Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2019  (Read 45217 times)

52 Games Challenge 2019
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:05:06 pm »
It's New Year's Eve and that means it's time for a new thread for the VGCollect annual 52 games challenge.

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:05:16 pm »
Met my goal in 2016, 2017, and 2018, with 2016/2017 being 104 games and 2018 being 52 games as the goals.  2015 I tracked the info super late and I had another really busy year that year.  Last year saw some changes in my life and I was unable to put as much time into my backlog as I used to, but I still managed to beat 52 games even though I didn't explicitly set it as my goal.  This year, I'm hoping to continue that trend and hit 52 games again.  I'm not going to explicitly carry over titles from previous years just like last year.  If I start playing such a game again, I'll bring over the info, but I'm not going to clog up my post with that info.

Quote from: Legend
bold games are games that have been beaten, previously beaten, or are unbeatable.
italicized games are in progress.
standard games are games I am not currently trying to beat.
strikethrough games are games that have been abandoned.

2019 52 Game Challenge
  • Ether One (PS4)
  • Moonlighter (NS)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Owlboy (NS)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
  • Tetris Effect (PS4/VR)
  • Dexed (PS4/VR)
  • GNOG (PS4/VR)
  • Spider-man (PS4)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (NS)
  • Tetris 99 (NS)
  • Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
  • Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus (PS4)
  • Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4)
  • Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4)
  • Minesweeper Genius (NS)
  • Resident Evil 0 (PS4)
  • West of Loathing (NS)
  • Snake Pass (NS)
  • Resident Evil HD (PS4)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
  • Golf Story (NS)
  • Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (PS4)
  • Scooby Doo Mystery (SNES)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (NS)
  • Sekiro (PS4)
  • Fairune (NS)
  • Sekiro (PS4)
  • Fairune 2 (NS)
  • Fairune Origin (NS)
  • Fairune Blast (NS)
  • Reverie (NS)
  • WWE 2K16 (X1)
  • WWE 2K17 (X1)
  • Lili: Child of Geos (PS4)
  • Far Cry: New Dawn (X1)
  • Mortal Kombat XL (X1)
  • Injustice (PS4)
  • Injustice 2 (PS4)
  • Mortal Kombat 11 (X1)
  • Cosmic Star Heroine (NS)
  • Kamiko (NS)
  • Burnout Paradise (360)
  • My Girlfriend is a Mermaid (NS)
  • Final Fantasy IX (PS4)
  • Minefield (PS4)
  • Last Day of June (PS4)
  • Slime-San (NS)
  • Rage 2 (X1)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (X1)
  • Aeero (PS4)
  • A Normal Lost Phone (NS)
  • Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (X1)
  • Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story (NS)
  • The Grand Tour Game (X1)
  • Octopath Traveler (NS)
  • God of War (PS3)
  • God of War II (PS3)
  • God of War: Chains of Olympus (PS3)
  • God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3)
  • God of War: Ascension (PS3)
  • Gears 5 (X1)
  • Control (PS4)
  • Catherine: Full Body (PS4)
  • God of War III Remastered (PS4)
  • Untitled Goose Game (NS)
  • Cube Escape: Seasons (Android)
  • God of War (2018) (PS4)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
  • WWE 2K19 (X1)
  • Legend of Zelda, The: Link's Awakening (NS)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (GCN)
  • Two Eyes (Android)
  • Outer Worlds, The (X1)
  • Tangle Tower (NS)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 HD: Sons of Liberty (X1BC)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 HD: Snake Eater (X1BC)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (X1BC)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (X1)
  • Code Vein (X1)
  • Death Stranding (PS4)
  • Pixel Lines DX: 500 more puzzles (NS)
  • Wreckfest (X1)
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (X1)
  • Days Gone (PS4)
  • The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker (PS4)
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (X1BC)
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4)
  • Flinthook (NS)
  • Mages of Mystralia (PS4)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
  • Sniper Elite 3 (PS4)
  • Code of Princess EX (NS)
  • Wild Arms 3 (PS4)
  • Dragon Quest XI (PS4)

In a continued effort to keep track of my favorite games played each year.

Top Games played that released in 2019
  • Sekiro (PS4)
  • Control (PS4)
  • Code Vein (X1)
  • Rage 2 (X1)
  • Tangle Tower (NS)

Top Games played NOT released in 2019
  • Spider-man (PS4)
  • West of Loathing (NS)
  • Witcher, The 3: The Wild Hunt (X1)
  • Octopath Traveler (NS)

Top Games played overall in 2019
  • Sekiro (PS4)
  • Control (PS4)
  • Spider-man (PS4)
  • Code Vein (X1)

Honorable Mention
  • Cosmic Star Heroine (NS)
  • Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
  • Gears 5 (X1)
  • Golf Story (NS)
  • Lost Phone Stories (NS)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
  • Tangle Tower (NS)
  • Untitled Goose Game (NS)

Games 1-19
Games 20 - 41
Games 42 - 62
Games 63 - 80
Games 81 - Current + Abandoned games
Final Stats

Gonna track my wife's progress too

• Oceanhorn (NS)
  • Steamworld Dig 2 (NS)
  • Moonlighter (NS)
  • West of Loathing (NS)
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Android)
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy (NS)
  • Reverie: Sweet As (NS)
  • Thimbleweed Park (NS)
  • Broken Age (NS)
  • Oxenfree (NS)
  • Goosebumps (NS)
  • Gone Home (NS)
  • Undertale (NS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NS)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NS)
  • Cube Escape: Seasons (Android)
  • Cube Escape: The Lake (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Arles (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Harvey's Box (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Case 23 (Android)
  • Cube Escape: The Mill (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Birthday (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Theatre (Android)
  • Cube Escape: The Cave (Android)
  • Cube Escape: Paradox (Android)
  • Thimbleweed Park (Android)
  • Tangle Tower (NS)
  • Planescape Torment (NS)
  • Piczle Lines DX (NS)
  • Two Eyes (Android)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:32:09 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »
Main List

Quote from: Legend
bold games are games that have been beaten, previously beaten, or are unbeatable.
italicized games are in progress.
standard games are games I am not currently trying to beat.
strikethrough games are games that have been abandoned.

1. Ether One (PS4)
Beat this one on New Years, but completely forgot about it because I sorta just purged this game from my mind.  Game isn't terrible per se, but I just wasn't into it and then I got to a point where there was a puzzle to complete and I couldn't find the answer.  I looked online and every response with an answer said that the answer to the puzzle isn't in the game and that you just have to trial and error until you get it right.  At that point I decided I was done with the game and just beat it about 15 minutes later, complaining the entire time.  Made my wife pretty angry because she really likes this game, but I can't stand it because of that.
Rating: Highly recommended... that you never touch this game... because it sucks.

2. Moonlighter (NS)
Decided to jump into this and I'm not sure why.  I was in the mood to play another Metroidvania game, so I started up Salt and Sanctuary, but I kinda wasn't feeling a Dark Souls metroidvania, so I abandoned it for the time being.  I'm really enjoying this game.  It's part Link's Awakening and part Harvest Moon with a little Binding of Isaac.  I'd consider this game rogue-ish or rogue-lite.  The dungeons are procedurally generated every time you enter, but I think when you die you just exit the dungeon having lost what you've collected and maybe your money, idk, I've yet to die with anything.  You exit the dungeon using a teleport device, but it costs money to leave, so you have to make sure you enter the dungeon with enough money to teleport out or you might wind up screwed.  The game does provide you a way to gain cash inside the dungeon, but it isn't efficient.  When you exit the dungeon you can go and open up your shop and sell what you collected in the dungeon.  The money you earn can be used to upgrade the town, your shop, or you.  Town and shop is pure money, upgrading town gives you new shops to buy from and upgrading your shop provides you manners of earning more money or improving yourself.  Upgrading yourself requires money and resources, so you have to manage keeping some resources for upgrades and selling what you don't need.  There's no permadeath aspect to this game, but I imagine if you die you lose a lot of resources and money.
Rating: Recommended.

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
I've been having the urge to play the old DKC games, and for sure I only know that I've beaten DKC1 before, I can't recall on DKC2 and I know for a fact that I've never beaten DKC3 because of my brother.  So I started it up a couple of days ago and beat it over the course of two evenings.  I did take a lot of breaks because I was getting sorta bored with the game.  Hopefully 2 and 3 can keep my attention better, but I find that linear platformer games generally lose my interest pretty quickly.
Rating: Recommended, it's a retro staple.

