Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2021  (Read 30994 times)

52 Games Challenge 2021
« on: December 21, 2020, 10:42:05 am »
The promise of the fresh start with a new year means another year of catching up on our backlogs! The goal is 52, but even if you only accomplish beating half that many games it's all for the greater good of reducing our backlogs, some of which are ridiculously long lol. But let's make this a better year than 2021 with more games played and beat, especially with next gen hardware getting into the hands of more and more people. Or just play the thousands of great retro games available, your choice :)

PS: In case anyone is new to this challenge, the 52 Games Challenge is an annual event where members of this board attempt to beat at least one game a week on average from their collection. Sure, owning games and having them neatly on a shelf if great, but it's even better to actually play and beat them! That's why this challenge was created, in order to reduce many of our ever growing backlogs of games. Pretty much state what you're playing, what you beat, what games you gave up on, and keep track of what games you played this year.

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:42:22 am »
I have A TON going on this next year which has me worried about whether or not I'll be able to best 52 games again, but so far I've never fallen short since this challenge began like 4 or 5 years ago. I guess it wouldn't surprise though if I didn't hit 52, but I have a whole year ahead of me so who knows.

Aside from randomly playing whatever interests me at the time, and plan on replaying a lot of games I've played before, but haven't beat in years this year. Some examples of this are games like KOTOR, Max Payne, Sonic the Hedgehog, and various other games it's easily been 10-years at least since I last played them. But other than those I plan on playing a ton of games I've never played before, including a bunch of retro games. Really looking forward to playing a ton of games over the next year :D

1. Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4) (1/1/21) [39/50]
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) (1/9/21) [37/50]
3. Zero Wing (Genesis) (1/9/21) [30/50]
4. Propeller Arena (Dreamcast) (1/29/21) [30/50]
5. South Park: The Fractured but Whole (PS4) (2/2/21) [34/50]
6. King of Fighters XII (PS3) (2/21/21) [24/50]
7. King of Fighters XIII (PS3) (2/21/21) [38/50]
8. King of Fighters 94 (PS2) (2/22/21) [32/50]
9. King of Fighters 94: Re-Bout (PS2) (2/22/21) [28/50]
10. King of Fighters 95 (PS2) (2/23/21) [34/50]
11. King of Fighters 96 (PS2) (2/23/21) [34/50]
12. King of Fighters: Maximum Impact (PS2) (2/23/21) [18/50]
13. King of Fighters 2006 (PS2) (2/23/21) [19/50]
14. King of Fighters 2000 (PS2) (2/23/21) [35/50]
15. King of Fighters 99: Evolution (Dreamcast) (2/23/21) [37/50]
16. King of Fighters 2001 (PS2) (2/23/21) [29/50]
17. King of Fighters 2002 (PS2) (2/23/21) [36/50]
18. King of Fighters 2003 (PS2) (2/24/21) [37/50]
19. King of Fighters XI (PS2) (2/25/21) [35/50]
20. Zanac X Zanac (PS1) (2/25/21) [34/50]
21. The Last of Us: Part II (PS4) (5/2/21) [41/50]
22. Sorcerer Striker (Arcade) (5/25/21) [37/50]
23. Brave Blade (Arcade) (5/25/21) [21/50]
24. 1944: The Loop Master (Arcade) (5/25/21) [20/50]
25. Kingdom Grand Prix (Arcade) (5/26/21) [31/50]
26. Dimahoo (Arcade) (5/26/21) [35/50]
27. Night Slashers (Arcade) (5/27/21) [35/50]
28. Psyvariar 2 (Dreamcast) (6/7/21) [24/50]
29. Breakers (Dreamcast) (6/15/21) [30/50]
30. Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries (PC) (6/22/21) [33/50]
31. Streets of Rage (Genesis) (6/22/21) [34/50]
32. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) (6/22/21) [34/50]
33. New Pokemon Snap (Switch) (6/25/21) [35/50]
34. Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage (Genesis) (6/26/21) [22/50]
35. Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD) (6/28/21) [36/50]
36. Mace the Dark Age (N64) (8/10/21) [30/50]
37. Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (PS5) (8/12/21) [38/50]
38. Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS2) (9/12/21) [33/50]
39. Cruis'n Blast (Switch) (9/18/21) [32/50]
40. Silent Hill 2 (PS2) (10/3/21) [41/50]
41. ReDux: Dark Matter (Dreamcast) (10/4/21) [24/50]
42. Shikigami No Shiro 2 (Dreamcast) (10/4/21) [35/50]
43. Trizeal (Dreamcast) (10/7/21) [35/50]
44. Triggerheart Exelica (Dreamcast) (10/8/21) [28/50]
45. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) (10/30/21) [46/50]
46. Fighting Vipers 2 (Arcade) (11/7/21) [31/50]
47. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Genesis) (11/13/21) [23/50]
48. Jurassic Park (Arcade) (11/14/21) [28/50]
49. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) (11/15/21) [38/50]
50. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES) (11/19/21) [43/50]
51. Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES) (11/20/21) [26/50]
52. Pokemon Red Version (Gameboy) (12/9/21) [37/50]
53. Cuphead (PC) (12/23/21) [40/50]
54. Final Fight 3 (SNES) (12/26/21) [26/50]
55. Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (PS2) (12/31/21) [37/50]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 12:19:47 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 10:50:54 am »
Earlier and earlier with this each year.  Reserving my post.

Met my goal in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020; with 2016/2017/2020 being 104 games and 2018/2019 being 52 games as the goals.  2015 I tracked the info super late and I had another really busy year that year.  Demolished my goal last year hitting 121 beat.  Last year was an effort to franchise run a lot of series, and I think I did pretty good with that.  Some series I got through most of the games, some I got through the ones I missed, and some I successfully beat them all.  Probably more of the same this year, more franchise runs, more games I should've already played, and I'm on a discord that has a game club running that I've been taking part of.  1st was Chrono Trigger, great, 2nd was FF6, not so great, and now it's Super Mario RPG.  Again, I'm not going to explicitly carry over titles from previous years just like last year.  If I start playing such a game again, I'll bring over the info, but I'm not going to clog up my post with that info.

Quote from: Legend
bold games are games that have been beaten, previously beaten, or are unbeatable.
italicized games are in progress.
standard games are games I am not currently trying to beat.
strikethrough games are games that have been abandoned.

Twitch
Youtube

2021 52 Game Challenge
  • Dark Souls III (X1)
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4)
  • Super Mario RPG (SNES)
    -1st rant about streaming
  • Mixups by POWGI (PSV)
  • Word Wheel by POWGI (PSV)
  • Tic-Tac-Letters by POWGI (PSV)
  • Fifty Words by POWGI (PSV)
  • Just a Phrase by POWGI (PSV)
  • Wreckfest (X1)
  • Alphaset by POWGI (PSV)
  • NHL 94 Rewind (X1)
  • Sonic Advance (GBA)
    - 2nd rant about streaming
  • Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
  • Call of the Sea (XS)
  • Gone Home (X1)
  • Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
  • Black Mirror (X1)
  • Nier: Automata (X1)
  • Halo: Reach (XS)
  • Super Smash Bros (N64)
  • Sonic Battle (GBA)
  • Halo: CE Anniversary (XS)
  • Donut County (X1)
  • Lococycle (X1)
  • Shadow the Hedgehog (GCN)
    - 3rd rant about streaming
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (360)
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii)
  • Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)
  • Tomoyo After -It's a Wonderful Life- CS Edition (NS)
  • Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa (NS)
  • Panel de Pon (NSO)
  • Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
  • Senran Kagura: Reflexions (NS)
  • Goldeneye Remastered (360)
  • Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu (NS)
  • Kona (X1)
  • Pokemon: Sword (NS)
  • Ringfit Adventure (NS)
  • Sara is Missing (Android)
  • Gato Roboto (X1)
  • Simulacra (Android)
  • There is no game (Android)
  • Gear.Club Unlimited (NS)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS5)
  • Ape Out (PC)
  • Streets of Kamurocho (PC)
  • Outdrive (PC)
  • SUPERHOTline Miami (PC)
  • Operation Logic Bomb (NSO)
  • Super Valis IV (NSO)
  • Wild Guns (NSO)
  • Wilmot's Warehouse (X1)
  • WWE 2K16 (X1)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (X1)
  • Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (XBLA)
  • The Videokid (X1)
  • Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (X1)
  • Knight Squad (X1)
  • The Gardens Between (X1)
  • Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (NS)
  • Night Call (X1)
  • Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! (NS)
  • West of Dead (X1)
  • Observation (X1)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (NS)
    - Tunic Demo (X1)
  • Metroid (NSO)
  • The Mummy Demastered (PS4)
  • Blaster Master (NSO)
  • Donkey Kong (NSO)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (NSO)
  • Donkey Kong 3 (NSO)
  • Vice: Project Doom (NSO)
  • Rogue Legacy (PS4/PSV)
    - Rant about Rogue games
  • Super Mario Kart (NSO)
  • Dead Cells (NS)
  • Mega Man Zero (NS)
  • Dark Souls Remastered (NS)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 (NSO)
  • F-Zero (NSO)
  • Bloodborne (PS4)
  • Q.U.B.E. (PS4)
  • Clannad: Side Stories (NS)
  • The Touryst (XS)
  • Undermine (X1)
  • Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (NS)
  • Later Alligator (NS)
  • Nioh (PS4)
  • Xeodrifter (PS4)
  • New Pokemon Snap (NS)
  • Strider (NES)
  • Strider Returns: Journey from Darkness (Gen)
  • Strider (PS1)
  • Strider 2 (PS1)
  • Shadow of the Ninja (NSO)
  • Mega Man Zero 2 (NS)
  • Mega Man Zero 3 (NS)
  • Strider (PS4)
  • Claymates (NSO)
  • Hades (XS)
  • Xena: Warrior Princess (PS1)
  • Xena: Warrior Princess - The Talisman of Fate (N64)
  • Mega Man Zero 4 (NS)
  • Xena: Warrior Princess (GBC)
  • Mega Man ZX (NS)
  • Mega Man ZX Advent (NS)
  • Pursuit Force (PSP)
  • Vectorman (NS)
  • Vectorman 2 (NS)
  • Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (PSP)
  • Mega Man 2 (PS4)
  • Hotshot Racing (X1)
  • Mega Man 3 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 4 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 5 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 6 (PS4)
  • Mega Man X7 (PS4)
  • Mega Man X8 (PS4)
  • Mega Man Legends (PS1)
  • Mega Man 7 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 8 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 9 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 10 (PS4)
  • Mega Man 11 (PS4)
  • The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS1)
  • Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge (GB)
  • Mega Man II (GB)
  • Mega Man III (GB)
  • Mega Man IV (GB)
  • Mega Man V (GB)
  • Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)
  • Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GBC)
  • Metroid Fusion (GBA)
  • The World Ends With You: Final Remix (NS)
  • Night in the Woods (X1)
  • Night in the Woods: Longest Night (X1)
  • Night in the Woods: Lost Constellation (X1)
  • Katana Zero (X1)
  • Heave Ho (PC)
  • Fallout: New Vegas (360)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (XS)
  • Fallout 4 (X1)
  • Fallout 76 (X1)
  • Super Mario 3D World (NS)
  • Family (PC)
  • Bowser's Fury (NS)
  • Cruis'n Blast (NS)
  • Metroid Dread (NS)
  • Carto (X1)
  • Eastshade (X1)
  • Knights and Bikes (X1)
  • Gear.Club Unlimited 2 (NS)
  • Unpacking (X1)
  • Mario Party Superstars (NS)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (XS)
  • Haven (XS)
  • Morkredd (XS)
  • Test Drive Unlimited 2 (360)
  • Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (PS1)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
  • Naughty Bear (360)
  • The Punisher: No Mercy (PS3)
  • Dark Souls III (X1)
  • Ice Climber (NSO)
  • Lost Judgment (PS5)
  • Spiritfarer (X1)
  • Lovely Planet (PS4)
  • SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete (XS)
  • Typing of the Dead: Overkill (PC)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Person 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
  • The Medium (XS)
  • Sonic Colors (Wii)
  • Halo 2 Anniversary (XS)
  • The Sinking City (PS4)
  • Kill the Bad Guy (PS4)

Top Games played released in 2021
  • Bowser's Fury (NS)
  • Metroid Dread (NS)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (XS)
  • Hades (XS)

Top Games played NOT released in 2021
  • Dark Souls III (X1)
  • Pokemon Sword (NS)
  • Nioh (PS4)
  • Gato Roboto (X1)

Top Games played overall in 2021
  • Dark Souls III (X1)
  • Pokemon Sword (NS)
  • Nioh (PS4)

Honorable Mention
  • Call of the Sea (XS)
  • Dead Cells (NS)
  • Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
  • Rogue Legacy (PS4/PSV)

- Content posts -
Games 1 - 17
Games 18 - 36
Games 37 - 60
Games 61 - 76
Games 77 - 88
Games 89 - 101
Games 102 - 114
Games 115 - 125
Games 126 - 140
Games 141 - 152
Games 153 - 165
Current + Not in progress
Final Stats
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 02:39:43 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 10:59:36 am »
Reserving my first content post too while I'm at it I guess.

Main List

bold games are games that have been beaten, previously beaten, or are unbeatable.

1. Dark Souls III: Fire Fades Edition (X1)
So, my wife had family coming into town over the weekend and they were going to be staying with us.  I'm well aware that 2 of the folks coming down are very much into the Souls games and I want to start DS3, so I went out and bought with the idea that either they would bring down their X1 and we'd co-op or I could get them to help me.  Well, they both kept back and forth telling me polarizing things.  "Go that way", "No, don't go that way".  "Kill her, it'll get you a shortcut", "I didn't kill her when I played, I wouldn't bother".  Every single thing turned into them getting me screwed, I'm fairly early in the game, I might actually delete my save and start over just so that I'm not so screwed.  They headed back home and were telling me "Oh, hey, when we get back we can co-op all 3 of us and we can help you", Screw that noise.  I am actually pretty pissed about the whole ordeal.  Their opinion about the Souls franchise is very different than mine.  They believe that no matter what you do, you're going to die, because the game is just that hard, so it doesn't matter.  Read as, they suck and had to put in years of effort to be able to get where they are.  My opinion is that these games are not unlike retro games in that if you know what you need to do, it's just about execution.  I can execute.  I just don't know what to do or where to go.  I can use a walkthrough, I have no quarrels with that, because, to be frank, I don't like wasting my time, I'm not going to try every different thing, dying hundreds of times until I figure out the right direction, just tell me the right direction and I'll go about my business.  I also have no interest in having people basically play the game for me, so if we co-op, chances are you are either going to be explicitly unhelpful, like before, or you are going to go ahead and basically kill everything so that I'm just following.  No thanks.  Now back to relevant things.  Going back to Souls from Bloodborne is a bit weird.  It took a lot to get used to the stagger visceral system in BB, but I'm aware that that is going to assist me in parrying in DS3.  Going from blood vials back to estus flasks is troublesome, because I'm used to having plenty of healing items and being able to recover health via dealing damage.  It's also a bit difficult going back to using a shield when I'm used to having a pistol.  The DS games prepared me well for Bloodborne, but Bloodborne is so different it almost makes going back to DS harder.  The fact that those folks fucked up my playthrough, and I'm not that far, I may actually delete my save file and start over.  Dicks.  Recently found that I have the collector's strategy guide for this game that I got for free a while back.  I was planning on beating this game this Summer, but since my wife's cousin has been out of town all summer, I probably won't get around to this until late August/Early September and even then, who knows. <--All written in 2017.  2020 and here we are and I'm finally jumping back into this game.  I think I've played this game for like an hour each year trying to get back in, but between being angry about 2017 events and not knowing what I was doing or what to do, I would give up.  Same thing happened in 2020, but a day later I was still feeling like giving it a try and now I've dumped in an additional 10+ hours and am level 43 and at Smouldering Lake now.  It was probably around this point that I started streaming my playthrough of this to Twitch.  Now that I'm doing that, I might be writing on here less frequently as I'll be able to look back at playthroughs (exported to Youtube).  Actually going through the process right now of exporting my first stream to Youtube, so hopefully that goes well.  Did all the DLC, got like 90% of the achievements.  Just need all rings, all pyromancies, all miracles, all gestures, and the 2 endings I hadn't gotten before.  Would require a run at NG+ and NG++ though, so I'm hesitant to bother.  I think my rating of souls is DS2 < Demon's Souls < BB < DS < DS3 < DSR < Sekiro.  Demon's Souls Remake will probably fall in around BB, either before or after I imagine.  I really enjoyed Bloodborne, but DS1/3 are great and Sekiro is top tier for me.
Rating: Soft Recommendation.  I personally loved this game, but I know folks won't in general.

2. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4)
Was trying to pick out a new game to play while waiting for Xbox's Gamerscore Challenge to start (will talk about that when it starts).  My wife suggested I finally play this game because she liked it a lot and has been recommending it to me for a while.  This was my first game to stream start to finish on Twitch.  So my entire playthrough is available over there.  Short 2-3 hour game with some interesting stories and concepts.  The game warns you that it doesn't hold your hand and expects you to figure things out on your own.  I don't think I would've been able to beat this game without a walkthrough for A) not being able to find such tiny things, B) not being able to find things in such similarly colored areas, and C) not wanting to wander to far and miss out on stuff.  That said, I wasn't personally a fan of the ending, I found it quite polarizing and it sort of ruined the experience for me.  Maybe a second playthrough, knowing what you know at the end, might enhance things, but I'm thinking not.
Rating: Soft pass.

3. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
I started this one last year, but I never documented it last year, not a huge deal.  I do that frequently, either document it after beating the game, or just get around to it whenever.  This is game #3 of the discord game club.  Seems like at this point it's only like 3 or so people still really taking part.  A couple of people dropped out at Chrono Trigger, and then almost everybody dropped out at FF6.  I think everyone who got through FF6 started SMRPG and is enjoying it immensely.  I'd love to have been able to stream this game, but I don't have a capture card, so only PS4+/X1+ for now... and even then, I'm playing through an emulator and using cheats/save states to help the game go quicker.  I have an aversion to the massive grinding required in older RPG games and a lot of the cheap 1 hit KO stuff a lot of older games would do as well.  The level of cheating I use largely depends on how much I'm enjoying the game and how much trouble I'm having with the game.  I didn't cheat much in FF6 until I was ready to abandon the game, at that point I cheated massively.  This game I largely only cheated with money and FP, and occasionally did XP boosts so I wouldn't have to grind to level up.  Does that belittle my accomplishments?  Probably, but I don't really care.  I'm getting what I want out of the games and I'm not going to feel bad about it.  Timed hits works better than I remember.  I feel like as a kid I always had trouble with the timed hits, but it wasn't nearly as bad.
Rating: Soft Recommendation.

Rant #1
This is one of those things I'm concerned about with my move to streaming my playthroughs of games.  A) While I do own this game physically, I'm playing it through an emulator, as I usually do with older games, which leads to other problems.  B) I tend to use cheats on older games, like infinite lives or something, so that I can get through the game without having to start over and over and over.  C) I tend to use save states frequently, because rather than taking the time to trial and error having to start over, I'll trial and error and then save scum essentially. D) I like to play some of these games in short bursts which isn't really streaming friendly, can't really just stream for 5 minutes at a time a 40 hour game.  E) I like to play these games on the go.  I might be playing for 5 minutes on the toilet, I might be playing for 5 minutes before bed, I might be playing for 5 minutes while I'm waiting on code to compile.  Can't really stream when I'm moving about so much and might not be somewhere where I could stream.  I just bought a Retrotink 2XPro, so that's step one of being able to stream something like this (though I already own a Retron5 and that's probably what I'd use to stream this), just need a capture card... that's next.  I'm just concerned that my playcount will go down if I'm holding off on playing for when I can stream, a lot of games get beat for me when I'm playing in tiny unstreamable chunks.  The other main concern is the shit I'll get from people for cheating/save scumming (read as cheating).  On the one hand, I don't care because this isn't about them, but I still don't want to deal with it.  As it is, I've gotten so much shit from people invalidating my 121 games beat last year because I didn't beat 3 games 100%.  I beat 3 Sonic games, having only played through with one character instead of beating it 15 times with all of the characters to get the true ending.  I would argue getting the true ending would be 100%ing the game, and beating the game with one character is beating the game in general.  I never claim to complete/100% games when I say I "beat" a game.  As it is, my definition of beating a game largely lies in getting it off my backlog, if the game is off my backlog, as in I did what I wanted and got what I wanted out of it, I consider it beat.  I usually want the credits to roll or to get the main story done, but if a game's good, I'll go for more.  And now I see I made a huge wall rant irrelevant to SMRPG, so I'm gonna strip this to a separate rant.

4. Mixups by POWGI (PSV)
Started this game last year, but set it on the side due to Sonic/FF6.  Finally came back to it after beating SMRPG.  Didn't have much left to do.  Managed to get the easy platinum.
Rating: Hard pass.

5. Word Wheel by POWGI (PSV)
Next POWGI game on my list to play.  One of those scrabble esque games where you're given letters and you've got to come up with words.  Only constraint is that every word has to use the letter in the middle of the wheel.  Pretty simple stuff, pretty enjoyable too.  Reminds me a bit of old text twist, just slightly more annoying with the required letter per word.
Rating: Hard Pass

6. Tic-Tac-Letters by POWGI (PSV)
I jumped into this one next, goal is pretty much draw up a stalemate type of scenario, no 3 in a rows.  It starts out pretty fun, but I kept getting to a point where I just didn't understand how you were supposed to know what to do next.  Seems to have a certain sudoku type of thinking out things to figure out the puzzle.  If I had been in a better mindspace, I probably would've enjoyed the game more, but at the time I was just annoyed.  Regardless, it's an interesting and novel concept.

7. Fifty Words by POWGI (PSV)
Another entry in the POWGI series.  This is basically a word search game, but every single letter in the grid (which isn't a traditional grid) gets used, sometimes more than once.  It does basically expect you to find the words without telling you what words to look for, but it does let you know when a given letter on the grid will no longer be used, which helps narrow things down.

8. Just a Phrase by POWGI (PSV)
More POWGI.  This one is build a wheel of fortune esque phrase, where the phrase is intentionally used incorrectly, by selecting letters hangman style.  Interesting, but still not very good.

9. Wreckfest (X1)
I expect to abandon this game by Xmas as I'm getting Death Stranding for xmas, so I'm probably going to jump into that as soon as I can.  Something about this game doesn't satisfy my want for a destruction derby game.  I don't know if it's the fact that you take damage when you deal damage, which makes sense, but it makes the game difficult to take part in the destruction and still win, plus you get auto wrecked if you don't deal damage for a minute or something.  Again this is one I'm mostly only playing when I need to earn achievements for Xbox Rewards.  Xbox Rewards is kind of being my bane right now in gaming, I could be playing and beating games on X1, but I feel it's a waste to earn achievements that could otherwise go towards rewards.  I need to get over it.  Anyway, I'm at the tail end of the 4th championship where I've just got to do 800 points worth of races or something to win it.  Finally finished this game after who knows how long I've been working on it.  Honestly, real good fun.  Youtube copyright claiming my uploads so I get to deal with that.  I'm gonna dock points for this inconvenience.  Shame there isn't some twitch/youtube/console integration that has the games not stream the music but let the player still hear it.  afaik there is and I'm dumb.
Rating: Soft recommendation.

10. Alphaset by POWGI (PSV)
I'd love to say this is the last POWGI game, but I'm sure there are more I haven't done and will do.  I believe this one is a crossword style puzzle where you fill in 26 blanks, each blank representing a unique letter in the alphabet.  Pretty simple stuff.  Does seem to be the last POWGI game, I went and searched around to see if there is one I haven't done yet and seems I've done them all.  There is one new one I see now, but it isn't on Vita and I don't want to play on PS4 and I'm mostly only getting these for trophies so Switch just doesn't align.  Eh.  Whatever.

11. NHL 94 Rewind (X1)
I have this thing in my head where I'm like oh yeah, NHL 94.  I play it and I'm like oh, I suck at this.  I about give up and someone tells me about the j-shot thing and I'm scoring goals now.  I run through the playoffs, play a couple of games, and bam, 1000 gamerscore.  Nice and easy and only took up most of an evening.  Over 10% done with this month's gamerscore challenge now.
Rating: Soft pass

12. Sonic Advance (GBA)
Decided it was finally time to hop back on my franchise run of the Sonic series.  I'm not a big fan of Sonic in general, so I'm not gonna have a lot functionally to say at all, let alone good stuff.  Art style seems really good, very animated sprites, seems to be in the style of Sonic X.  Gameplay is actually pretty enjoyable, I'd say one of the best 2D sonics I've played.  Pretty short too with only 2 acts per zone.  I can't recommend it because I don't like Sonic games, but if you like Sonic, you owe it to yourself to prioritize playing the Advance series.

