Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Epoch Cassette Vision  (Read 1326 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Epoch Cassette Vision
« on: September 07, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I personally own in my collection and today I'm reviewing a console only released in Japan, the Epoch Cassette Vision.

Epoch Cassette Vision

History:
Released in 1981 in Japan only by Epoch, The Cassette Vision was the first Japan only console to have changeable cartridges. Selling for 13,500 yen ($135) it was the economical game system for it's time.

How did it do?
Poor, Not a lot of games where released for the Cassette Vision, Only 11 games in fact. It was quickly replaced by the Super Cassette Vision within a few years.   

Graphics:
The graphics remind me of Odyssey 2, just less detail.

Is this system still fun to play?
Not really, the games feel like watered down clones of classic games of the time. Imagine Pac-Man with two ghosts in a five block maze hunting four dots, or Space Invaders with only eight aliens and that's the kind of games you get.

What games are worth playing?
Well of the four watered down games I own, Pakpak Monster and Battle Vader are playable but get boring real quick due to their simplicity.

How many versions are there?
Two, The first large clunky model that looks more like an old Pong console and the smaller Cassette Vision Jr. model.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Finding one that works would be a good start, the model 1 breaks down real easy. Many I see have levers broken and knobs that don't work. The Junior model seems to have less issues so this is the version to get if you want to play the games. The console has no controllers, just two knobs and a lever built into the console (or one lever and directional buttons on the junior) The model 1 has two sets of knobs and levers for two players while the junior only one person can play. The games are not on Cassette Tapes like the name suggests, they are ROM carts that are stored in a large tape cassette style case. These systems are rare, but not so rare you never find one. Biggest issue I see is many sellers over price these consoles a lot. If you pay over $100 for one your getting ripped off in my opinion.

My Experience with the Console
I got the Junior model first, and to play this console you need a TV that can access cable channel 95 in the US. It only uses an RF input so screen quality isn’t the best. It seemed to play find on my 1080 HDTV. You can plug it into any US outlet but I still recommend a 100v converter, Japan uses a lower voltage then the US and over time could cause damage to any Japanese console. Playing the games I got bored real quick, it felt like I was playing a babies version of classic arcade games from the 80s. I finally got a Model 1 this year and to be honest only used it once to test it out. It's not in the best condition, but it works.

Final Thoughts
This is a collectors oddity console, not something a casual gamer would want to play. I think of the Cassette Vision as Odyssey 2's simple little brother.

Let me know what you think, I'm planning on continuing the reviews in a somewhat order of when they came out.

Leave reply's on what you think of the Cassette Vision and if your experience with the console.

By the Numbers: At the time of this article only three people own the model 1 and two own the model 2.

Past Reviews:
Creativision
Tandy TRS-80
Commodore VIC-20
MB Microvision
Atari 400/800
Mattel Intellivision
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Interton VC 4000
APF MP1000
Bally Astrocade
Atari 2600
Coleco Telstar Arcade
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:24:02 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: My 8-Bits: Epoch Cassette Vision
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:07:45 pm »
I have heard of the Cassette Vision before, but I have never seen gameplay of any of the games. I do get interested in the Japan only consoles though, maybe it's because of how mysterious they are to me.

theflea

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:36 am »
Here's a video of all the games for the cassette vision, enjoy.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:11:50 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:33 am »
That was beyond hard to watch.  No wonder there was a video game crash in the early 80's.  The games were a novelty at best.  There was no lasting fun in there. 

davifus

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:53:29 am »
Here's a video of all the games for the cassette vision, enjoy.

Whooo Weee looks like my type of games...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:55:57 am by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:13:23 pm »
I have to agree with Turf, those games looks pretty boring. That Pac Man clone is the worst.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:22 am »
I have to agree with Turf, those games looks pretty boring. That Pac Man clone is the worst.
That Pac-Man clone looks so horrendous that it is hilarious.  I actually want to buy it, is way too expensive on eBay.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)