4. Owlboy (NS)
I'm still doing the intro to this game, but holy fuck does everybody hate this guy.  Writing this up well after I finished the game.  The controls of this game can be quite frustrating, particularly if you are a Smash player who doesn't use tap jump.  Both Up on the D-pad/Stick jumps and the jump button, so if you press jump and then up and jump, Owlboy will throw out his wings to fly and then immediately put them away and fall.  There is also a cannon mini-game, which is optional, that is frustrating in that the controls for it aren't... intuitive, I really can't explain it any better than that.  The game also has no map of any kind, so back tracking to find stuff just isn't reasonable.  Calling this game a metroidvania is being lenient with the term.  There is no back tracking, upgrades don't really exist, the game is largely linear, there is hardly an overworld, none of the areas interconnect, there's no map, equipment needed to access new areas are just given to you.  This is like a baby's first metroidvania.  Game is overall kind of disappointing if you put it to that comparison.  Even the combat in the game is sort of confusing and disappointing.  The only upside is that the story is pretty good, there are a couple of twists, and the ending is relatively nice.
Rating: Meh. Soft recommendation, it isn't terrible, but there are other games that are more worthy of your time.

5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
Okay, first off, I've played this game a ton through my life and I just found out when playing this that the game is not called "Diddy Kong's Quest", it's called "Diddy's Kong Quest" like a pun on Conquest.  That fucked me up a little bit.  Don't really know what to say about this game, it's a lot more of the same from the first game, though Dixie does kind of lighten the difficulty with her helicopter hair.  Some of the levels are devilishly difficult and the levels in general seem longer than they were in the previous game.
Rating: Recommended, but definitely a scenario where the original is better than the sequel.

6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
Wife's cousin and my nephew were over this past weekend for PAX South and we played Smash for quite a bit.  It's weird adding Smash every year given that I don't really DO anything with it other than just play matches, but I play a ton of Smash throughout the year, more than I spend in most games.
Rating: Obviously recommended.

7. Tetris Effect (PS4/VR)
Started playing this right before PAX in VR, and then during PAX I played it outside of VR, and then I beat it outside of VR.  Game is solid on its own, but the VR is what really makes this game.  Story mode is rather short at only like 5-7 levels.  Effects mode has about 10 different modes you can play which are all pretty interesting, but the game doesn't have much replay value outside of just seeing cool visuals, beating your high scores, or listening to the dope music.
Rating: Highly recommended for VR, recommended in general.

8. Dexed (PS4/VR)
I believe this game is VR only, I can't recall if I attempted to play the game outside of VR, but it really seems like it would work outside of VR.  Throughout my playthrough I kept getting confused on which trigger fired off which element, that was my main pratfall with this game.  Not much to this game other than that it's an on rails shooter.  It's also incredibly short at 5 levels.
Rating: Soft Pass.

9. GNOG (PS4/VR)
Pronounced as nog.  This game appears to be VR optional, as at some point I sort of did one puzzle outside of VR.  This game is fun on its own, but like Tetris Effect, the VR kind of MAKES this game.  After each puzzle you get this little outro thing for the puzzle that does some trippy animations that just can't be appreciated outside of VR.  I think the intros to the puzzles have a similar thing.  The music in this game is also pretty great and the puzzles are really cool.  I'd honestly compare this game's content to Statik VR, but this might honestly have more puzzles.

10. Spider-man (PS4)
Decided to jump into this one because I've been super interested, all of the DLC appears to be out, and Laura Bailey voices Mary Jane.  Something about MJ's facial animations reminds me of Ryder's animations in Mass Effect Andromeda, it feels almost laughable sometimes.  This is my first time playing a Spider-man game, I own a lot of them, but I've never played one yet.  The open world stuff is fun and feels very reminiscent of the Infamous titles and the combat is almost tit for tat the Batman Arkham games.  The game is slightly weird to me that it isn't a Spider-man origin story, but it's also the origin of some of his biggest villains.  Characters are cool, story is cool, and gameplay is cool.  Overall a cool game.  I got the platinum on my first playthrough, so it is a quick, easy, and enjoyable platinum to earn.  Working on the DLC, finished the first DLC with 100% completion with the final mission.  Preparing to do the same thing with the second DLC.  Looking forward to jumping into the 3rd DLC.  Not looking forward to the combat in the new DLC though.  Each DLC seems to bring about new enemies that are more frustrating than the last.  Specifically a Big Enemy with a Minigun and an enemy with a shield, jetpack, and leaves an electro trail that disables your gadgets and provides AoE damage.
Rating: Highly recommended.

11. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (NS)
Finished up Owlboy and decided to jump into another platformer.  I'm really enjoying playing platformers on the Switch and I'm actually kind of going big on platformers in generally lately, I'll probably get burned out at some point and need to go play something else.  Game appears to be fairly reminiscent of Wonder Boy 3... but I suspect that's the point. This game is super bland, repetitive, and just overall frustrating.  I'd consider abandoning the game if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying not to abandon games in general.  I have no interest in playing this game ever again, so when I finish, I'll probably sell it.  Finally finished this god awful game.  Went at the final boss and beat him, game proceeded to just show a black screen and nothing happened when it was supposed to load the ending.  So I had to restart the game and beat the boss again.  Very angering.  Beat the boss in a couple of minutes because really he wasn't the hard the second time around knowing what I needed to do.  This game does a lot of interesting things, it's really close to being a fantastic game, but there are just too many things that make this game just plain unbearable.  Some enemies are frustratingly difficult to fight.  1 boss in particular is just an exercise in futility.  And everything deals so much god damned damage.
Rating: Hard Pass, just go play Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

12. Tetris 99 (NS)
This is one I want to not count, but I will.  I played a couple of rounds.  Got 2nd place on my first round and then sucked my second round because I was so flustered from the first round.  1st round ended with me having a perfect opportunity for tetris, but I kept pressing the swap block button instead of the rotate button and wound up laying the long block sideways instead of making tetris.  I proceeded to immediately lose, because I was so flustered.  It's an interesting implementation of Tetris and who can argue with free, but is it really worth your time?
Rating: Soft Pass.

13. Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
I've seen so many memes and heard so many people talk about how much they liked this game... but it was never enough to get me to play it... but the Assassin's Festival going away forever was enough to get me to start playing it... and I'm really enjoying it.  I'm playing 2 JRPG games at the same time, and I'm not feeling any fatigue yet.  Luckily FFXV doesn't play like usual JRPG games and is way more action oriented.  I'm enjoying the characters and their bantering, the battling feels a bit like what Dragon Age SHOULD be, instead of an R2/RT simulator.  Managed to get to Chapter 8 and do the Assassin's Festival before it went away.  Currently Abandoned in favor of waiting for the Royal Edition.  Now that Royal Edition has been released and it's been confirmed to not be on disc, this game might be permanently abandoned due to poor decisions by Squeenix.  Was going to pick up the Royal Edition to finish this, but Squeenix confirmed that there will continue to be new paid content for FFXV, but this content won't release for free for Royal Edition owners, so I'd still have to buy extra content, so indefinitely abandoned until we get Royal Edition 2... assuming that's finally the complete edition.  Finally bought the Royal Edition during BF last year, mostly because the second season pass was mostly cancelled, except Episode Noctis, I think.  Jumped back in and finished the story.  Took a bit to get back into the game, and re learn the controls, but I started to really enjoy myself after not too long.  I couldn't remember a lot of the story and characters, so some stuff was confusing.  This is a large part of why I'm trying to abandon fewer and fewer games in general.  Realized that other than story related stuff, I was pretty damned close to the platinum trophy for this game, so I decided to go for it.  At this point, I just need to do the cooking and fishing trophies, which shouldn't take me more than a couple of hours, I think.  Finishing the cooking trophy, didn't take but maybe 20 minutes of just repeatedly cooking at camp.  Only have the fishing trophy left and I'm at level 8 right now, so maybe an hour of fishing should do it.  Working on two fishing quests right now, so that'll probably fulfill the rest of what I need as they are both legendary level fish.  The game does appear to be finicky with when it decides to autosave, so be vigilant and save often.  I've had to repeat multiple days of effort multiple times towards the end for various reasons.  Also Regalia Type F is useless and quite dangerous if you don't save often.

14. Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus (PS4)
As much as this takes place during the main story, it's its own content separate of the main story and has its own credits, so I count it along with all of the other DLC.  DLC takes roughly 1-2 hours, my time was 3 hours and change because I left the game running for an hour or 2 while doing other stuff.  Pretty quick and pretty basic.  Only wound up getting one trophy from it, because the trophies are more complex here than the main game.  Story is interesting, but I wouldn't call it necessary.
Rating: Soft Pass, but if you really want every bit of story you can get, Soft recommendation.

15. Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto (PS4)
Seems these stories take place during the main story when the respective characters disappear for a while.  Interesting story that really delves into Prompto's history and I suppose his psyche.  Combat is interesting and this gives Aranea some character, which I felt like the main game didn't really do.  But again, unless you're invested in these characters, this DLC doesn't do much to add to the overall story of the game.  I didn't really get into the open world at the beginning of this DLC so I probably missed a good bit of content that could have been extracted from this.
Rating: Soft Pass, but if you really want every bit of story you can get, Soft recommendation.

16. Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (PS4)
Thinking about it, Ignis never disappeared during the story, but an event happened to him that never really got explained, so it's obvious that this would be that story.  This DLC felt more inspired than the previous as there is more to do with it's short open world Chapter 1.  I didn't do too much in that open world-ish section, so I might've missed content, but I don't feel like it would've made much of a difference.  The ending seems to explain what happened and overall it's super interesting and kinda badass and weird that it never came up in the main game, but maybe nobody knew but Ignis.  The Chapter 3, Verse 2 is where the magic happens though.  It's an alternative telling of the story of the game... and it's actually kind of badass, I definitely wouldn't go and call it the better ending, but it is very interesting.
Rating: Soft Recommendation as it portrays an alternate story if you do the Verse 2 section.

17. Minesweeper Genius (NS)
Played this game at PAX South and really enjoyed it... enough so that I knew I'd wind up buying the game shortly after it came out.  It's a part minesweeper, part sudoku, part maze game.  Will probably wind up 100% completing this game when I'm done with it.  There isn't really much to say about this game, it's a puzzle game with fairly simple mechanics with a couple hundred puzzles.  If you fail a puzzle or retry, you get a new puzzle, so every playthrough is technically different.  Game has replayability with custom levels.  I expect to try and do the hardest custom puzzle when I finish the campaign.  100% completed the game and even did what I could construe as the hardest puzzle type I could come up with.  Enjoyable.
Rating: Soft Pass unless you like puzzle games, then highly recommended.

18. Resident Evil 0 (PS4)
I really want to try and work on the Resident Evil franchise this year, but with my little kid getting to an age where he's paying attention to everything, I can only play this game while he's asleep.  Started this up last night after he went to bed and played quite a bit, never played it before, so I don't know how long the game is or if it ever really leaves the train.  I'm a decent hour or two into the game though.  I'm quickly reminded how much of a pain in the ass the limited inventory mechanic is though.  I enjoyed a lot of the mechanics of this game, but I also really get annoyed with the constant inventory management.  Makes me feel like ZombiU was a modern take on this old RE mechanic.  Game wasn't terrible, and having started Resident Evil HD, I yearn for how well this game played.  I want to read up on what happens with these characters after the end of the game, but I kind of don't want to spoil things.  I think Rebecca comes back in other games, but I get her confused with Claire a lot.
Rating: Good, not so survival horror, but good nonetheless

19. West of Loathing (NS)
Decided to pop this in and give it a try because I read a lot of good things about it.  Another instance where I start to finished a game before writing anything up about it.  This game is pretty freaking fun and funny.  I went a very standard route on my playthrough, essentially being a fighter.  But at the end of the game I did all of the necromancy stuff and wound up destroying a perfectly good character and got sorta mad about it.  Now I know better and I might play through again as a different class now that I know different things.  Seems like a game that could be enjoyable to playthrough multiple times with different classes and stuff.  The game does fairly quickly throw you into situations that just straight up can't be done because you didn't know to be prepared or you couldn't be prepared because you made some decision earlier on, and it doesn't matter the decision, it will wind up closing certain doors elsewhere essentially.  Made my wife really mad when she played, but you don't really miss out on anything I think.
Rating: I really enjoyed this game a lot.  Highly Recommended.

Next List
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:17:00 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:07:34 pm »
Moving over Iconoclasts and Kingdom Hearts 2 over to this year to start things off.

-------------------------
GREEN - BEATEN - The games story or core experience has been finished.
BLUE - PLAYING - In the process of playing the game.
BLACK - ENDLESS/MULTIPLAYER - Games with no clear ending or purely for online multiplayer.
RED - DROPPED - Either hated the game, lost interest, or found reasons to quit.

-------------------------

1 - Iconoclasts (PS4 2018) - DROPPED
2 - Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4 2017) - BEAT
3 - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4 2018) - DROPPED
4 - ZeroRanger (PC 2018) - BEAT
5 - Resident Evil 2 (PC 2019) - BEAT
6 - Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4 2019) - BEAT
7 - Metro Exodus (PC 2019) - BEAT
8 - Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC 2017) - DROPPED
9 - Devil May Cry V (PS4 2019) - BEAT
10 - Bayonetta (PC 2017) - DROPPED
11 - Crypt of the Necrodancer (PC 2015) - BEAT
12 - Sekiro (PS4 2019) - BEAT
13 - Far Cry: New Dawn (PC 2019) - BEAT
14 - State of Decay 2 (PC 2018) - BEAT
15 - Blaster Master Zero 2 (Switch 2019) - BEAT
16 - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4 2019) - BEAT
17 - Days Gone (PS4 2019) - BEAT
18 - Godzilla (PS4 2014) - BEAT
19 - Castlevania (NES/Switch 2019) - BEAT
20 - Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES/Switch 2019) - BEAT
21 - Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES/Switch 2019) - BEAT
22 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Gameboy/Switch 2019) - BEAT
23 - Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge (Gameboy/Switch 2019) - BEAT
24 - Super Castlevania (SNES/Switch 2019) - BEAT
25 - Cadence of Hyrule (Switch 2019) - BEAT
26 - Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis/Switch 2019) - BEAT
27 - Godzilla Unleashed (PS2 2007) - BEAT
28 - Darksiders 3 (PC 2018) - BEAT
29 - DayZ (PC 2018) - ENDLESS
30 - Mutant: Year Zero (PC 2018) - DROPPED
31 - Astral Chain (Switch 2019) - BEAT
32 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4 2019) - BEAT
33 - Borderlands 3 (PC 2019) - BEAT
34 - Inside (PC 2016) - BEAT
35 - Gears of War 4 (PC 2016) - BEAT
36 - The Outer Worlds (PC 2019) - BEAT
37 - Gears 5 (PC 2019) - BEAT
38 - Death Stranding (PS4 2019) - BEAT
39 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC 2019) - BEAT
40 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC 2019) - BEAT
41 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (PC 2019) - BEAT
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:50:00 pm by kamikazekeeg »

shfan

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »
Previous Years

2018 - 44 beaten, 41 tried and discarded
2017 - 37 beaten, 9 tried and discarded
2016 - 21 beaten