Streaming tangent
I'm sort of splitting my run between 2d/3D and console/handheld.  Next games up would've been this and/or Shadow the Hedgehog iirc.  I'm putting off any console entries until I can stream the playthrough.  I got my retrotink 2xpro a few days ago and I managed to snag a cheap elgato hd60s+ on amazon that should arrive Friday.  So maybe I'll start streaming Shadow the Hedgehog on Saturday.  May do a test stream with something simple to just figure out OBS and such.  Totally off topic, anyway

13. Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
More Sonic Advance games.  Even better than the previous entry, improving in most ways.  Really don't have much to say as it's more of the same.

14. Call of the Sea (XS)
In more of my coincidental Lovecraftian game playing, here's another one.  This one should be pretty short, and should make for an easy 1000 gamerscore now that the gamerscore challenge has started.  Puzzle/walking simulator, so should be an interesting time.  Got through Chapter 2 and none of the achievements popped, so after I ended the stream I completely replayed chapter 2 to get the achievements.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Didn't happen again.  Rest of the experience was actually pretty good with this game.  Thinking about it, I'm going to try and make an effort to link to my playthrough playlists for the games I've streamed in case folks wanna see and so I can get back to it real quick.  Story is good, gameplay is pretty good, graphics are good.  Overall a good game.

15. Gone Home (X1)
I've already beaten this game before, but I needed gamerscore for the gamerscore challenge, so I went through and played through this game a couple of times to get the collect all the things, collect all the things in 10 minutes, and the view all commentary achievements.  Basically beat the game like 4 more times, but I'm not going to count it more than once.  Very quick 1000g, and an enjoyable game.
Rating: Soft recommendation

16. Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
Okay, so last entry in the Advance series, and they swap things up.  This game has an overworld for each zone, doesn't really serve a purpose, but it's interesting and actually kind of pleasant.  Each zone has 3 acts again, bonus levels sprinkled, and a boss level.  In this one, I noticed the levels felt particularly long, but not in a bad way.  A few levels were weird in that they play more like a Mario level than a Sonic level in riding a platform and dodging stuff instead of going fast.  Best 2D Sonic game I've played so far (Not counting spin offs because Chaotix and Tails Adventure were probably better)

17. Black Mirror (X1)
Went looking through my games and their achievement guides and saw that this one was not only quick, but pretty easy to get everything in one playthrough without much effort guide wise.  Oh. My. God.  This. Game.  It's terrible.  Like laughably terrible.  Animations are wack, voice acting is off, glitchy/buggy.  Just this game could be a treasure trove of memes.  Story wise, this game's story is actually quite good... really makes me want to go read through my Lovecraft book my wife just bought me.  Oh, did I mention this is another Lovecraft game?  I swear it's not on purpose, I just happen to be doing it.  I promise.  I really can't recommend this game, but it is a quick and easy 1000g.  But this is probably one of those games that's so bad that it's sort of redeeming in the meta-entertainment section.

Next List
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:20:07 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 11:09:42 am »

Less than two weeks before the start of the new year, I don't see what the big deal is.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 11:14:37 am »
Main List
Previous List

18. Nier Automata (X1)
I thought about not adding this one, because I was hoping it'd be quicker, but I did wind up sinking over 5 hours into the game and I have previously platinumed this game on PS4.  A cool dude on twitter did a video about a hidden cheat in the game that basically unlocks chapter select at the beginning of the game.  I leveraged that to get the full 1000g for the game because of the current gamerscore challenge going on.  I'm considering creating another Xbox Live account and streaming the 1000g because it's actually quite simple... but I probably won't.

19. Halo: Reach (XSX)
Decided to finally start my franchise run of Halo.  My thought was "hey, there's 7 games here and I need about 2,000g left for the gamerscore challenge, this will work out well", well at this point I've played through 2 Halo games and I have about 300g to show for it, so with 5 games left, I might get another 700g, maybe.  That'll leave me with 1,000g to still earn and no time left, so I'm looking at other stuff and maybe I'll finish the franchise run closer to the 10,000g mark or once I'm done and don't need to worry.  I remember the story for this game being more... idk, meaningful when I played it 10 or so years ago, this time, I was very meh the entire game and I like Halo more than I did 10 years ago, not that it really says much because I still don't care for it.

20. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
I hadn't intended on counting this one, but I did technically beat the game and get the credits to pop and I did spend about an hour playing the game.  I was streaming my playing of the game.  I hooked the system up to a Retrotink and the retrotink up to an elgato and I was using the Hyperkin Admiral wireless n64 controller.  Honestly, the whole setup worked really well.  I'm really happy with how it worked out.  Will be trying to make an effort to play some retro games sometime soon.  Probably Shadow the Hedgehog though.
Rating: Soft recommendation, obviously.

21. Sonic Battle (GBA)
I don't know why I hadn't written anything up on this yet.  I've been playing it for a week or so and beat it a few days ago at this point too.  Game is a pretty simple arena brawler beat em up fighting game.  1v1, 1v2,1v1v1,2v2, etc type of ordeal.  Took some getting used to how the game plays and controls, but overall, it was a pretty enjoyable game.  I wish the story hadn't been as long as it was, but it wasn't a slog or anything like some other games.  Just longer than I would've liked.  If it provided any value to the Sonic canon I'd recommend it, but as a handheld party-esque fighting game, I'm gonna say soft pass, but it's still not bad.

22. Halo: CE Anniversary (XSX)
Started this up shortly after finishing Reach, I've played this one before, but I don't think I ever beat it.  I played it on PC way back in the XP days, but Halo 2 was Vista minimum so I just kind of gave up because I was like whatever, never playing it.  I remembered quite a bit of the game as I was playing through it, but also felt like the gameplay was pretty dated.  I was hoping in the anniversary release they would've gave it some QoL improvements over just graphical stuff.  A bit of the game is pretty terribly cliche and meme-y and some of the fights are pretty cheap.  I definitely will be taking a break before starting Halo 2, but that might be partly because I need to get like 1,000g to get closer to the goal for the month.

23. Donut County (X1)
Game got added to Game pass and I knew it was a quick 1,000g, so I went for it because of the gamerscore challenge.  Took about 2 hours... almost exactly, my stream was 121 minutes and I took a couple of breaks to help my wife with stuff.  Fun game.

24. Lococycle (X1)
It was getting down to the wire with the gamerscore challenge, and I still needed about 800 points, so I decided to give this game a go again.  It looked like an easy 1,000g, so I decided to go for it.  I beat this game a few years back on Steam through Steamlink which worked pretty well.  But this time I streamed playing it and gosh I just didn't really remember how terrible this game is story wise.  Like Roundabout or Lollipop Chainsaw bad.  Very entertaining.  Can't really recommend the game, but it is an absolutely entertaining piece of entertainment.

25. Shadow the Hedgehog (GCN)
This is my continuation of my Sonic franchise run and it's my first real stream using my elgato setup.  I went into this game expecting it to be both terrible, and for some god awful reason I was expecting a 3rd person shooter... what I wound up with was Sonic Adventure but with guns.  On the one hand, it does play mildly better than Adventure, on the other hand the gun combat is just the worst because there is no lock on, just lock on alone would make this game massively better.  Camera work in 3D Sonic games are just the worst.  Story was pretty bad, but since I went for the normal ending I didn't get any really wild stuff.  I need to go watch the pure evil ending because apparently it's just something to behold.

Rant
I didn't test audio well enough and my headset I was using is apparently garbage, so I need to figure something out before I continue because the commentary on this stream is just absolutely atrocious.  I don't know that I want to use my wired headset with how far away the computer is, but bluetooth seems to be absolutely terrible quality.  I've got to give on something because I want to stream, record commentary, and still hear the game through my sound system.  What this means is, playing on the TV, streaming from the computer, not being near the computer, and recording my audio but not the sound coming from the sound system.  This is all together probably unreasonable, so either I need to give up on playing on TV, giving up on using the sound system, or giving up on the commentary.  I may tool with the audio some and see if I can figure out getting decent sound out of my bluetooth headset/buy a new bluetooth headset, but it sounds like bluetooth audio just isn't feasible for streaming.

26. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (360)
Been sort of dreading/looking forward to this game. This game is so infamous for being bad.  Moved my streaming setup around and swapped some equipment so now I should be able to stream pretty good.  The stream for this seemed to go pretty well except that my voice was just a little echoey, something to work on.  Honestly, I'm getting some good entertainment out of this game, it's bad, real bad, but entertaining.  I'm really hating that I can't modify the control stick directions, I really hate that left is right and right is left.  As always, I hate that 3D Sonic games don't have a lock on targeting system.  This game has some stupid difficulty curves due to camera shite and glitches.  Game frequently doesn't save because shenanigans, so you have to make sure you manually save frequently.  I played for an hour last night, game overed, and had to redo the entire hour of gameplay because it hadn't saved once.  I was having stupid fun with this game doing commentary until I hit that point.  I was pretty livid with myself for not saving frequently enough that I almost abandoned it.  I managed to push through and finish Sonic's episode.  Definitely not touching this game ever again.
Rating: Hard pass

27. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii)
Beat this game days ago at this point, but am just now writing about it... and even now I can't be bothered.  The game is an auto runner with like 2 buttons and a remote shake.  The buttons work well enough, but the remote shake is so wonky that you wind up throwing out your shoulder just trying to get it to register too late.  Game was mildly enjoyable, but got flustering with the controls.  Also, enough of the game I didn't really understand control wise, so it was just kinda there.  One of the earliest levels, I played the level on a loop because I didn't understand that I wasn't supposed to lock attack at a spring and just fall to the ground.  Overall, best 3D Sonic I've played to date, but that really doesn't say much.

28. Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)
Gosh, it's been a solid week at least since I beat this game.  The final boss fight was kind of infuriating, I think I almost quit playing at it because I just didn't get what was supposed to be done, other than that though, this game was pretty pleasant to play.  Not an auto runner like the previous game, mostly mindless waggling from the wiimote to slash and hack at enemies.  Boss fights are completely different from regular combat, at least in that you can't just randomly slash, you have to time things and such.  Overall not a terrible game, but still don't recommend it.

29. Tomoyo After -It's a Wonderful Life- CS Edition (NS)
Had been working on this game for quite some time, but only putting in a little bit of time at a time.  Finally decided to dump time into it.  Not many decisions in the game that matter, let alone many decisions at all.  The endings in general actually kind of suck, but I guess that's Clannad for you in the being super sad and shit.  Like the bad endings are actually kinda good endings and the true ending is sorta fucked... It's not a bad game, but it definitely is super inferior to Clannad, both in story, content, and branching paths.  That said, I'm invested in these characters so I know it's a game I can get into even if the plot itself is subpar for me.
Rating: Soft recommendation

30. Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa (NS)
This game sure was something.  I'm not invested in the characters so I was skimming a lot of the text because I was having trouble caring.  Puzzle mechanics weren't the worst, but it just made me want to play puzzle league.  Game is basically strip puzzle combat, which was weird.  Eventually hit the time loop stuff and even following a guide kept looping and looping because I kept getting it wrong somehow.  I eventually shut the game off and turned it back on because it was glitching which was probably the reason the loops kept happening.  Finally got the good and true endings.  True ending was seemingly open ended like maybe a sequel, not really sure, but I don't think this game did very good, so I don't expect anything, which is fine by me.  Story got a little interesting towards the middle and end, but between the two and even before I'm just like uh, is this over yet?  Especially with the bugs and glitches.
Rating: Hard pass

31. Panel de Pon (NSO)
Out of nowhere my wife was wanting to play pokemon puzzle league, so I was gonna set up the N64 and play that and she's like don't they have puzzle league for Switch yet?  and I'm like nope... oh wait, they have tetris attack on NSO.  I load up Panel de Pon and she's like this isn't tetris attack and I have to explain the SMB2/USA shenanigans they did to Tetris Attack, and we proceed to play for like 3 hours, and then the next day play for a few more hours, so this will likely be a recurring thing for a while.
Rating: Soft recommendation or whatever I said last year.

32. Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
I love Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, but I was really wanting to play Pokemon Puzzle League, both because of content/characters and in that the game does actually play differently than Tetris Attack.  So now we're playing this pretty much daily.  If I play on level 9 and my wife plays on level 5, I win pretty much every time, if I play on 10 and she plays on 5, it's hit or miss, I'd say she probably wins more than I do.
Rating: Soft recommendation or whatever I said last time I played this.

33. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
Discord game club decided to play Banjo-Kazooie 64, but I've 100%'d that and Tooie multiple times and didn't particularly feel like playing it again... so I decided to finally give Nuts & Bolts another try.  This game is very odd.  It's not really a platformer, if anything, it's like a vehicular platformer.  Getting out of the car is very beneficial for more precise actions, but the entire game is expected to be played inside a vehicle.  The vehicle controls are wonky af and feels like the driving mechanics from a platforming game, but it's the key mechanic of this game... it just doesn't work very well.  That said, the game can be pretty fun if you can get past its many pratfalls.  I didn't even touch the last world, I thought about it, but the name sounds like a water level, and that's never good.  I might go back to this game one day for shiggles, but I doubt it.  There's plenty more for me to do in the game, but I did beat the game.  Not that I've kept up with my rating score stuff, but I'd say this game is 6/10, maybe 5.5/10.  It's not good, but it's not the worst, and it can actually be fun, so it deserves at least over a 5.

34. Senran Kagura: Reflexions (NS)
Just got this game in the mail after waiting the better part of a year for it.  I was expecting more VN out of this game.  You get like 10 unique lines of text per playthrough, and by that, I mean the game has 10 unique lines of text per character, regardless of decisions.  The gameplay is basically minigames, very quickly the mini-games become optional so you can skip them entirely.  Which means you can completely beat a character's true ending in about an hour... and even then, none of it has substance.  This game serves purely as fan service, and I'd argue it's not even good fan service.  I enjoyed my time with Estival Versus enough that I'll keep this game, but I won't come back to it unless I decide I care enough about a specific character to give their route a chance.  I played with Yumi for no real reason, and the only character I recall to care for is Hikage who is mysteriously missing from this game.

35. Goldeneye Remastered (360)
I don't know how I skipped adding this one.  I played through the whole story mode and I even streamed some of my playthrough.  Really weird that it got missed.  It was a wonderful experience to go back to playing this game, especially with a modern controller.  Absolutely recommend giving this a go as it is a massive improvement over trying to play with an N64 controller.
Rating: Highly Recommended.

36. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu (NS)
Was trying to pick a game to play after finishing Reflexions, my wife was being... well herself, so I needed to be wherever she was, and I think I was in a mood that I wanted something that I wouldn't have to think too much about, so this game popped in my mind.  AFAIK something prompted me to want to replay Yellow basically.  I have complaints, lots of them actually, but I've been enjoying my time with this game because it's basically an excuse to replay yellow, its gameplay is super chill and relaxing compared to even regular pokemon games because everything is dumbed down so much.  That said, leveling in this game is an ordeal because you basically have to blindly catch pokemon which is weird, and you have to do good with the motion controls to get good xp... and even then you're still at the mercy of stupid rng of succeeding.  I got a combo up to like 10 and then the stupid rattata just would not be caught.  Ultra ball, candy, perfectly executed excellent tiny circle throw and he still kicks out at 2 and then runs away, combo murdered.  Early on, game was super easy and I was overleveled and it was all great.  I'm at Silph Co/Sabrina/Yoga and I'm drowning fighting a single pokemon having trainer because I can't level up fast enough.  I have one major peeve with RPGs, if you make me grind... at all... I have negative opinions for your game.  If I grind by happenstance of doing something else, that's fine, but making me repetitively do the same thing over and over and over just to get xp so I can go do another fight that as soon as I finish I'll have to grind again, nope, hate it.  That's where I'm at.  I wound up not having to do a ton of grinding, so the game wasn't that bad.  Overall enjoyable experience, but I couldn't be bothered to keep playing after the credits rolled to even bother getting Mewtwo.  I got to Cerulean cave, but turned off the game two steps in.

