Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1541940 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #720 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
It's just a reflection of the cost of developing a game for current consoles* - it's not really a choice to put these games exclusively on handhelds, it's a case of handheld RPG or no RPG.

*Of the standard general gamers expect - produce an RPG that looks like Project X Zone for PS3/360 and watch it get ripped apart in the reviews.

PS: Project X Zone is a huge disappointment. It starts of just fine and then becomes massively tedious, throwing endless easy enemies at you just to make maps take longer :/

That's disappointing about X-Zone, glad I only pre-ordered 1 copy.

I get the price difference for developing -but- I'm confused that games like Venetica, Cross Edge, Atelier games, White Knight Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, etc (new or little-known/small-selling IP's) DO  get console releases while the Fire Emblems & SMT games DON'T  :-\

Seems to me that they're making the ones that have established fan bases & are likely to sell better on handhelds, while putting the riskier ones on consoles - when it's more expensive developing *for* the consoles; wtf?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »
I can't speak for all those RPGs you listed but...

Cross Edge - cheaply produced compared to other "proper" console RPGs, made for and catered to its niche
White Knight Chronicles - widely considered a critical and commercial flop
Ni No Kuni - had heavy involvement from probably the biggest animation studio Japan will ever have

Obviously some developers still feel it's not a total waste of time, but in the main you'll see a better return for less effort on a handheld.

scott

« Reply #722 on: May 27, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »
Personally, I'm really happy that a lot of RPGs are coming out on handhelds. I've been a handheld gamer for a long time and I'm a big RPGer. So it's awesome to have some big name RPG games coming to the 3DS.

Kinda wish they would have released the DS version of Ni no Kuni in the States. But, considering the PS3 version is the same game, with more content/ story I can see why they didn't.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #723 on: May 27, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
The story's the same but the battle system's very different and they have different NG+ extras. Having to use a real Magic Master is also a really nice touch IMO :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #724 on: May 30, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »
Venting post:

So I have a cousin that hasn't worked a day in his life. He sucks off of disability, even though he is perfectly capable of holding down a job. He goes on trips ALL THE FREAKING TIME! He's always going to wrestling shows, at least once month, owns all the legit belts, orders like every PPV, etc.

Today on Facebook he posts about today being the day from hell because he's so busy getting ready for his 6 Flags trip.

That pisses me off so much! He's doing all this stuff on our dime. Yet me and my wife both work full-time and we're luck to save up for one big trip a year. Makes me crazy!

foxhack

« Reply #725 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:57 pm »
I'm psyching myself up to do some video recording tomorrow morning.

It's not working very well. Ack.

foxhack

« Reply #726 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »
Aaaaaaaaaand failure. I can't really improvise worth a damn.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #727 on: May 31, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »
I need a new profile pic.  I'm just not feeling Captain N. Any suggestions?
I really want an 8bit pic of me, but I have no idea how to make one. All this majesty can't be captured in so few pixels.

*Edit: How's the Panic Restaurant look?  I'll keep looking.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:30:45 pm by turf »

scott

« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:52 pm »
Just paid my 1st house payment! I'm now going to live on bread and water for the next week.

sin2beta

« Reply #729 on: May 31, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
Just paid my 1st house payment! I'm now going to live on bread and water for the next week.

I hear that! I'm finishing moving tomorrow and will be more than broke!  >:(

On a side note, I'm tired of thunderstorms and tornadoes in Oklahoma. I like the state. But these last two weeks have seemed worse than anything in my 10+ years here. sheesh.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #730 on: May 31, 2013, 08:09:20 pm »
Welcome to the shitty part of being a homeowner. You bought a house, now you have to pay for it. BOOOO!

htimreimer

« Reply #731 on: May 31, 2013, 08:28:44 pm »
can someone help me on some thing, see i have game called galidor: defenders of the outer dimension for the pc and looked on online for some info on this game,so i could put it one the site but every site i go too, says it was only released europe and the north american release was canceled but i'm looking at the cd and it has both the esrb and valusoft logos on it. can someone help me on this because i'm confused if i should add it the site or not
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:41:05 pm by htimreimer »

foxhack

« Reply #732 on: May 31, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »
The internet is not a full source of info.

The game is listed at ValuSoft's website in their support section, so it definitely got a release here. On its own or bundled, I have no idea.

Edit: Aha, I searched eBay and apparently Galidor was bundled with three other Lego games by ValuSoft. Check this out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:59:23 pm by foxhack »

htimreimer

« Reply #733 on: May 31, 2013, 08:59:26 pm »
The internet is not a full source of info.

The game is listed at ValuSoft's website in their support section, so it definitely got a release here. On its own or bundled, I have no idea.
wow thats obscure

scott

« Reply #734 on: June 01, 2013, 08:47:24 am »

I hear that! I'm finishing moving tomorrow and will be more than broke!  >:(

Ha, hopefully you can get things settled faster than I am. I don't trust my garage for storage, it's old, dirt floor and non-insulated. So all the stuff that I could store in there is all in my spare room instead. I need more storage for my DVDs/CDs too and they are all in a couple boxes still. Makes wanting to watch a movie a pain in the ass.

Welcome to the shitty part of being a homeowner. You bought a house, now you have to pay for it. BOOOO!

I know, right?