Games beaten

01] The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix (PS4) |1 Jan| Beaten on what must be arrange mode, the original arcade version was just ridiculous.
02] Saw: The Video Game (360) |11 Jan| Enjoyed it, another hidden gem. This is already taking too long between games being beaten though!
03] Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space (Vita) |14 Jan| Good fun as EDF games always are, so far so fine, still need to pick up the pace.
04] This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4) |22 Jan| Yet another replay of one of my favourite PS4 games, finally got January's share completed, need to keep up the pace.
05] Resident Evil 2 (Remake) (PS4) |27 Jan| Excellent game, really happy to have picked it up as a day-1 purchase, hopefully they'll remake Nemesis too.
06] Final Fight (PS4) |27 Jan| Aged poorly, enemies only have to fart in your general direction to halve your energy bar, still, fond memories.
07] The King of Dragons (PS4) |29 Jan| Not one that our local arcades had, have enjoyed it on emulators and retro packs in the past though.
08] Captain Commando (PS4) |29 Jan| Now this one's a childhood favourite, always reminds me of the movie They Live too, which is no bad thing, nice.
09] Warriors of Fate (PS4) |30 Jan| Never played this one, good to play another game based on the three kingdoms era China, enjoyed it.
10] Knights of the Round (PS4) |31 Jan| Another one I played on retro game packs and emulators, good to play it again.
11] Armored Warriors (PS4) |1 Feb| Emulated in the past, good to play it again, fun beat em up.
12] Battle Circuit (PS4) |3 Feb| and that's the end of the beat 'em up collection, have to go back to longer games now, if I can find the time. Good game.
13] Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype (Vita) |9 Feb| Replay, handy when I was waiting in the car.
14] Earth Defense Force 5 (PS4) |12 Feb| A gem, the best EDF game by a mile, well impressed.
15] Ice Cream Surfer (Vita) |13 Feb| Decent little shmup, enjoyed it.
16] Skyhill (PS4) |13 Feb| Tough randomized game, managed to get to the bottom of the tower on Easy. (It wasn't 'easy', even then!)
17] Riddled Corpses EX (Vita) |21 Feb| Frantic lo-fi twin-stick shooter, repetitive due to having to grind for cash, but still it's been good (un)clean fun.
18] Doom (PS4) |2 Mar| Decent sized game, basically Dead Space on triple speed, enjoyed it, took a lot longer to get through than I thought it would.
19] Ape Escape 2 (PS2) |2 Mar| Surprisingly challenging, played this back in the day but I doubt I beat it. Really great to have access to my PS2 games again, so many gems.
20] Fighting Angels (PS2) |16 Mar| Cheesy ultra-budget wrestling/fighting game, was still fun.
21] Bloodborne (PS4) |23 Mar| Wow, that was one hell of a journey! Definitely a stand-out game and one which was a real pleasure to explore.
22] Resident Evil 5 (PS4) |5 Apr| NG+ replay, had a blast again, the endgame does suddenly appear pretty abruptly, but great fun nonetheless.
23] Bio Hazard Battle (PS4) |11 Apr| Had to use the rewind function on the PS4 MD game pack just to get to the end, this game is mad fast, managed to get there after much slogging.
24] Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (PC) |28 Apr| Replay after God knows how many years, really enjoyed playing an RTS campaign after so long, excellent as I vaguely remember it.
25] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4) |4 May| Replay on survival (next hardest above normal) difficulty, first time I beat an RE game on more than normal difficulty, really good to replay this.
26] Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC) |20 May| Ugh, the last mission was such a slog it dragged the game down a bit, just pointless back and forth -.-
27] Feeding Frenzy (360) |29 May| Been god knows how long since I played this game, munched through the main mode in an evening, good clean fun.
28] Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) |9 Jul| A cracking game, not perfect by any standard, but a good SOTN clone with its own feel.
29] Alien Shooter: Vengeance (PC) |19 Jul| Mindless blasting, just what I needed.
30] Drivegirls (Vita) |7 Aug| Playable enough, not a lot else to say about it.
31] Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4) |24 Aug| I think there's at least 2 full games worth of content in here, but I got there eventually, very good.
32] Build-a-lot (PC) |1 Sep| Great casual game from back in the day, pleased to have seen it through to the end. Woefully behind now though, probably won't match last year's.
33] Time Crisis 4 (PS3) |5 Sep| Been awhile since a light gun game appeared here, they make a nice change from mechanic-heavy games.
34] Katamari Forever (PS3) |16 Sep| Long overdue replay (years I think), I need a break from trying new games all the time, so it's good to go back to something so familiar.
35] Garden Defense (PC) |21 Sep| NG+ replay, managed to beat all levels on normal difficulty but 'perfect', with no bugs reaching the flowers. Excellent tower defence game.
36] Day of Meat (Flash) |22 Sep| Tower defence flash game, semi-automated (more of an upgrade type game), had me hooked.
37] Miss Management (PC) |5 Oct| Finally limped across the finish line in this time management game I used to play a decade ago, tough as hell later on, so stuck to the most basic 'pass' in levels.
38] Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) |7 Oct| Not bad, preferred the original's more open format, but it was still a good game, October's looking like it's going to be OK.
39] Demon's Souls (PS3) |31 Oct| Yep, definitely failing again this year, too many timesinks like this one in the mix, great to finally beat it though!
40] BioShock (PS4) |15 Nov| NG+ replay, must admit the early game was mangled a bit due to being overpowered.
41] Castlevania (Lament of Innocence) (PS2) |22 Nov| Back in the day I had a hissy fit with this one, couldn't get my head around it, GameFAQs to the rescue, really enjoyed it this time.
42] Luigi's Mansion 3 (NSW) |4 Dec| Fantastic game, thoroughly enjoyed playing this one, can't wait to try Mario Odyssey and some other Ninty ones.
43] Final Fantasy Adventure (NSW) |9 Dec| Been what, 20 years since I played through this? One of my forgotten favourites, it was a real treat to play this in the evenings on holiday.
44] Secret of Mana (NSW) |16 Dec| Another one I haven't played in God knows how many years, still fun, but the mechanics haven't aged well at all.
45] Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2) |24 Dec| Beaten late Christmas Eve, this was a great little game, not sure where all the animosity surrounding it comes from.

Games Tried/Disliked/Got Rid Of

01] Gray Matter (360) Adventure game, interesting story but the game is unclear as hell with what it expects of you to progress, turned into an exercise in frustration and examing everything over and over.
02] Zuma (PC) Marble-popper I used to adore years ago, playing it now though it's clear the game has no real 'fairness' to it on later levels, became extremely irritating eventually, bummer.
03] The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix (PS4) I actually found this to be a really sub-par shooter with a stupidly difficult arcade mode to boot, just not enjoyable at all.
04] Corpse Party: Blood Drive (Vita) Really enjoyed the plot, but the game itself is dreadful, stripped-down survival horror to the point it's just cat and mouse in empty halls. Pity.
05] Wasteland 2 (PS4) Not as funny as it thinks it is, limited (and badly tries to disguise the fact), repetitive combat, just didn't enjoy it at all, a real let-down.
06] Deadly Strike (PS2) Unresponsive, poorly put together, boring, unbalanced. It's necessary to grind points (cash) just to make the game playable (and even then it's still dull as hell). Nope.
07] Eternal Quest (PS2) Well-presented but woefully unbalanced Japanese roguelike, goes insane-cakewalk-insane-dead, just a joyless and pointless experience.
08] Daemon Summoner (PS2) Shoestring budget FPS, an instant game-over stealth section on the second level (where it wasn't obvious how I'd messed up) put paid to this one.
09] Wonderboy Returns (PS4) Slipshod production, playable enough, but the bosses are 1-hit annoyances which eventually peed me off enough to drop it onto the trade-in pile.
10] Shogun's Blade (PS2) Mediocre rather than absymal musou type game, but the amount of grinding that would be necessary just to progress through the game massively outstrips how much time it's worth.
11] Bunny Must Die! (PS4) A Metroidvania with rubbish controls, great. Trade-in pile, now.
12] Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) A loan, the juddery-animated tutorial featuring a lumbering 6 year old girl with the face of Val Kilmer was enough to put me off this open-world snorefest.
13] Burn, Zombie, Burn (PC) It took less than two minutes of gameplay to figure out this sub-par twin-stick shooter was inferior to other games I have. So need to check many other games in the collection.
14] Gladiators of Rome (PC) Inoffensive, just not fun and with very limited scope.
15] Resident Evil: Dead Aim (PS2) Awkward to control initially, I mastered the controls soon enough but got well and truly stuck on the end boss, what a waste, the game's too meh to make it worth continuing.
16] Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica (PS2) What the heck is this? It's like a student project not a full-priced official RE game, dreadful!
17] Realm of the Dead (PS2) OK, but then a late-game difficulty spike pushes it into 'nah' territory.
18] Unepic (PC) Sigh, another game I was seriously enjoying, but there's a massive difficulty spike later on and it just got grindy and tedious. Too many games ending up like this during this year!
19] Hunter The Reckoning - Wayward (PS2) Again, this one's inoffensive but I just can't be arsed to trog around fuzzy 3D game worlds looking for random doohickeys just to progress.
20] Fate of Hellas (PC) RTS, started strong, but the first non-tutorial level chucks overwhelming enemies at you right from the off, don't get it, at all.
21] Stranger of Sword City (Vita) Ugh, wilfully painful dungeon RPG which punishes you without you needing to make mistakes. Absolutely cannot be bothered with it.
22] The Surge (PS4) Second time I've picked this up and tried this, there's a lot of aspects of the game I like, but the full package is really not worth the trouble.
23] Never Dead (360) Really not a bad game at all, but just too slow and plodding for me to get excited about. Chaos Legion is my go-to game in this genre and will suffice.
24] Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story (PS4) Fairly decent experience for several hours, but eventually the shallowness of the game's mechanics left me bored with it.
25] Eternal Ring (PS2) Effectively King's Field in all but name, however the game systems are underdeveloped and I pretty quickly ran out of interest, not a 'bad' game, but not good enough.
26] Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PS2) OK for the most part, unbrilliant, but the mandatory hoverboard race after the halfway point just destroyed it, it's so badly designed.
27] Ace of Seafood (PS4) The clunky game design doesn't bother me, it was fun, but after almost beating all the reefs it really got boring and repetitive.
28] Crimson Sea 2 (PS2) Beat the first game a few years ago on Xbox, just can't get my head around this one, ramped difficulty and a poorly dated experience = nah.
29] Bloody Roar 3 (PS2) Not even sure why I got this, I don't even like 1-on-1 fighters, sure enough I'm not a fan of this.
30] Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS) Enjoyable on some levels, but my tolerance for dubious or downright obnoxious game design has disappeared, another one I nearly completed then got sick of completely.
31] Battle Princess Madelyn (NSW) Gameplay vids make this look great, but the confusing as all hell layout quickly soured my opinion of it, got sick within an hour. My first Switch game too :(
32] Dynasty Tactics (PS2) Turn-based tactics isn't my thing anyway, despite liking the DW setting this one was dry as sticks and unplayable for me, both it and the sequel got traded in.
33] Hellmut: the Badass from Hell (NSW) Bog standard twin-stick shooter, got tired of it within minutes, need to be v. careful with my purchases, this really was a misfire.
34] Aggelos (NSW) Decently playable WBiMW clone with dodgy controls, got on fine till the last boss, who seems cheap as hell and eventually sickened me off it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:37:55 pm by shfan »

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:26:28 pm »
2019 New 52 Challenge

1. Destiny 2 (Xbox One) 1/1 - Beat
2. Moonlighter (Switch) 1/1 - Beat
3. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy) 1/1- Beat
4. Bayonetta (Switch) 1/5 - Beat
5. Balloon Kid (Gameboy) 1/11 - Beat
6. Bayonetta 2 (Switch) 1/13 - Beat
7. Mega Man 11 (Switch) 1/13 - Beat
8. I Am Setsuna (Switch) 1/31 - Beat
9. Bastion (Vita) 2/1 - Beat
10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) 2/4 - Beat
11. Castlevania Circle of the Moon (GBA) 2/26 - Beat
12. Shovel Knight (Switch) 2/27 - Beat
13. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) 3/4 - Beat
14. Uncharted Drakes Fortune (PS4) 3/13 - Beat
15. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) 3/29 - Beat
16. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) 4/6 - Beat
17. Final Fantasy IX (Switch) 4/6 - Beat
18. Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch) 4/8 - Beat
19. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) 4/9 - Beat
20. Super Meat Boy (Switch) 4/21 - Beat
21. Undertale (Switch) 4/29 - Beat
22. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) 4/30 - Beat
23. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) 5/6 - Beat
24. Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4) 5/8 - Beat
25. Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz (Vita) 5/11 - Beatish
26. Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Switch) 5/26 - Beat
27. Castlevania (Anniversary Collection) (Switch) 5/29 - Beat
28. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Switch) 5/30 - Beat
29. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Switch) 6/2 - Beat
30. Kirby's Adventure (Switch) 6/12 - Beat
31. Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4) 6/22 - Beat
32. Final Fantasy VII (Switch) 6/26 - Beat
33. Castlevania 2 (Switch) 6/30 - Beat
34. Castlevania 3 (Switch) 7/20 - Beat
35. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) 7/24 - Beat
36. Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Switch) 7/29 - Beat
37. Super Castlevania 4 (Switch) 7/31 - Beat
38. Dark Cloud (PS4) 8/15 - Beat
39. Guacamelee (Switch) 8/18 - Beat
40. Super Mario World (Switch) 9/10 - Beat
41. Star Fox (Switch) 9/12 - Beat
42. Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Switch) 9/16 - Beat
43. Super Metroid (Switch) 10/1 - Beat
44. The Last of Us (PS4) 10/11 - Beat
45. Kid Dracula (Switch) 10/19 - Beat
46. Dead Space (360) 10/24 - Beat
47. Little Nightmares (Switch) 10/25 - Beat
48. Silent Hill (PS1) 10/29 - Beat
49. Link's Awakening (Switch) 11/14 - Beat
50. The Legend of Zelda (NES/Switch) 11/19
51.Luigi's Mansion (3DS) 11/29
52. Dead Space 2 (360) 12/8
53. Dragon Quest (Switch) 12/8
54. God of War (PS2) 12/29

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 06:01:05 pm by justin8301 »

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »
I did 46 in 2018.  Let’s see if I can beat that!

1. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) - Beat
2. Ducktales (PS4) - Beat
3. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - (PS4) - Beat
  • Richter
  • Maria
4. Ratchet & Clank (2016) (PS4) - Beat
5. Paper Mario (Wii) - Beat
6. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - (PS4) - Beat
  • Leon A
  • Claire B
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - The Champions' Ballad (Switch) Beat
8. Tetris 99 (Switch) - 2nd Place
9. Dishonored 2 (XB1) - Beat
10. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (XB1) - Beat
11. Chip N Dale’s Rescue Rangers 2 (PS4) Beat
12. Talespin (PS4) - Beat
13. Darkwing Duck (PS4) - Beat
14. Ducktales 2 (PS4) - Beat
15. Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3) - Beat
16. Into the Breach (Switch) - Beat
17. The Evil Within (PS4) - Beat
18. Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition (PC) - Beat
19. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (PSVR) - Beat
20. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XB1) - Beat
21. Double Dragon Neon (XB1) - Beat
22. Ashen (XB1) - Beat
23. Resident Evil 5 (XB1) - Beat
24. Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch) - Beat
25. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (Switch) - Beat
26. Stardew Valley (Switch) - Community Center Complete
27. Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch) - Story Mode Complete
28. Mortal Kombat (2011) (PS3) - Beat
29. Mortal Kombat X (XB1) - Beat
30. The Messenger (Switch) - Beat
31. Knights of the Round (Switch) - Beat
32. Star Wars: Empire at War (PC) - Lost Save / Abandoned
33. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - Beat
  • Golden Deer
34. Tetris Effect (PSVR) - Beat
35. What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) - Beat
36. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (PS4) - Beat
37. No Man’s Sky (PS4 / PSVR) - Artemis Rescued
38. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (XB1) - Beat
39. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch) - Beat
40. The Unfinished Swan (PS4) - Beat
41. Until Dawn (PS4) - Beat
42. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PSVR) - Beat
43. Gato Roboto (Switch) - Beat
44. Celeste (Switch) - Beat
45: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - Platinum
46. The Last of Us - Left Behind (PS4) - Beat
47. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (XB1) - Beat
48. Cuphead (XB1) - Beat
49. Guacamelee (XB1) - Beat
50. Kid Dracula (Switch) - Beat
51. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (PC)  - Beat
52. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (PS4) - Beat
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:49:10 am by Cartagia »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 05:56:54 pm »
I skipped out this year, ready to jump back on 2019.  Shooting for 26, but let's see what happens. 

1.  Into the Breach- Beat 1/16/2019- This is one of those games where beating the game is really just scratching the surface, but I don't beat a ton of games so I'm going to count it.  Game is awesome. 
2. Celeste- Beat- 1/27/2019
3. Dragon Quest XI- Beat 7/7/19- Still got Post Game to do
4. Knack 2- Beat 1/20/2019- finally finished this one with my fiancee.  Gets a lot of hate but it's great co-op fun.  Dialogue/story is hilarious too. 
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Kingdom Hearts III
7. Rage 2- Beat 6/10/19
8. Katana Zero- Beat 6/8/19
9. Gris
10. Descenders-Beat 6/17/19
11. Doom (2016)- Currently Playing
12. Outer Wilds- Currently Playing
13. Sekiro Shadow Dies Twice- Currently Playing
14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2- Beat
15. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3- Beat
16. Tony Hawk Project 8- Beat
17. Arkista's Ring- Beat
18. Lost Odyssey
19. Cosmic Star Heroine
20. Dragon Quest Builders
21. Detroit Become Human
22. Donkey Kong Country 2- GBA- Beat
23. Donkey Kong Country 3- GBA- Beat 12/1/19
24. Death Stranding- PS4- Beat 12/12/19
25. Judgment

Only beat 13/52- better luck next year!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:52:43 am by NickAwesome »

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 05:57:57 pm »
I’ve just joined, but I would like a try at this!

Not sure I’ll manage 52, but I will give it a good crack  :)

Key
In progress
Beaten
Retired

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:44:35 am by rhinoceros »

telly

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »
New Games Played in 2019:
1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
2. Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)
3. Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNESc)
4. Metal Slug 3 (PS2)
5. Midnight Club: Los Angeles (PS3)
6. Shenmue III (PS4)
7. Saga Frontier (PS1)
8. Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
9. Tales of Berseria (PS4)

+ New Games Beat in 2019: (Click the link to see each post I made about the game!)    
10. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4) - 1.28
11. Undertale (PS4) - 2.24
12. Stardew Valley (PS4) - 3.8
13. Shantae: Risky's Revenge (PS4) - 3.17
14. (5.) Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4) - 4.5
15. Spelunky (PS4) - 4.16
16. The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4) - 5.5
17. Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 6.30
18. Shenmue (PS4) - 7.11
19. (10.) Ys Origin (PS4) - 7.27 
20. Titanfall 2 (PS4) - 8.8
21. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007 (DS) - 8.16
22. Final Fantasy X-2 (PS4) - 8.31
23. Shenmue II (PS4) - 11.2
24. (15.) Pokemon Y (3DS) - 11.26 
25. Hollow Knight (PS4) - 12.8
26. InFamous: Second Son (PS4) - 12.21

Games Replayed in 2019   
27. Final Fantasy X (PS4) - 1.4 
28. Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (PS4) - 3.19
29. (20.) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNESc) - 10.4

Previous Lists
2015 List - 27 finished, + 10 played but not finished
2016 List - 32 finished, + 16 played but not finished
2017 List - 26 finished, + 13 played but not finished
2018 List - 23 finished, + 6 played but not finished
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:49:46 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 06:14:56 pm »
January
1. VIP(PS1)
2. Rock'em Sock'em Robots Arena(PS1)
3. Tekken 3D: Prime Edtition(3DS)
4. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle(Xbox One)
5. Battle Arena Toshinden Remix(Saturn)
6. WWE 2K19(PS4)
7. The Town Of Light(XBO)
8. Vampyr(PS4)

February
9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Switch)
10. TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan(X360)
11. Mega Man 10(Switch)
12. REmake 2(PS4)
13. Mega Man 11(Switch)

May
14. Super Mario Bros.(SNES)

June
15. Mortal Kombat 11(PS4)

July
16. Axiom Verge(Switch)
17. Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon(Switch)

August
18. Capcom Beat Em Bundle(Switch)
19. Dead Or Alive 6(PS4)

September
20. Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid(Switch)
21. The Darkness II(Steam)