37. Kona (X1)
Saw this game was getting delisted from Game Pass, so like always, I prioritized playing through the game.  I probably have some old notes on this game from way back when I saw it at PAX years and years ago.  I went in expecting a walking simulator, that's basically what the game is plus a little detectiving.  The sole combat in the game is when you run into wolves and the end of the game, which is largely more wolves.  Some of the game is interesting.  Sadly, the most interesting this was the 4 pages of what should've been at least 5 pages of a novel about a guy planning on murdering a lady, but winding up marrying her and having kids and still planning on murdering her.  The story might fall together well if you do 100% of everything there is to do in this frozen Canadian wilderness, I did not do everything, I only found 94% of the cabins and houses or something.  So that said, I thought I understood the story, heard something in game and thought it was something else, went online to read more and found something else and thought I had it, and then read something else and realized I really had no idea what happened in this game.  Between this and falling asleep during my first stream of this game... plus my second stream my wife and kid being difficult... I really don't have fond memories of this game.  If it weren't getting delisted, maybe I'd have put in more time, but then I wouldn't have played it yet anyway, so damned if you do.

Next List
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:24:57 pm by ignition365 »

telly

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 11:18:37 am »
Guess I'll reserve my post before it runs off the first page!

Games Played in 2021:
1. Stardew Valley (PC and Switch)
2. Rocket League (PS4)
3. Among Us (PC)
4. Ghosts 'n' Goblins (Switch)
5. 1943: The Battle of Midway (Switch) 
6. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch)
7. Owlboy (Switch)
8. Quiplash (PC)
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
11. Little Nightmares (PC)
12. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - Complete Edition (PS4)
13. TowerFall (Switch)
14. Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
15. Mario Party Superstars (Switch)

Games Finished in 2021:
16. (1.) Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix (PS4) - 1.18
17. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (PS4) - 2.11
18. Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories (PS4) - 3.7
19. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS) - 3.25
20. (5.)  Return of the Obra Dinn (PS4) - 4.3
21. The Last Blade 2 (PS4) - 4.7
22. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GC) - 4.12
23. Night in the Woods (PC) - 4.17
24. New Super Luigi U. (Wii U) - 5.26
25. (10.) Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix (PS4) - 5.30
26. Super Mario Sunshine (Switch) - 5.30 
27. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage (PS4) - 6.6
28. Far From Noise (PC) - 6.18
29. Shantae (Switch) - 6.21
30. (15.) Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - 6.28
31. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD (PS4) - 7.11
32. Kingdom Hearts III (PS4) - 8.14
33. Super Mario 64 (Switch) - 9.6
34. Magic the Gathering: Shandalar (PC) - 9.12
35. (20.) The Last of Us Part II (PS4) - 10.25
36. NES Remix Pack (Wii U) - 10.31
37. Dujanah (PC) - 11.4
38. Sky: Children of the Light (Switch) - 12.29
39. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - 12.31

Other
Kingdom Hearts Chi Back Cover
Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded

Final Stats

Previous Lists
2015 List - 27 finished, + 10 played but not finished
2016 List - 32 finished, + 16 played but not finished
2017 List - 26 finished, + 13 played but not finished
2018 List - 23 finished, + 6 played but not finished
2019 List - 20 finished, + 9 played but not finished
2020 List - 45 finished, + 10 played but not finished
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:55:48 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 11:25:25 am »
Previous 52 Game Challenges: 2020

01. Ring Fit Adventure || Nintendo Switch || 01.02.21
02. Golf Story || Nintendo Switch || 01.07.21
03. Flipping Death || Nintendo Switch || 01.09.21
04. Severed || PlayStation Vita || 01.11.21
05. Feel the Magic: XY/XX || Nintendo DS || 01.13.21
06. Ultimate Chicken Horse || Nintendo Switch || 01.30.21
07. Wandersong || Nintendo Switch || 02.11.21
08. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening || Nintendo Switch || 02.21.21
09. Never Alone || PlayStation 4 || 02.24.21
10. Astro's Playroom || PlayStation 5 || 03.04.21
11. Bugsnax || PlayStation 5 || 03.09.21
12. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope || Nintendo Switch || 03.17.21
13. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows || Nintendo Switch || 03.24.21
14. Bound || PlayStation 4 || 03.26.21
15. Little Nightmares II || PlayStation 4 || 04.12.21
16. Ring Fit Adventure (NG+) || Nintendo Switch || 04.20.21
17. Threads of Fate || PlayStation || 04.20.21
18. Touhou Hyouibana: Antinomy of Common Flowers || Nintendo Switch || 04.21.21
19. Desert Child || PlayStation 4 || 05.01.21
20. Road to Guangdong || Nintendo Switch || 05.21.21
21. Sayonara Wild Hearts || Nintendo Switch || 05.24.21
22. Coffee Talk || PlayStation 4 || 05.29.21
23. Katamari Damacy Reroll || Nintendo Switch || 06.13.21
24. Persona 5 Royal || PlayStation 4 || 06.16.21
25. Catherine: Full Body || PlayStation 4 || 06.25.21
26. Sky: Children of Light || Nintendo Switch || 07.04.21
27. Wide Ocean Big Jacket || Nintendo Switch || 07.09.21
28. Pikuniku || Nintendo Switch || 07.14.21
29. Guacamelee! 2 || PlayStation 4 || 07.21.21
30. Doodle Champion Island Games || Browser || 07.31.21
31. Kentucky Route Zero || Nintendo Switch || 08.08.21
32. What the Golf? || Nintendo Switch || 08.15.21
33. Kuukiyomi: Consider It || Nintendo Switch || 08.27.21
34. Psychonauts || PlayStation 4 || 09.11.21
35. The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series: The Final Season || PlayStation 4 || 10.20.21
36. Until Dawn || PlayStation 4 || 10.27.21
37. 2064: Read Only Memories || PlayStation 4 || 10.29.21
38. Untitled Goose Game || Nintendo Switch || 10.31.21
39. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan || PlayStation 4 || 11.17.21
40. Carto || Nintendo Switch || 11.23.21
41. SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom || PlayStation 2 || 11.28.21
42. PaRappa the Rapper || PlayStation || 11.30.21
43. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope || PlayStation 4 || 12.01.21
44. The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes || PlayStation 5 || 12.02.21
45. South Park: The Stick of Truth || PlayStation 4 || 12.10.21
46. Hexceed || Nintendo Switch || 12.20.21
47. South Park: The Fractured but Whole || PlayStation 4 || 12.21.21
48. Um Jammer Lammy || PlayStation || 12.27.21
49. PaRappa the Rapper 2 || PlayStation 2 || 12.29.21
50. Major Minor's Majestic March || Wii || 12.30.21
51. WTF: Work Time Fun || PlayStation Portable || 12.31.21
52. Burnout 3: Takedown || PlayStation 2 || 12.31.21
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:13:14 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:39 am »

Less than two weeks before the start of the new year, I don't see what the big deal is.
Other than just chatting about what we're planning next year, which I think almost no one does historically, we're just reserving posts 2 weeks before we'll have anything of value to put in them.

Because there have been so, so many other posts in recent months, and half have been such high quality posts from the likes of Oldgamerz and Seether. I'd really hate to add a post whose value won't be realized for another 10-days or so!

::)

shfan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 11:53:11 am »
Previous Years

2020 - 33 beaten, 20 tried and discarded
2019 - 45 beaten, 34 tried and discarded
2018 - 44 beaten, 41 tried and discarded
2017 - 37 beaten, 9 tried and discarded
2016 - 21 beaten

Games beaten

01] Resident Evil 3 (remake) (PS4) |16 Jan| Replay with the ammo maker tool, had abundant ammo this time!
02] Mount & Blade: Warband (PS4) |24 Jan| No surprises here, one of my all time favourites replayed yet again.
03] Daymare 1998 (PS4) |5 Feb| Basically a budget RE2/3 Remake clone, had a lot of fun despite technical glitches and a few tough sections.
04] Drox Operative (STM) |19 Feb| Endlessly replayable, but beaten umpteen randomly generated scenarios and spent enough time on it to have beaten a standard game.
05] Shikhondo: Soul Eater (PS4) |13 Mar| Replay using the other playable character, bog standard vertical shooter, nothing outstanding nor bad about it.
06] Unholy Heights (STM) |16 Mar| Really original take on the tower defense genre, well presented too, happy!
07] Resident Evil VIII (PS4) |12 May| Bloody fantastic game, pity it's taken 2 months to beat a game -.- Disaster.
08] Chaos Legion (PS2) |20 May| Flawed but still one of my favourite PS2-era games, haven't played through this one in a decade, had forgotten so much!
09] Moero Crystal H (NSW) |30 May| Bonus beaten game for the month, unexpectedly managed to progress massively after picking it up again a week ago.
10] Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (STM) |3 Jun| Double digits at last and a massive undertaking for me, really pleased to have played the original AoE through properly at last.
11] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NSW) |19 Jun| Heavy duty nostalgia from this one, almost emotional at points, a real treat to play through.
12] The Final Station (STM) |25 Jun| They made a hash of the ending but it was a great game and another I'm very pleased to have had the opportunity to play through.
13] Tesla vs Lovecraft (STM) |14 Jul| Twin stick shooter. Fun.
14] Katamari Damacy Reroll (STM) |23 Jul| We never got the original Katamari in PAL territories, so it's interesting to have played through it at last via Steam.
15] Lewdapocalypse (STM) |20 Aug| NSFW click to shoot skit of RE3, not exactly the highlight of my gaming year..
16] Basement (STM) |28 Aug| This on the other hand is a cracking but hard as nails strategy games where you have to produce and sell narcotics and deal with gangsters.
17] Undead Horde (STM) |8 Sep| Imagine Overlord but on a smaller scale and with skellies instead of minions and you've got this, fun game.
18] Castle in the Clouds (STM) |1 Dec| Risque metroidvania, surprisingly good game in its own rights, NES-ish visuals.

