on the right side of the first picture, and I kicked out two aftermarket PS1/2 controllers and an aftermarket GC controller to fit more boxes in this.)

Current status of the boxes:

I long for a day where I can shelve them with the rest. ;_;

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1932 on: March 23, 2014, 10:06:59 am »
MAN!

That shit is catchy?!

(Was driving around w/ the girl & that Crazytown song "Butterfly" came on:) - haven't heard it in ages -but- *Again* SO Catchy!

@anruiukimi -

Pfft!

My "display" is on my walls, on my mirrors & blinds, on my desks & dressers, several closet shelves, + 2 dresser's worth of drawers  :o

@ANY G-N-R FANS -

Thoughts/Opinions on Chinese Democracy?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #1933 on: March 23, 2014, 11:08:57 am »

Apparently BB has just started requiring them.  I've been trading in my games disk-only to BB because most of them I plan on picking back up when they get cheap, and if I end up buying used odds are I'll either find a disk-only copy or a copy with a damaged insert/manual - so since they didn't care, I just kept them.  Went to trade something the other day, and the guy that's been handling my trades told me that their GM just came in and told them they now have to have them.

... but most games these days don't have printed manuals anymore.

argyle

« Reply #1934 on: March 23, 2014, 11:30:17 am »

... but most games these days don't have printed manuals anymore.

...ok?   ???  If it wasn't there to begin with, then I don't care that it's "missing".   :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis