Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Atari 400/800  (Read 945 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Atari 400/800
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and today I will be entering the first of the Game Console Computers, The Atari 400/800.

Atari 400/800

History:
In 1979 Atari entered the home PC market with its Atari 400 and 800 series. An 8-Bit computer that was also a game console.

How did it do?
Extremely well, over 2 million systems sold over in the twelve plus years it was out. It changed a lot during those twelve years. The system was finally discontinued in 1992. It was marketed as a Computer that also played games, so kids wanted one to play games and adults saw it as a computer and not just a "toy".

Graphics:
This is where the Atari 5200 was born. The games are exactly the same as on the 5200 that was released much later. 

Is this system still fun to play?
Yes, many of the classics can be found on this console.

What games are worth playing?
Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. (which was never released on 5200) Frogger, Galaxian, Jungle Hunt, Centipede, Millipede, Miner 2049er, Pengo, Pitfall 2, Qix, Robotron 2084, River Raid, Megamania, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Asteroids just to name a few. Ya all of these can be found on Atari 2600 but they look and play so much better on the 400/800. I wish I could recommend disc and Tape games but I have issues getting these to work.

How many versions are there?
there's been several models with upgrades over the years. 400, 800, 1200XL, 600XL, 800XL, 65XE, 130XE and one other but it's another console all together so I'll talk about that one another day. :P

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Now I'm not going over how these are as computers, how they are to program and their computing power, I'm looking at these as a gaming console. These computer consoles hold up pretty well over time for the most part. Not as a Computer, but as a gaming console. The one thing I learned is the door on the 400/800 consoles, the games will not play with the door open. So if the latch that holds the door closed is worn or broken it wont play any cartridges, later consoles removed the door. You can hook up a tape deck or disc drive, but these don't age well, discs warp easy and most are not used in decades and might have issues playing. You can even play copied tapes/discs. I personally avoid discs and tapes and only pick them up if dirt cheap. You'll also need to learn the commands to run these games. The Joystick is a standard Atari 2600 so any one you find will work. The keyboard on the 400 is a touch pad style, sometime these keys become hard to press as it ages making you press a button over and over til it responds. The 800 has the better keyboard and more memory but is a monster in size and weight. Atari 400/800 consoles you can find cheap, if you find one. Some Ebay auctions ask stupid prices but trust me, these pop up at gaming stores, flea markets and other game selling events for under $40. Most games are dirt cheap, but like most consoles there are a few that are rare and will cost you higher dollars.

My Experience with the Console
The first memory of this console is when I was really young I built an Atari 2600 & 400 out of nothing but paper and took it to school. I didn't end up getting a 400 til much late in life. I always avoided it thinking is was a computer and not a gaming console. But it is a console, you can hook the 400 & 800 models to any TV, they work great on my 1080p HDTV. I don't have the 1200XL, 600XL, 800XL, 65XE or 130XE models so I don't know how they compare. I picked up an 800 just last year from a game convention for $15 and it came with a ton of extras. It's always funny getting a bunch of home office software with programing books and accessories, I honestly never know what to do with most of it and box it up. I just like using it as a gaming console. There's many exclusive games for this system, Some good other bad. I tried the E.T. for the 400/800 and it's nothing like the 2600 version, in fact IT'S WORSE! I personally just got so frustrated and said I'm not playing this. lol 

Final Thoughts
If your looking for an alternative to the Atari 5200, this is not a bad way to go. 90% of the games released on the 5200 are on this system, plus several never released on the 5200 and you don't have to deal with those crappy joysticks. And if you want to really get nerdy, try and use it as a computer. I have a modem for my 800, wonder if I can get online and get on Vgcollect. lol

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out.

Leave reply's on your experience with the Atari 400/800 or other Atari computers. I would love to hear them.  :D

By the Numbers: At the time of this article, 18 own a 400, 10 own an 800, 1 owns a 1200XL, 3 own a 600XL, 18 own an 800XL, 2 own the 65XE and 3 own the 130XE.

Past Reviews:
Mattel Intellivision
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Interton VC 4000
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
"Happy game hunting!!!"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: My 8-Bits: Atari 400/800
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:19:46 am »
I've never even seen one of these in real-life.

I never got into the old-school computers too much outside of Commodore 64, and even with that it was a select few games that I played a lot (Swiss Family Robinson, Lode Runner, Jumpman, B.C.'s Quest For Tires, Dig Dug (cartridge), and Blue Max).

We did have Apple IIs in our computer lab in the library in grade school, of various models (original II, IIGS, IIC+, etc.). Mostly played Oregon Trail, Reading Rabbit, Math Blaster, and Artillery on those.