Games Tried/Disliked/Got Rid Of

01] Sparklite (NSW) |11 Jan| Liteweight. Like a lot of these randomised games, there's not enough meat on the bones to be at all interesting.
02] Distrust (PS4) |24 Jan| Fiddly controls, less than compelling gameplay, not terrible but certainly not something I could be bothered to keep playing.
03] Fade to Silence (PS4) |6 Feb| Overall really intrigued, came across a couple of deal-breakers though, pity.
04] Intruders: Hide and Seek (PS4) |20 Feb| The game itself is OK, but the restart points on failing are eye-watering, deal breaker.
05] NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (PS2) |13 Mar| One of the most pointless games played in living memory - cheapest final boss ever, horrid looking character sprites - why did they bother?
06] Swords of Destiny (PS2) |1 Apr| Was enjoying this hack and slash game until I hit upon a part I couldn't get by no matter how hard I tried.
07] 10,000 Bullets (PS2) |20 May| Rare. Also: shit.
08] 198X (STM) |30 Aug| Homage to 80s arcade games, featuring a handful of bite-sized games, looks gorgeous but the games themselves are mostly poor imitations.
09] Disaster Report 4 (NSW) |8 Sep| Just plain disaster, took a really quirky and fun game series and squeezed out a shonky walking simulator instead, no thanks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:09:18 pm by shfan »

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 12:06:45 pm »
1. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PS4) - Beat / Jan. 22
2. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (Switch) - Beat / Feb. 4
3. Injustice 2 (XB1) - Beat / Jan. 23
4. Control (XB1) - Beat / Jan. 29
5. Minecraft (PC) - Endless
6. 1943: The Battle of Midway (Switch) - Beat / Feb. 19
7. Deadpool (XB1) - Beat / Feb. 26
8. Hitman (2016) (PS4) - Beat / Feb. 28
9. Bulletstorm - Full Clip Edition (PS4) - Beat / Mar. 7
10. Hitman 2 (PS4) - Beat / Mar. 12
11. Cyber Shadow (XB1) - Beat / Mar. 17
12. River City Girls (XB1) - Beat / Mar. 22
13. Super Mario World (SNES Mini) - Beat / Apr. 1
14. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC) - Beat / May 7
15. Super RubberRoss World (Switch - SMM2) - Beat / May 13
16. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (JPN) (Switch) - Beat / May 21
17. Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) - Beat / June 6
18. Splinter Cell: Conviction (XB1) - Beat / June 10
19. Maneater (XB1) - Beat / June 14
20. Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance (XB1) - Abandoned / June 23
21. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4) - Beat /July 7
22. Horizon Chase Turbo (PS4) - Beat / July 12
23. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) - Playing
24. Far Cry 2 (XB1) - Beat / July 27
25. PC Building Simulator (PC) - Endless
26. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - Beat / July 29
27. Shadow of the Colossus (2018) (PS5) - Beat / Aug. 3
28. Hollow Knight (PS5) - Beat / Aug. 13
29. Resident Evil Village (PS5) - Beat / Aug. 29
30. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS5) - Beat / Sept. 3
31. Far Cry 3 (PC) - Beat / Sept. 15
32. Darkest Dungeon (PC) - Beat / Oct. 5
33. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Switch) - Beat / Oct. 10
34. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Switch) - Beat / Oct. 16
35. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2DS XL) - Beat / Oct. 25
36. Little Nightmares (PC) - Beat / Oct. 29
37. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (Switch) - Beat / Nov. 9
38. Zombie Army 4: Dead War (PS5) - Beat / Nov. 20
39. Far Cry 4 (XB1) - Beat / Dec. 8
40. Mortal Shell (PS5) - Beat / Dec. 12
41. Blasphemous (Switch) - Beat / Dec. 23
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 05:16:27 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 12:13:39 pm »
Moving a few things that are slipping out of 2020 and I'll do in 2021.

1 - Cyberpunk 2077 (PC 2020) - DROPPED
2 - Spider-Man: Remastered (PS5 2020) - PLAYING
3 - Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (Switch 2020) - PLAYING
4 - Dark Souls 3 (PS4 2016) - PLAYING
5 - Crash Bandicoot 4 (PS4 2020) - PLAYING
6 - Override 2 (PS5 2020) - DROPPED
7 - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch 2020) - BEAT
8 - Beat Saber (VR 2018) - ENDLESS
9 - Valheim (PC 2021) - ENDLESS
10 - Powered Gear (Arcade 1994) - BEAT
11 - Rainy Season (PC 2020) - BEAT
12 - Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners (VR 2020) - PLAYING
13 - Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4 2015) - DROPPED
14 - Monster Hunter Rise (Switch 2021) - BEAT
15 - Hunt: Showdown (PC 2019) - ENDLESS
16 - Clone Hero (PC 2017) - ENDLESS
17 - Pokemon Snap (Switch 2021) - BEAT
18 - Resident Evil 2 Remake (PC 2019) - BEAT
19 - Resident Evil 7 (PC 2017) - BEAT
20 - Resident Evil: Village (PC 2021) - BEAT
21 - Returnal (PS5 2021) - BEAT
22 - Subnautica: Below Zero (PC 2021) - BEAT
23 - Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5 2021) - BEAT
24 - Chivalry 2 (PC 2021) - ENDLESS
25 - Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA 2004) - BEAT
25 - Super Metroid (SNES 1994) - DROPPED
26 - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Switch 2021) - BEAT
27 - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC 2013) - BEAT
28 - Dead by Daylight (PC 2016) - ENDLESS
29 - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC 2015) - BEAT
30 - Deltarune: Chapter 1 & 2 (PC 2021) - BEAT
31 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PS4 2018) - BEAT
32 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS4 2018) - PLAYING
33 - Death Stranding: Director's Cut (PS5 2021) - BEAT
34 - Metroid Fusion (GBA 2002) - BEAT
35 - Dying Light (PC 2015) - BEAT
36 - Halo: Infinite Multiplayer (PC 2021) - ENDLESS
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:13:44 am by kamikazekeeg »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 01:18:47 pm »
Reserving my spot
1. Red Dead Redemption II [PS4] 9/10
2. Tomb Raider [PS1] 7.5/10
3. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile [PS1] 8/10
4. The Sniper 2 [PS2] 5/10
5. Devil's Third [WiiU] 6.5/10
6. Zelda: Breath of the Wild [WiiU] In progress
7. Demon's Souls [PS5] 8/10
8. Link's Crossbow Training [Wii] 7/10
9. Call of Duty: Finest Hour [PS2] 6.5/10
10. Jet Set Radio Future [XBOX] In progress
11. Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes [Wii] 7/10
12. Sin & Punishment: Star Sucessor [Wii] In progress
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 05:01:53 pm by koemo1 »
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 12:05:16 pm »
I do not want to totally undo my current system, so the idea will be I will start a new game, or finish a previously started game on a Monday. If I beat the game before the end of the week, I'll continue my existing schedule.

Quote from: Ignition365's Modified Legend
bold games are games that have been beaten/endless in 2021
bold games are games that have been beaten/endless in the past but played in 2021

1. Major League Manager
2. Metro 2033 Redux
3. Endless Legend
4. Skyrim LE (68 of 75 achievements)
5. Borderlands 3
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (endless)
7. Civilization V (130 of 286 achievements)
8. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Alien: Isolation
10. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
11. Zaccaria Pinball (endless)
12. Pool of Radiance
13. Eye of the Beholder
14. Eye of the Beholder II
15. Dungeon Hack
16. Big Pharma
17. Fallout
18. Crusader Kings II
19. Borderlands
20. Payday 2
21. Betrayer
22. Serious Sam 3
23. Bioshock 2
24. Borderlands 2
25. Minecraft: Project Ozone 3
26. Just Cause 2
27. Crimzon Clover World Ignition
28. Pinball Arcade (endless)
29. Quake 3
30. Call of Duty: Ghosts
31. Diablo III
32. Cities: Skylines
33. Middle Earth: Shadow or Mordor
34. Aliens: Colonial Marines
35. Pinball FX2 (endless)
36. Bulletstorm (Steam version requires crack to play, didn't trust it)
37. Anomaly Warzone Earth Mobile Campaign
38. Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders
39. Control
40. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
41. Prison Architect
42. Aliens vs Predator
43. Magicka 2
44. The Banner Saga
45. Europa Universalis IV
46. Die Young
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:05:52 pm by tripredacus »

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 04:58:00 pm »
GAMES COMPLETED IN 2021

1. Thunder Cross (Switch)
2. Gunbird 2 (Switch)
3. Deponia (Switch)
4. Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams (Astro City Mini)
5. Air Zonk (PC Engine Core Grafx Mini)
6. Ultraman: Kaijuu Teikoku no Gyakushuu (Famicom Disk System)
7. The Game Paradise (Saturn)
8. Ketsui Deathtiny: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (PS4)
9. Demon's Souls (PS3)
10. Conquests of Camelot (PC)
11. Fire Shark (Mega Drive)
12. M.A.C.E. (Switch)
13. Loom (PC)
14. Twinkle Star Sprites (PS4)
15. Ghost Blade HD (PS4)
16. Diablo II: Resurrected (PC)
17. Simon the Sorcerer (PC)

GAMES ADDED TO COLLECTION IN 2021

1. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Switch)
2. Witch Spring 3 Re:Fine: The Story of the Marionette Witch Eirudy (Switch)
3. Fight of Gods - Special Edition (Switch)
4. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype Definitive Edition - Limited Edition (PS4)
5. SuperEpic: The Entertainment War (Switch)
6. Blaster Master Zero (Switch)
7. Blaster Master Zero II (Switch)
8. Wizard of Legend (Switch)
9. Shantae and the Seven Sirens - Collector's Edition (Switch)
10. Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition (Switch)
11. Itta (Switch)
12. The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa / Arrest of a Stone Buddha (Switch)
13. Citizens Unite!: Earth x Space (Switch)
14. Märchen Forest: Mylne and the Forest Gift - Limited Edition (Switch)
15. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch)
16. The VIC 20 Console
17. Distraint Collection - Limited Edition (Switch)
18. Project Starship X - Limited Edition (PS4)
19. Two Point Hospital - Jumbo Edition (Switch)
20. Atomicrops (Switch)
21. Katanakami (Switch)
22. Forward to the Sky - Limited Edition (Switch)
23. Hades (Switch)
24. Senko no Ronde 2 (PS4)
25. Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (PS4)
26. Ms. Splosion Man (Switch)
27. Senran Kagura Reflexions (Switch)
28. Monster Hunter: Rise - Collector's Edition (Switch)
29. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town - Deluxe Edition (Switch)
30. Scourge Bringer - Limited Edition (Switch)
31. HyperParasite (Switch)
32. Golden Force - Limited Edition (Switch)
33. Coffee Talk - Collector's Edition (Switch)
34. Bladed Fury (Switch)
35. Raiden IV x Mikado Remix - Limited Edition (Switch)
36. Rolling Gunner + Over Power - Complete Edition (Switch)
37. Toaplan Shooters - Collector's Edition (Genesis/Mega Drive)
38. Habroxia 2 - Limited Edition (PS4)
39. Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice (Switch)
40. Tanuki Justice (Switch)
41. Crypt of the NecroDancer - Collector's Edition (Switch)
42. Atelier Dusk Trilogy Deluxe Pack (Switch)
43. Bite the Bullet - Collector's Edition (Switch)
44. Razion EX - Limited Edition (Switch)
45. R-Type Final 2 - Limited Edition (Switch)
46. Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack (Switch)
47. Rival Megagun (Switch)
48. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch)
49. Yuuyoku no Fräulein: Wing of Darkness - Limited Edition (Switch)
50. Little Dragons Café - Limited Edition (Switch)
51. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition (Switch)
52. Shantae - Collector's Edition (Switch)
53. Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut - Collector's Edition (Switch)
54. Dead Tomb (NES)
55. Legend of the Skyfish (Switch)
56. My Aunt is a Witch (PS4)
57. Void Gore (PS4)
58. SaGa Frontier Remastered (Switch)
59. Biler: Ræs I Kølerkildekøbing (V.Smile)
60. Peter Plys: Honningjagten (V.Smile)
61. Byggemand Bob: Bobs Travle Dag (V.Smile)
62. Cinderella: Askepots Magiske Ønsker (V.Smile)
63. Den Lille Havfrue: Ariels Majestætiske Rejse! (V.Smile)
64. Mickey Mouse: Mickeys Magiske Eventyr (V.Smile)
65. Thomas & Friends: Togene Arbejder Sammen (V.Smile)
66. Unruly Heroes - Limited Collector's Edition (Switch)
67. Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX - Signature Edition (Switch)
68. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - HD Remaster (Switch)
69. Chicken Police: Paint it Red! (Switch)
70. The Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse - Special Reserve Box (Switch)
71. Crossing Souls - Special Reserve Box (Switch)
72. Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World (Switch)
73. Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story - Limited Edition (Switch)
74. Arc of Alchemist (Switch)
75. Megadimension Neptunia VII (Switch)
76. Mighty Gunvolt Burst - Collector’s Edition (Switch)
77. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Switch)
78. Chasm - Classic Edition (Switch)
79. The Mummy Demastered - Collector's Edition (Switch)
80. Doom 64 (Switch)
81. Carrion (Switch)
82. Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Switch)
83. Grandia HD Collection (Switch)
84. Yaga (PS4)
85. Naruhodo Legends Collection (Switch)
86. Hardcore Mecha (Switch)
87. Eternum EX (Switch)
88. SturmFront: The Mutant War - Übel Edition (PS4)
89. Empire of Angels IV - Limited Edition (Switch)
90. Crawlco Block Knockers (Switch)
91. Hotline Miami Collection (Switch)
92. Cursed Castilla EX - Collector's Edition (Switch)
93. Legend of Mana (Switch)
94. Kitaria Fables (Switch)
95. YesterMorrow (PS4)
96. Task Force Kampas (PS4)
97. Cthulhu Saves Christmas (Switch)
98. Corpse Killer: 25th Anniversary Edition - Collector's Edition (Switch)
99. Metroid Dread - Special Edition (Switch)
100. Hyper Light Drifter - Special Edition (Switch)
101. Panzer Paladin (Switch)
102. Metallic Child (Switch)
103. Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute - Special Edition (Switch)
104. Cat Quest (Switch)
105. Kamiko (Switch)
106. Mary Skelter Finale - Day One Edition (Switch)
107. To the Moon - Collector's Edition (Switch)
108. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Classic Edition (Switch)
109. Afterparty (Switch)
110. Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! (Switch)
111. Shin Megami Tensei V - Fall of Man Premium Edition (Switch)
112. Darius Cozmic Revelation - Collector's Edition (Switch)
113. The Legend of Zelda (Game & Watch)
114. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond / Pokémon Shining Pearl Dual Pack (Switch)
115. Miitopia (Switch)
116. Trigger Witch - Limited Edition (Switch)
117. Death end re;Quest (Switch)
118. Doom: The Classics Collection (Switch)
119. The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition - Collector's Edition (Switch)
120. Dangun Feveron - Collector's Edition (PS4)
121. Dragon Star Varnir (Switch)
122. Shadows of Adam (Switch)
123. Blaster Master Zero III (Switch)
124. Clockwork Aquario (Switch)
125. Gryphon Knight Epic - Definitive Edition (Switch)
126. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Switch)
127. Illvelo Swamp + Radirgy Swag - Limited Edition (Switch)
128. Eastward - Collector's Edition (Switch)
129. Iro Hero (PS4)
130. Bravely Default II (Switch)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:19:53 pm by medisto »