October
22. Bloodtained: Ritual Of The Night(PS4)
23. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening(Switch)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels(SNES)

December
25. SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy(Switch)
26. Rogue Warrior(Steam)-Replay
27. Spec Ops: The Line(Steam)-Replay
28. Her Story(Steam)
29. Primal Carnage(32X)

Playlist
Urban Chaos
Resident Evil 2
Kingdom Hearts III
Bloodtained: Ritual Of The Night
Undertale
Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
SoulCalibur VI
Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:34:17 pm by droaa »

kevininja

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »
January:
 1. Rogue Quest: The Vault of the Lost Tyrant (Steam) | January 1st - 0.7 hours | ★★☆☆☆
 2. DOOM 3 (Steam) | January 2nd - 10.6 hours | ★★★★☆
 3. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (Steam) | January 2nd - 3.4 hours | ★★★☆☆
 4. Princess Remedy 2: In A Heap of Trouble (Steam) | January 3rd - 1.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
 5. Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Steam) | January 6th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
 6. What Never Was (Steam) | January 13th - 0.4 hours | ★★★☆☆
 7. Vampyr (Steam) | January 13th - 27 hours | ★★★★☆
 8. A Story About My Uncle (Steam) | January 14th - 2.4 hours | ★★★★☆
 9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PSN) | January 16th - N/A | ★★★★☆
10. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Farewell (PSN) | January 16th - N/A | ★★★★★
11. inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4) | January 20th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
12. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4) | January 20th - 5.8 hours | ★★★☆☆
13. What Remains of Edith Finch (Epic) | January 21st - N/A | ★★★★☆
14. A Normal Lost Phone (Steam) | January 29th - 1.2 hours | ★★★☆☆

February:
15. Torchlight II (Steam) | February 3rd - 27 hours | ★★★★☆
16. Rogue Reaper (Steam) | February 3rd - 0.4 hours | ★★☆☆☆
17. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story (Steam) | February 4th - 1 hours | ★★★★☆
18. Evoland (Steam) | February 9th - 3.9 hours | ★★☆☆☆
19. Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise (Steam) | February 9th - 4.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
20. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition (Steam) | February 9th - 7.4 hours | ★★★☆☆
21. Star Wars: Republic Commando (Steam) | February 12th - 8 hours | ★★★★☆
22. Papers, Please (Steam) | February 16th - 2 hours | ★★★★★
23. Double Dragon (Steam) | February 17th - 0.8 hours | ★★☆☆☆
24. Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Steam) | February 17th - 1.4 hours | ★★☆☆☆
25. Star Wars: Dark Forces (Steam) | February 19th - 7.7 hours | ★★★★☆
26. The Reject Demon: Toko Chapter 0 - Prelude (Steam) | February 20th - 2 hours | ★★☆☆☆
27. Snake Pass (Steam) | February 23rd - 4.4 hours | ★★★★☆
28. A Tale of Caos: Overture (Steam) | February 24th | 7.2 hours | ★☆☆☆☆
29. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (Steam) | February 27th - 4.1 hours | ★★★☆☆
30. How To Cope With Boredom and Loneliness (Steam) | February 27th - 0.5 hours | ★★★☆☆

March:
31. Metal Slug 3 (Steam) | March 1st - 1.2 hours | ★★★☆☆
32. Victor Vran (Steam) | March 2nd - 8.3 hours | ★★★☆☆
33. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (Steam) | March 3rd - 3.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
34. Glass Masquerade + DLC (Steam) | March 9th - 7.4 hours | ★★★★☆
35. How to Survive (Steam) | March 10th - 9.8 hours | ★★★☆☆
36. Soul Gambler (Steam) | March 16th - 1.9 hours | ★★☆☆☆
37. Estranged: Act I (Steam) | March 19th - 1.6 hours | ★★★☆☆
38. Tekken 3 (PSC) | March 23rd - N/A | ★★★☆☆
39. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Steam) | March 28th - 35 hours | ★★★★★
40. Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4) | March 30th - N/A | ★★★☆☆

April:
41. Brawlout (Steam) | April 6th - 3.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
42. Portal (Steam) | April 14th - 2.5 hours | ★★★★☆
43. SUPERHOT (Steam) | April 20th - 2.5 hours | ★★★★☆

May:
44. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Steam) | May 19th - 23 hours | ★★★★☆
45. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in Northpoint (Steam) | May 20th - 1 hour | ★★★☆☆
46. F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (Steam) | May 21st - 1 hour | ★☆☆☆☆
47. Back to Bed (Steam) | May 22nd - 1.1 hours | ★★★☆☆
48. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (Steam) | May 25th - 9.2 hours | ★★★★☆
49. Hector: Badge of Carnage (Steam) | May 29th - 6.9 hours | ★★★☆☆
50. Max Payne 3 (Steam) | May 30th - 7.6 hours | ★★★★☆

June:
51. Tacoma (PC Download) | June 22nd - N/A | ★★★☆☆
52. missed messages. (Steam) | June 22nd - 0.5 hours | ★★★☆☆
53. Shadwen (Steam) | June 23rd - 5.4 hours | ★★★☆☆
54. Poker Night at the Inventory (Steam) | June 26th - 2.4 hours | ★★★☆☆

July:
55. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS) | July 1st - 11 hours | ★★★★☆
56. Tennis in the Face (Steam) | July 3rd - 2.5 hours | ★★☆☆☆
57. Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered (Steam) | July 7th - 11.5 hours | ★★★☆☆
58. Hard Reset Redux (Steam) | July 8th - 5.5 hours | ★★★☆☆
59. El Matador (Steam) | July 12th - 3.4 hours | ★★☆☆☆
60. Saints Row: The Third - Gangstas in Space (Steam) | July 15th - N/A | ★★☆☆☆
61. Saints Row: The Third - The Trouble With Clones (Steam) | July 15th - N/A | ★★☆☆☆
62. Saints Row: The Third - Genkibowl VII (Steam) | July 16th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
63. Monster Prom (Steam) | July 23rd - 0.5 hours | ★★★☆☆
64. Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps - The Heist (PS4) | July 24th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
65. Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps - Turf Wars (PS4) | July 25th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
66. Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps - Silver Lining (PS4) | July 25th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
67. Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch (Steam) | July 28th - 5.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
68. RAGE: The Scorchers (Steam) | July 30th - N/A | ★★★☆☆

August:
69. RAGE (Steam) | August 3rd - 21 hours | ★★★☆☆
70. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Steam) | August 7th - 6.3 hours | ★★★★☆
71. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS) | August 11th - 1.9 hours | ★★★★☆
72. Katana ZERO (Switch Download) | August 12th - ~4 hours | ★★★★☆
73. 3D Altered Beast (3DS) | August 12th - 0.8 hours | ★★☆☆☆
74. One Finger Death Punch 2 (Steam) | August 31st - 12.9 hours | ★★★☆☆

September:
75. Shatter (Steam) | September 3rd - 2.3 hours | ★★★★☆
76. The Hex (Steam) | September 4th - 4.6 hours | ★★★☆☆
77. Advent Rising (Steam) | September 7th - 9.1 hours | ★★☆☆☆
78. Kathy Rain (Steam) | September 8th - 3.6 hours | ★★★★☆
79. Pegasus-5: Gone Astray (Steam) | September 9th - 3.6 hours | ★★☆☆☆
80. To The Moon (GOG) | September 11th - 4.1 hours | ★★★★☆
81. Safety First! (Switch Download) | September 13th - ~1.0 hours | ★★★☆☆
82. Mutiny!! (Steam) | September 14th - 4.4 hours | ★★☆☆☆
83. The Blackwell Epiphany (Steam) | September 16th - 4.5 hours | ★★★★☆
84. Unavowed (Steam) | September 17th - 7.5 hours | ★★★★★
85. I Love You, Colonel Sanders! (Steam) | September 24th - 0.9 hours | ★★☆☆☆
86. RED HOT VENGEANCE (Steam) | September 27th - 1.4 hours | ★★☆☆☆
87. Bleed 2 (Steam) | September 27th - 1.0 hours | ★★★☆☆
88. Left 4 Dead 2 (Steam) | September 28th - 8.3 hours | ★★★★☆

October:
89. Borderlands 2 (Steam) | October 6th - 27 hours | ★★★★☆
90. Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty (Steam) | October 7th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
91. The Bradwell Conspiracy (Steam) | October 11th - 4.0 hours | ★★★☆☆
92. Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage (Steam) | October 12th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
93. Cold Fear (Steam) | October 13th - 5.8 hours | ★★★☆☆
94. Wizorb (Steam) | October 20th - 3.2 hours | ★★☆☆☆
95. Concrete Genie (PS4) | October 23rd - N/A | ★★★★★
96. Aragami: Nightfall (PSN) | October 24th - N/A | ★★★☆☆
97. MediEvil (PS4) | October 26th - N/A | ★★★★☆
98. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Steam) | October 30th - 18.9 hours | ★★★★☆

November:
99. Costume Quest (Steam) | November 1st - 5.5 hours | ★★★★☆
100. 428: Shibuya Scramble (Steam) | November 10th - 19.9 hours | ★★★★★
101. Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Steam) | November 14th - 2.0 hours | ★★☆☆☆
102. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Steam) | November 19th - 4.5 hours | ★★★★☆
103. APE OUT (Steam) | November 21st - 2.0 hours | ★★★☆☆
104. FULFILLMENT (Steam) | November 23rd - 0.3 hours | ★★★☆☆
105. Codename: Gordon (Steam) | November 24th - 1.2 hours | ★★☆☆☆
106. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (Steam) | November 27th - 2.0 hours | ★★☆☆☆
107. Hikaru's Cube (Steam) | November 28th - 0.8 hours | ★☆☆☆☆

December:
108. Peggle Extreme (Steam) | December 1st - 0.7 hours | ★★★☆☆
109. BUTCHER (Steam) | December 1st - 3.9 hours | ★★★★☆
110. Halo: Reach (Steam) | December 5th - 6.9 hours | ★★★★☆
111. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (Steam) | December 7th - 3.8 hours | ★★★★☆
112. My Friend Pedro (Steam) | December 15th - 4.1 hours | ★★★★☆
113. Clustertruck (Steam) | December 15th - 4.1 hours | ★★★☆☆
114. Guts and Glory (Steam) | December 17th - 6.1 hours | ★★★☆☆
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:25:54 am by kevininja »

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »
1. Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (PS1): Ironically this was one of the last games I beat last year, so what better what to start the new year than by playing its vastly inferior PS1 port lol. In all seriousness though, MSHvSF on the PS1 is not a bad game, but it's hard to play when stacked up next to the Saturn version which is arcade perfect. Compared to the Saturn version, the graphics look more dull and less crisp, the sound is noticeably poorer in quality, the FPS and gameplay is slower, and the loading times are 4 times longer. Perhaps the biggest offense of the PS1 version, however, is how it completely takes out the tag team gameplay and substitutes it for an assist character mechanic, which is also present in the Saturn version, but wth the added benefit of being able to tag out and actually play as the other character you selected. Not the PS1 version; the 2nd character you pick will just pop in and deliver a single attack before disappearing again. This significantly changes how you play this version and makes it far more shallow and less interesting to play overall. I dare say it almost changes the nature of the game so much that this should almost be called a different game all together. Again, not a bad game, but just play the Saturn version. (1/1/19) [35/50]

2. X-Men vs Street Fighter (PS1): Just like the PS1 port of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, the PS1 port of XvSF is vastly inferior to its Saturn port. However, in the case of XvSF, it's even more obvious. Every shortcoming that the PS1 port of MSHvSF has compared to the Saturn version is even more pronounced between the ports of XvSF. It doesn't end there however; the use of your secondary fighter is even more limited to just being able to use them during super moves which provides little to no strategy in the long run. Speaking of pointless/broken gameplay, this games pacing is even more stifled by blocking being OPed and having little consequence other than drawing out battles as long as possible. Despite this, the PS1 version of this game is still mostly fun, and if you do not have a Saturn or the means play the Saturn version of XvSF than it's okay I guess even if the PS1 version is so different and inferior that it's almost a totally different game. (1/2/19) [32/50]

3. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX): Years ago when I first bought this game, I remember popping it in my XBOX and playing through about half the game before quitting in frustration. Returning to Orta years later I was reminded why I left he game in anger, but to an extent that was in part due to this game being particularly difficult, even on easy mode. Orta is an on-rails shooter just like the first two games in the series, and allows you to attack and be attacked from 360 degrees around you. This creates some frantic and fast paced gameplay, but is also the cause of a lot of frustration as the controls to move the camera can easily overshoot or undershoot your intended direction. Likewise, Orta adds a speed up/area shift mechanic where you and your dragon change positions relative to an enemy, typically a boss. This shift mechanic seemed to not work sometimes when it should have, resulting in some very cheap hits from bosses that were unavoidable. Another mechanic in this game that was a mixed bag was the dragon mode select, which is an ability to change your dragon to be a heavy and powerful type, but with poor maneuverability, a light type with poor attack, but with enhanced maneuverability, or a balanced type in between. Changing modes changes the physical appearance of the dragon which is cool, but I found myself using the balanced type 95% of the time which begs the question why this mechanic is in the game at all. Overall though, the gameplay works and is mostly functional, albeit with a few glaring and annoying problems. Regarding the music and graphics, both are excellent, especially the art direction of the game which is incredibly interesting and really gets you invested in the world the Panzer Dragoon games take place. Speaking of world building, there are a ton of unlockable extras in this game which help enhance that world building aspect and fill you in on the lore, creatures, factions, and all kinds of other info regarding the Panzer Dragoon universe. The best unlockable of all, which luckily only requires the game to be beat once, is the ability to unlock a complete port of the original Panzer Dragoon. There is no denying this game is damn good value in that regard. I'd definitely recommend this game even if it is no Star Fox 64 or Sin and Punishment. (1/5/19) [37/50]

4. Tekken 3 (PS1): I was watching old Classic Game Room episodes and for anyone familiar with the show, Mark, the host, loves him some classic Tekken. I originally got inspired to play Tekken 2, a game I've barely played, but unfortunately my copy will not work. So I did the next best thing and played Tekken 3. I rented Tekken 3 a really long time ago and remember thinking it was pretty fun. My opinion of it has not changed as I find the gameplay to be excellent and the graphics and sound to be above average as well. Perhaps the thing I enjoyed the most was unlocking new characters, modes, and seeing each character's movie once you beat Arcade mode with them. Tekken Ball mode is fun, but it's no Tekken Bowl, but then again nothing is. This is definitely a fun game, however I'm just not as much of a fan of Tekken a many other's who consider it to be the seminal 3D fighting series. I can certainly understand why they'd feel this way about it, but for me I prefer the 2D fighters. Still an excellent game, even to this day. (1/8/19) [35/50]

5. Elevator Action Returns (PS2): Knowing nothing about the original game, I found out about its sequel from a random youtube video recommendation and thought it looked really cool. Luckily for me this game is available on the Taito Legends 2 compilation; outside of that it was in the arcade or there is a very pricy import Saturn version. So after playing through the game I'm left feeling like I just played an okay arcade game that I'm honestly not surprised I'd never heard of it; the graphics were fairly unremarkable, although I liked the stage design, but the enemies and stage props were very repetitive. The soundtrack was also mostly nothing to right home about, although it occasionally had some catchy rifts. The gameplay was far from polished either, having various parts that were impossible to avoid getting hit and the amount of enemies were very imbalanced at times. On top of that, the controls did not allow you to succeed during the more difficult parts of the game, instead you had to just keep on using continues to push through them. Despite this, I mostly had fun with this game and enjoyed it, but it is far from an arcade title I'd recommend to others. (1/9/19) [28/50]

6. Bug! (Saturn): There are several Saturn games that are very nostalgic for me. I had two friends growing up, Tony and Evan, each had a Sega Saturn and beyond hanging out with them playing their Saturn games was my favorite thing to do when I went to their houses. My friend Evan had Bug! which at the time I thought was a cool, quarky platformer with a very 90s cartoonish mascot character, in the vein of Earthworm Jim or Boogerman. In that regard Bug! is great, but my praise of this game mostly ends there. Playing Bug! now I'm able to see that while it was a pioneer in early 3D platforming, the game just doesn't play that well and the combination of very basic controls, very hard gameplay, and various issues such as enemies charging you/firing things at you off screen and extremely hard to gauge jumps due to the game's 3D environments, make for a pretty unenjoyable game. The soundtrack is nothing more than very cartoonish loops that are fitting at first and then get annoying after hearing them for more than 10-minutes. Bug makes goofy comments that don't overstay their welcome which is nice, but that's about the best I can say regarding the audio. And then there are the graphics, which are mostly very plain with stages being maze-like and filled with the same dozen or so enemies with some unique bosses at the end of each stage. Overall, Bug! isn't a terrible game, but it isn't a good game either. I will give the developers a hand for creating one of the earlier 3D platformers available before Super Mario 64 created the gold standard in that genre, but sadly I just feel like playing games like Donkey Kong Country 2, Sonic and Knuckles, and various other 2D platformers that came out during the same time that are way, way better. I'd give this one a solid pass unless you are curious to see 3D platforming before Super Mario 64 revolutionized that entire genre. (1/17/19) [21/50]

7. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): I remember how in awe I was regarding Shadow of the Colossus when I first played it earlier this decade on the PS2. I had a hard time believing I was actually playing a PS2 game given how visually stunning that game was. Unfortunately that level of awe is not carried over to the PS4 version, but still the remake of Shadow of the Colossus is an absolutely gorgeous game, especially the environments and various ruins throughout the game; they all leave you with a sense of wonder and awe, as well as a curiosity about the forbidden world the game takes place in. The soundtrack and overall soundtrack is also excellent, and I'm also a fan of them using a made up language for the characters with subtitles as I feel like it adds ro the game's immersion. My biggest gripe with Shadow of the Colossus and what holds it back from potentially being one of the best games I've ever played are the controls, particularly the climbing and platforming controls. I get that the game is trying to make things hard for you while you're attempting to slay a 50ft beast, but the camera has a bad habit of flipping out in the middle of the action, making certain fights needlessly hard. I also found the controls of the character, while riding the horse, and again while grabbing onto ledges clunky and unresponsive at times. You do sort of get used to the controls after a while, but you are still reminded nearly ever battle how much better they could have been. However, despite all of this, good and bad, the story, which is told minimally through the game's cut scenes and through a few short dialogue scenes is absolutely my favorite part; it gives you just enough info in order to leave a lot of the story up to your imagination which makes the game even more interesting than it already was. Combine this with one of my favorite video game endings and you have a game that is definitely worth playing at least once for the overall experience. This game is definitely in that masterpiece category, however for me it just doesn't cut in with how the game plays. (1/21/19) [39/50]

8. House of the Dead (Arcade): Growing up there were several arcade games that were staples of my childhood. House of the Dead and it's sequel were among the most memorable to me given how violent they were; you could blow individual limbs off zombies as well as decapitate them, or if you really wanted just blow their entire torso off. It was unlike anything else I'd seen in the arcades and it definitely left an impression on me back then. However, at a point I had a really hard time ever seeing one of these machines anywhere, in fact I used to see House of the Dead 2 in arcades more at a ratio of 10:1 when that game came out. Because of this, and the very good Dreamcast port of House of the Dead 2, I played it significantly more growing up. However, a local barcade chain opened a new location just 10-minutes from where I live and as luck would have it they have a very clean House of the Dead machine that has allowed me to spend some serious time with this machine over the past month. At 25-cents a credit I have been able to play through the whole game twice. I first played through a few weeks ago and afterwards I thought about writing this review then, but something bothered me; when I went to score House of the Dead it ended up a point higher than its sequel, a game I have played way, way more over the years for the reasons mentioned above. I wasn't convinced and decided I'd do another full playthrough before delivering my final judgement, and having done so today here are my thoughts. While House of the Dead 2 is a longer game, has slightly better bosses, and the bad voice acting is the stuff of legends, the overall experience in the first game just feels more unique and cool. House of the Dead 2 takes place almost entirely in a dreary looking European city, and despite each area taking place in a different part of the city, it still has that dilapidated, dreary look. That doesn't change until the final two levels, with the final level being kind of bland honestly. House of the Dead does not suffer from this issue at all; each level is unique and distinct from the last, and because it all takes place in a giant house and the surrounding areas, it makes this even more impressive and cool. I just love the stages, stage layouts, and branching paths more in the first House of the dead even though there are only 4 of them compared to 6 in the sequel. The music in each game are about equal in terms of quality, but the voice acting in the second game gives it the edge in sound. The tie breaker comes in gameplay, since the arcade cabinet has a precision that none of the Dreamcast lightguns can match. Th Dreamcast version does play well, but the slightly diminished accuracy gives the Arcade version of the first House of the Dead the edge. It's just too bad the Saturn port of House of the Dead is so subpar compared to the arcade; I really, really, really hope Sega decides to release House of the Dead and other classic arcade lightgun games to home consoles someday in their arcade perfect quality. Until then, however, I guess I'm fortunate to have the game so close to me and accessible. (1/27/19) [37/50]

9. Street Fighter Zero (Saturn): I absolutely adore Mid 90s to early 2000s Capcom fighting games, particularly many of the Street Fighter or games based on the Street Fighter engines of that time. I feel like Street Fighter Zero was really one of the pioneer games that really launched this progression that would eventually give us incredible Street Fighter titles like the later alpha games, many of the Capcom vs games, and also Street Fighter III and its subsequent releases. However, being a pioneer in this movement of fighting games, the first Alpha game, aka Zero in Japan, lacks the refinement and plosh that exists in many of the titles that followed. This is particularly evident in the graphics and sound which are even inferior to earlier releases like Super Street Fighter II, although the character sprites are admittedly better looking. However, the biggest improvement over the early 90s Street Fighter II titles is the gameplay which has a speed and polish to it that greatly improves upon those earlier games. This already excellent gameplay would later be improved on even more in later Capcom fighting game releases until I feel like it was perfected in titles like Third Strike, Alpha 3, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. On its own, Zero is a very fun game, but definitely not the level of game that later Capcom fighters of this era are, especially in terms of presentation. (1/29/19) [32/50]

10. Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Dreamcast): Out of all the games in the Street Fighter franchise, I've probably spent the least time with the third game and its various versions. Growing up I never saw this game anywhere, and it wasn't until I was older that I ever realized there even was a third game in the Street Fighter series. But after playing the Third Strike release pretty extensively, I can easily say Capcom definitely left there seal of quality on this title as well. The sprite graphics look great in this game, as do the backgrounds despite not being as memorable as Super Street Fighter 2 or even Alpha 3. Audio-wise this game has a great dance/jazz ost that definitely compliments the gameplay, which by the way is this game's strongest asset; the fighting mechanics are near perfect in this game and the gameplay is fast and smooth, although I'm not a fan of having to select one of three specials when selecting your character instead of having all of them available whenever you want to use them. With so much praise of this game, I have to wonder why I didn't like this game more. On a personal level this game felt fairly generic and unlike pretty much every other Street Fighter game I've played it just wasn't that memorable to be honest. Regardless it's a great game and certainly worth checking out for any 2D Fighting game fan. (2/2/19) [38/50]

11. Dynamite Deka (Saturn): Most people know this game as Diehard Arcade and the Japanese version is no different other than the in-game text being in Japanese; even the voice acting is the same campy english audio found in the US version. Dynamite Deka does suffer from a common issue with games of the Beat em' up genre in that it can get repetitive after a while, but luckily this game remedies that by making the enemies, stages, bosses, and overall game as diverse, interesting and fun as possible. Also, for better or worse, this is one of the shortest Beat em' ups I've ever played which is saying a lot since most of these games take under an hour to beat; my final playthrough before writing this clocked in at around 20-minutes. Regardless, this is a very fun Beat em' up. There is a cool combo system that allows you to pull off quite a lot of moves not seen in many other games of this genre, almost making it feel like a fighting game at times. Also, the inclusion of various gun, melee weapons, and random objects in the environment make for a very fun and diverse game as you play through the game's stages, which blend together very well, making it feel like a fun adventure getting to the end of the game. And as mentioned, the voice acting, mainly all done by the main villain is campy as hell, which just adds to the game's charm. While it may be held back by the genre it belongs to, Dynamite Deka is definitely one of the best examples of great Beat em' ups and truly a classic on the Saturn. (2/10/19) [36/50]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:21:22 am by bikingjahuty »

mizzach86

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:24 pm »
I'm in again. I started halfway through the year last year so we'll see what I can pull off from the beginning.

This year I'm going to focus on games I've never beaten or even played, especially newer games, since I ended up replaying a lot of games I have beaten before last year. For each game I'm also going to decide on "completion requirements" for when I can add the game to my "completed" list and I'll be posting those in future posts as well. I also made a resolution to learn how to play fighting games proper, so I'll probably have 2 or 3 of those I'll be playing all year  :)

I'll start with games I got for Christmas. Good luck to everyone!

Games I’m Playing
Star Fox 64 3D (2011) [3DS]
Hitman (2016) [PS4]
Mega Man Legacy Collection (2015) [PS4]
Doom 3: BFG Edition (2012) [Steam]
Doom (2016) [PS4]
Mortal Kombat 11 (2019) [PS4]
Mortal Kombat (2011) [PS3]
Ratchet & Clank Collection (2012) [PS3]
Spiral Scouts, The (2018) [Steam]
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (2015) [PS4]
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (2017) [NS]
Mutant Mudds Collection (2017) [NS]
Dead Space (2008) [PS3]
Okami (2006) [PS4]

Games I’ve Completed
1. Overcooked (2016) [PS4]
2. Super Mario Odyssey (2017) [NS]
3. Mega Man 4 (1991) [PS4]
4. Batman: Arkham City (2011) [PS3]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:17:56 pm by mizzach86 »

shatterstar69

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 03:16:06 am »
First attempt at this and my backlog is so huge that I don’t really know where to start
I mainly want to focus on the Final Fantasy games I have never finished namely 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 15.
I have also never actually finished any of the Assassin’s Creed games.  I mainly want to focus on Ezio’s
Trilogy (2, Brotherhood and Revelations).  My criteria for games is to focus on Main Story completion and
ignore trophy hunting

Completed:
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Batman The Telltale Series
Borderlands 3
Final Fantasy II: Dawn of Souls Edition
Final Fantasy III - PSP
Final Fantasy V Advance
Game of Thrones
Infamous
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix